505.01 better than 507.00 for our TDIs?

Xiter

Was spending some internet time this night and came across the thread below which makes you really wonder if the 505.01 engine oil, like the Castrol EDGE Turbo Diesel 5W-40, would be better suited for our TDIs since it was developed especially for the PD engines. The longlife aspect of this discussion is of course put aside.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=244676

Hi!
Have just read that thread and it is entirely inconclusive.
In my experience, running a half decent fully synthetic oil of the correct viscosity and changing it every year/10k or before it starts getting black is the best way to protect your engine.
The 507 spec I understood to be more thermally stable over long periods of time that older generations of oil? Happy to be corrected on this.

Still for the sake of £35 and a £5 filter I change mine at least once a year, even though I could go longer.

The thread may be inconclusive but it raises questions on which oil is better for it's intended application. And in our case, it's the protection of the PD technology. The 507.00 is approved but if there is an alternative that is better for our PD engines without the need of DPF protection additives, I'm interested.

Interesting. Is the DPF fitted an all TDIs or from a specific year? What is the difference between the ones fitted to the A2 and the latest generation of DPF's?

Back