A guide to getting the correct key for your original A2 locking wheel bolts

steve_c

Grumpy OAP & A2OC Donor
It happens all too often - you only find out that you've mislaid the key when you need to undo a locking wheel bolt. Fortunately, for those who still have their original locking bolts, it's easy enough to get hold of a new key from some VW or Audi dealer,s TPS, or most certainly via eBay.

Take a clear photo of the socket in your wheel bolt, and use that photo to count the number of splines. These keys are universally known as VW ABC keys and there are 10 options, starting at VW ABC 0 and going up to VW ABC 9

VW ABC 0 - 10 splines

VW ABC 1 - 11 splines

VW ABC 2 - 13 splines

VW ABC 3 - 14 splines

VW ABC 4 - 15 splines

VW ABC 5 - 16 splines

VW ABC 6 - 17 splines

VW ABC 7 - 19 splines

VW ABC 8 - 20 splines

VW ABC 9 - 21 splines

It's a good idea to own at least two of the appropriate keys, which covers you against accidental loss of one of them. I have three, keeping one untouched beneath the floor in the boot, a second one in the glovebox, and the third lives in my home toolbox.

Those who long term have 2 or more A2s could consider obtaining matching wheel bolts, so that the same key will cover all your A2s. Used sets of locking wheel bolts with the appropriate key are easily found for sale.

None of this helps those people whose A2s have had their original locking wheel bolts replaced. Unless you know who supplied the replacements, and have the code to order a new matching key, you will almost certainly have to resort to a degree of force to shift those bolts.

Last edited:
I shall get on Steve. For those that have lost their keys could they not go to an Audi/VW dealer and say they want to buy one and could the dealer try their master set. It would only take them a minute to try the 10 keys and on average they would find the right one after 5 tries.

Edit: If one can count the splines then surely one can count the grooves in the bolt? Use a marker pen to mark the start.

Last edited:
It happens all too often - you only find out that you've mislaid the key when you need to undo a locking wheel bolt. Fortunately, for those who still have their original locking bolts, it's easy enough to get hold of a new key from any VW or Audi dealer, TPS, or via eBay.

Take a clear photo of the socket in your wheel bolt, and use that photo to count the number of splines. These keys are universally known as VW ABC keys and there are 10 options, starting at VW ABC 0 and going up to VW ABC 9

VW ABC 0 - 10 splines

VW ABC 1 - 11 splines

VW ABC 2 - 13 splines

VW ABC 3 - 14 splines

VW ABC 4 - 15 splines

VW ABC 5 - 16 splines

VW ABC 6 - 17 splines

VW ABC 7 - 19 splines

VW ABC 8 - 20 splines

VW ABC 9 - 21 splines

It's a good idea to own at least two of the appropriate keys, which covers you against accidental loss of one of them. I have three, keeping one untouched beneath the floor in the boot, a second one in the glovebox, and the third lives in my home toolbox.

Those who long term have 2 or more A2s could consider obtaining matching wheel bolts, so that the same key will cover all your A2s. Used sets of locking wheel bolts with the appropriate key are easily found for sale.

None of this helps those people whose A2s have had their original locking wheel bolts replaced. Unless you know who supplied the replacements, and have the code to order a new matching key, you will almost certainly have to resort to a degree of force to shift those bolts.
Can't possibly imagine how this thread came about.

Great post and I am sure many will turn to it from time to time :D

I shall get on Steve. For those that have lost their keys could they not go to an Audi/VW dealer and say they want to buy one and could the dealer try their master set. It would only take them a minute to try the 10 keys and on average they would find the right one after 5 tries.

Edit: If one can count the splines then surely one can count the grooves in the bolt? Use a marker pen to mark the start.

How helpful your Audi / VW dealer would be depends very much on the particular dealer. The Audi dealer in Norwich wouldn't give you the time of day, I'm afraid.

These are low value items intended for vehicles which are long out of support.

Count the splines, count the grooves, yes there's plenty of ways of coming up with the right answer. Start with a clear photo and you'll likely get it right first time.

I contacted Tom @CreweAudi , who tells me that they are no longer able to supply new keys, preferring to supply a new set of bolts with the matching key instead, so no doubt that will spread through the VAG network as existing supplies dry up.

Most eBay listings offer 3rd party keys of variable quality, but there are certainly a small number who offer genuine VW ABC keys. I purchased mine from this seller, who supplied me with keys that were clearly genuine:

Back