2001 1.4 TDi SE FM/AM reception Issues

Putty1981

Good evening all,

First time poster but have been utilising other things from the forum to help with my Wife's A2.

No matte how hard I look i can't seem to find anything to help me with our issue.

Her A2 has a Pioneer aftermarket head unit fitted and the FM reception is not great, I popped the head unit out yesterday and the aerial jack wasn't all the way in. Pushed it in and slight improvement but no matter how hard i try, i can't seem to find a location for the aerial to have a jiggle at source (as it were)

Can anyone point me in the right direction please? TIA πŸ‘

The antenna's are attached to the rear window, hidden under the material covers on the tailgate.

A likely cause for poor radio reception is the diversity antenna that's in the boot floor compartment. It can get wet and corrode. Let me know if you need any of the parts.

Good evening all,

First time poster but have been utilising other things from the forum to help with my Wife's A2.

No matte how hard I look i can't seem to find anything to help me with our issue.

Her A2 has a Pioneer aftermarket head unit fitted and the FM reception is not great, I popped the head unit out yesterday and the aerial jack wasn't all the way in. Pushed it in and slight improvement but no matter how hard i try, i can't seem to find a location for the aerial to have a jiggle at source (as it were)

Can anyone point me in the right direction please? TIA πŸ‘
The A2 antenna (aerial) usually has an amplier, (as @A2Steve describes). It requires a 12 volts supply to work. This would have been supplied by the original Audi radio, via the coax cable. With an after market radio, you must provide it yourself, as non OEM radios do not include it. You fit an inline adaptor to the coax, at the radio end, which will have a fly lead, usually blue, which should connected to the new radio. The connection to use will be described as for electric retractable antennas, and amplier.
Something like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/11336048...2KU0EqzTiC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Mac.

The antenna's are attached to the rear window, hidden under the material covers on the tailgate.

A likely cause for poor radio reception is the diversity antenna that's in the boot floor compartment. It can get wet and corrode. Let me know if you need any of the parts.
You may not have a Diversity amp. If the original radio was a Chorus, (radio + cassette), it was not fitted, just a simple antenna amp, but still requires the 12 volts.
Mac.

You may not have a Diversity amp. If the original radio was a Chorus, (radio + cassette), it was not fitted, just a simple antenna amp, but still requires the 12 volts.
Mac.
You learn something every day! Does the Chorus not have the same AM/FM section as the CD version? So why no diversity amp.

You learn something every day! Does the Chorus not have the same AM/FM section as the CD version? So why no diversity amp.
I'd think they were much the same, yes. I have no idea what Audi's logic was, seems daft to me. Spotted it when looking at the electrical schematic for someone's radio problem. Can only think it's down to a zealous accountant,trying to hit a price point.
Mac.

Is it possible/practical to retrofit a diversity aerial system? I suspect my car initially had a cassette radio. I have replaced this with a cd radio and the fm performance is very poor

Is it possible/practical to retrofit a diversity aerial system? I suspect my car initially had a cassette radio. I have replaced this with a cd radio and the fm performance is very poor
First check if you have a Diversity thingy in the boot, just to be sure.
Retrofit would, I think, be difficult, as, in addition to the Diversity, you'd need to fit the extra antenna too. I think they're in the C pillar, but I'm not sure about that. Edit: There are three additional antennas, making four in all. They are all in the tailgate.
Have you got the inline 12 volts adaptor fitted? You need that, even with the single antenna.
Mac.

Last edited:
Bummer, no diverstiy unit and it was originally a chorus HU
Do you have rear speakers?
Maybe @Clackers or @A2Steve can help with the location of the extra antenna, there are three, and if they could be removed from a breaker,
complete with cables, then retrofit might be a runner. Depends how much trim has to come off.
I've PM'd you circuit details.
Mac.
Edit: There are four antenna with the Diversity system. One is the rear hatch glass element, one in each C pillar, no idea where fourth is, maybe in tailgate?
Anyone know? I'm sure someone does ...
Mac.
Edit again, here they are, not in C pillar, all in the tailgate.
Mac.
Screenshot 2023-01-24 16.42.41.png

Last edited:
Yes it has a factory fit Bose system which is odd.
Yes, definitely, very odd. All four antenna are in the tailgate, so unless they had two version of the rear screen, they may be there, needing just the associated amplifiers.
Maybe @timmus will see this, and enlighten us.
Mac.

Unless the aerial amp is somewhere else in a Bose fit?
The radio and the aerial input is the same, Bose or non Bose, Chorus or Concert.
Bose replaces the radio's audio amp with a Bose amp, driven from the radio's line out. The only difference between an Audi Bose radio, and non Bose is in the setup coding. This can be changed with vcds.
Mac.

Hi folks,

Cars that left the factory with the Chorus II head unit did not get the diversity antenna system fitted. The Chorus II isn’t capable of supporting diversity antennas, so the diversity gear would have been redundant if installed.

The presence of Bose has no impact on the standard of antenna system installed, nor the fitting locations of any associated parts.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi folks,

Cars that left the factory with the Chorus II head unit did not get the diversity antenna system fitted. The Chorus II isn’t capable of supporting diversity antennas, so the diversity gear would have been redundant if installed.

The presence of Bose has no impact on the standard of antenna system installed, nor the fitting locations of any associated parts.

Cheers,

Tom
That's interesting, and explains why Diversity is absent from the @simufly car.
What is the technical difference between the Concert, that supports the Diversity, and the Chorus that doesn't?
Also, is the multi antenna hardware, (less the antenna amps), present in non Diversity cars?
Mac.

Back