A heartbreaking decision and the end of an incredible journey

Darren C

Admin Team
Evening all,

I hope this finds you and yours safe and well.

This is a thread I hoped I'd never write but alas here I am. Due to circumstances beyond my control, and in the interests of the welfare of my family and I, my prized A2 has passed through my grasp and tonight has a new owner.

It was a gut wrenching decision and one made with the heaviest of hearts. Anyone that knows me and my (former) A2 will know it was a part of me and me a part of it. I gave my everything, time, love, energy, and investment to make the car as close to a new A2 as I could. It was a pleasure to own and I am very proud of the car that it became and the car that I sold.

The new owner will be along to announce themselves in due course. The new owner is well-known and I know the car has found a custodian that will cherish it as it deserves and as I did. Importantly, she, yes Porscha, now has a warm garage to bed down in, far better than being exposed to the elements on my drive. I wish the new owner every happiness - enjoy, I'm incredibly envious already.

As for me, I joined A2OC in 2005. With the exception of a brief sabbatical, I have been a constant on here. I have spent most of this time in an admin role, helping to steer the good ship A2OC, uphold and strengthen club and community ethics and support/lead in the running of this fine club (software aside, this accolade goes solely to the wonderful and talented @ben). Often at the cost of personal and family time, this club has been at the centre of my life, a burden, sometimes, but much more often a joy.

With the odd exception, plus some very difficult and unpleasant disputes and challenging members, this familial club consists of some wonderfully warm and genuine people. The uniqueness of the A2 appeals to a diverse membership and the community spirit that is centric to A2OC is a revelation, the support, helpfulness, knowledge and camaraderie all make this club 'the' best there is.

I don't presently know my A2OC future, whether the time is right that I bow out gracefully or whether I will stay on. The hurt of the sale means that the future is just that, I'm not thinking beyond today.

Whether I stay or whether I go, ultimately A2OC has been a large part of my life. It has been an honour and a privilege to serve you and this fine club. I hope that I have managed to fulfil the brief of admin and that my personal style and character has by and large yielded a positive contribution.

For now, let me take this opportunity to wish each and every one of you and your families a very Merry Christmas and may health, happiness and prosperity be yours throughout 2023 and beyond.

Keep safe and happy motoring A2OC'ers.

Darren

It's been a pleasure meeting you and your lovely family on a few occasions at socials. I certainly hope our paths cross again in the future, if only for Keiran to get his revenge at table football.
All the very best to you and your family, please don't be a stranger.
I have a feeling I know who the new owner of your beautiful A2 is but I will wait for the big reveal, but if I am right I think you can be assured that it will be looked after.
All the very best 😍

Thanks Mandy, incredibly humbled and touched by your kindness. An emotional Darren, just became more emotional still, in a good way though. ❤️

I certainly hope our paths cross again too. Btw, you can tell Martin that Kieran has been practicing for the next round of table football. ;)

Have a lovely Christmas. ❤️

It's been a pleasure meeting you and your lovely family on a few occasions at socials. I certainly hope our paths cross again in the future, if only for Keiran to get his revenge at table football.
All the very best to you and your family, please don't be a stranger.
I have a feeling I know who the new owner of your beautiful A2 is but I will wait for the big reveal, but if I am right I think you can be assured that it will be looked after.
All the very best 😍

Reactions: RZX
Evening Darren,

Still saddened by this news and hope 2023 is a much better year for you Sir. It’s certainly been a privilege working along side you on the Team and hope that you remain with us.

Just seen Ian’s post on a separate thread, I’m sure I’ll be able to provide you an Aluminium-friend-fix when I’m passing MK now and then.

Stay safe mate, keep in touch and have a great Christmas.

Kind regards,

Tom

Darren, thanks very much for all your efforts. I'm not really a car forum type, all the other car forums I've explored very quickly turned me off them. This one is a gem, and I spend far too much time on it. You and the other admins should be proud of the efforts you put into it, there will be loads of members and their little Alu friends that wouldn't still be around here without folks like you. i hope you get back into an A2 soon - there's a really shiny fast one in S Wales that will be for sale soon, i expect....😂

Darren, though we’ve not met in person, I have had the pleasure of seeing your beautiful car at WOM on one occasion so I can understand what a wrench it must have been to let go. Thank you for all your efforts as far as A2OC go. I know you have been a huge part of it for a very long time and hope you can continue but as you say, that’s for another day.

Sorry to hear this Darren, my very wishes to you, Di, Kieron and Kayleigh. Really enjoyed our time together in West Wales and Scotland a few years ago. A great guy, lovely family and a real loss to the club. We’ll look after it though so it’s still in good shape if you decide to check-in in the future.

What a hard day this must of been Darren. Your A2 and A2OC have been in your blood, so to speak, for 17 years, and the club is in very good shape because of your commitment. Thank you so much. I hope the future improves things for you and your family before too long.

Greetings Darren,

Greatly saddened by your news, wishing you and your family all the best for Christmas and the New Year and thanking you hugely for your help.
I applaud the final destination of your beautiful car and know that it will be cherished and admired, and not allowed out in the wet!

Kind regards,

Simon

Hi Darren, sad news thanks for everything you have done for the club over the years, you will be missed! Looks like we wont get to finally meet up with A2s, or you make the MK audi meet I was pestering you about, even though I'm only a mile away!
I must sort out picking up the handbrake cables as well.

I'm in a similar place, going to sell one or both of my two 90s now, just need to organize an advert, still avoiding doing it though after all the work I have put into the pair of them!

All the best, and hope you enjoy the Christmas break.

Sorry to hear this. 😟

Hope things improve for you and thanks for the memories.

1671747833250.png

All the best to you.

Sorry to hear you’ve parted with your prized car, i also believe I know who’s been a lucky chap

On the occasions we’ve met you’ve been welcoming and taken time to converse, your passion for the club and car was so evident.

Hopefully it won’t be an extended sabbatical.

All the best
Steve

Sent from thin air

Darren, so sorry to hear your news. This forum is an exemplar of how these should be run. It is by far the best managed forum of like minded, tolerant, helpful people I have come across, online. This does not happen by accident it is by good management.
Thank you for all that you have done and it was a pleasure meeting you and your family at the social gatherings. Best wishes for the future.

Geoff

Darren, I never thought I'd read this. It was a pleasure to have met you a couple of times and we hope to see you at some point in the future.

All the best and good luck whatever the future brings.

Ian, Adam, Georgia and Katrina.

So sorry to hear this news Darren.
I remember the help you gave me when I was agonising over parting with my Tdi . Think on reflection I should have looked for a 1.4 petrol. So if you could point me in the direction of someone in the club who could let me take a look at theirs I’d be grateful. As you know I live near you in Northampton. Cheers Steve

DC I empathise with you whole-heartedly, increasingly being in the same situation myself with regard to keeping Tank.

When it comes to the health and welfare of your family including yourself, that is a different matter though and if the sale of Porscha although difficult, is a no brainer when such matters are at stake.

I keep many happy memories of you and Di and the many socials we shared in what always seemed to be sunnier times (apart from the frosty morning when we woke to ice on the tents at Chatsworth Rally).

As one of the instigators of a challenging time you mention love, I can only offer humble apologies for any hurt caused. I am so glad you were forgiving enough to have me back in the fold some years later and although not as active as I once was, I shall always be here in the background when needed and I truly hope that you can find the strength to do likewise, even if on a very low-level basis. The fact that you're around is comfort in itself, in a year when we have lost such a stalwart as Spike, we need people like you around. Ownership of an A2 isn't mandatory for membership, and who knows, you could end up with another in time - stranger things have happened!!

So, I thank you for the good times, for your help and support, for being DC and hope you don't cut ties with the club, but do take the time to get the family in a better place. Big hugs to you and the family - you know my personal thoughts on personal matters, as I've PMd you in the past. My phone number is the same, I'm always here to talk to when the bleak hours come.

You are and will always be a fine bloke and one who it is a privilege to have met.

Merry Xmas to you all.

M.

Thanks M, incredibly humbling to read. Very kind words indeed, too kind. Reciprocated buddy, we’ve made some fabulous memories over the years. I recall our collecting the club awards at the Audi Driver International gala dinner with immense fondness and pride. Seems like only yesterday bizarrely. I’ve still got the issue in hard copy. So many good times.

I’ll be in touch for sure in the New Year. For now, best wishes to your good self, Melena and Raffaele, have the best of Christmas’ ever.

DC I empathise with you whole-heartedly, increasingly being in the same situation myself with regard to keeping Tank.

When it comes to the health and welfare of your family including yourself, that is a different matter though and if the sale of Porscha although difficult, is a no brainer when such matters are at stake.

I keep many happy memories of you and Di and the many socials we shared in what always seemed to be sunnier times (apart from the frosty morning when we woke to ice on the tents at Chatsworth Rally).

As one of the instigators of a challenging time you mention love, I can only offer humble apologies for any hurt caused. I am so glad you were forgiving enough to have me back in the fold some years later and although not as active as I once was, I shall always be here in the background when needed and I truly hope that you can find the strength to do likewise, even if on a very low-level basis. The fact that you're around is comfort in itself, in a year when we have lost such a stalwart as Spike, we need people like you around. Ownership of an A2 isn't mandatory for membership, and who knows, you could end up with another in time - stranger things have happened!!

So, I thank you for the good times, for your help and support, for being DC and hope you don't cut ties with the club, but do take the time to get the family in a better place. Big hugs to you and the family - you know my personal thoughts on personal matters, as I've PMd you in the past. My phone number is the same, I'm always here to talk to when the bleak hours come.

You are and will always be a fine bloke and one who it is a privilege to have met.

Merry Xmas to you all.

M.

Back