5w30 synthetic forever...?

Marts500

Should i stick to this oil grade at 74,000 miles (1.4 petrol)In the old days as an engine wore sometimes a slightly higher viscosity oil was recomended.

chb...maybe you don't know...this 1.4 petrol is old project(nineties).in this years the synthetic oil not in use.
in germany(first year of 2000)audi/vw have put on this engine the mobil s2000.(in italy agip sint2000 10w40).
many tymes(imho this is one of this case)is only business deal.
my car whit mobil 10w40 run very well(i use from 3 years).

Possibly in the sunny climate of beautiful italy a higher viscosity oil is recommended, but 5w30 vw507 spec oils are just more advanced and offer better protection to all engines than more simple oils.
In my old 1998 volvo I always used 0w40 synthetic, which is a higher spec than asked for by volvo at launch, but its still a better oil, amd that car did 180,000 miles before I sold it.
Synthetic oil has been sold for more than 25 years,but its only become common in the last 15 or so. Naturally I am speaking for the UK market, so our customs and beliefs might be different!

please pay attention, you can find the viscosity required on the car maintenance handbook.
Use that kind of oil with that vw specs, independently from the climate.
you can change the viscosity in extreme condition, like siberian climate or african climate, but not the european temperatures.
An harder oil can increase fuel consumption and could find difficulties to pass through smallest holes in the engine; a thinner oil could not provide an acceptable lubrication.
So use the oil grade required by the vw!
bye

Using 5W30 oil as an example, the viscosity rating means the following;

5W is the winter viscosity.
30 is the summer viscosity.

Oil manufacturers and the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) have left out the "S" from the second number to avoid confusion.

Always use the oil specified by the vehicle manufacturer - in the case of the Audi A2, it is 5W30 conforming to VW 507 000.

blue skies
tony

Last edited:
Lets hope im not a bore but 5w30 is to be always used and recommend for a A2 (TDI90) no matter milage??
I drive in sweden where winter can be somewhat colder than UK but almost same summer & autumn temps.

Last edited:
In my handbook for my 1.4 Petrol it states that VW 500 00, VW 500 02 or 501 01 should be used for a yearly service.

Oil spec has superceded 500 + 501 since then.
you should be ideally using 505 if not 507 if you want a long life oil which I change yearly,cant be bad using a better oil for less?

Back