90 TDI 175k

tobee1k

Hi everyone, after a fairly brief distraction with a MK1 TT, I am returning to the world of A2s. I have paid a deposit on a 2005 90 TDI, fairly high miles (175k), but decent history including DMF/clutch, timing belt and regular servicing. The seller seems honest and has owned the car for the last 5 years, so I'm feeling pretty confident that the car is as-described. So I'm wondering if there are any particular things to be looking at on a car of that mileage? Any parts/major jobs I should expect and/or things that should have been done at this point? Aside from the usual stuff, I'm not aware of big jobs, but then I've never had something at this mileage and hoping to avoid, or at least prepare myself for a big bill.

If it's still on the original suspension arms they will be the hollow pressed steel ones which corrode from the inside out :eek: At the very least, check them thoroughly, better to replace them with the cast type. At that mileage it would also be worth doing the balancer shaft chain, guides and sprockets at your next cambelt change, as the cambelt has to come off to do this.

Back