A2 1.4 BBY Oil Leak

Hi folks

Any ideas on this oil leak on my 2002 1.4i BBY engine - seems to be coming onto the exhaust manifold cover :

1710769153880.png

What is the oil tap?
1710776882333.png

Plastic expands over the time, while a gasket under the tap compresses, so it becomes flimsy, which leads to leaks (and sometimes even compression problems, as has been noted before on this forum).

In fact, I have added an additional gasket when I changed the tap (but I am lucky to work for rubber sector so I have access to materials).

That filler lid used to seep a bit on our AUA for the exact reason mentioned (and easily fixed with a new lid), although I've never seen liquid oil cascading onto the exhaust heat shield like that - if it was that loose I would have expected the OP to mention repeated engine lights and error codes relating to air ingress?

Oil pressure switch leakage caused a dribble of oil down the front of the engine on ours but that was to the right of this area and I doubt it would spray sideways that violently.

Try giving that area a damn good clean and see if you can track the leakage sequentially back to where it is coming from.

Is it actually oil or just something that has burned onto the heat-shield surface after dripping through that now looks like oil due to caramelisation - could it be something leaking through the bonnet air intake area (looking at the drip marks in the middle)?

Cleaning the area is a good idea indeed.
There is some browning under the head cover bolt, could be a leak from there.
Is it actually oil or just something that has burned onto the heat-shield surface after dripping through that now looks like oil due to caramelisation - could it be something leaking through the bonnet air intake area (looking at the drip marks in the middle)?
Or through the water outlets in the bonnet, if a nozzle is distorted (and they often are) it could spray literally anywhere under the hood. Assuming it is raining in OP's area, could be that

I had just cleaned it shortly before taking the photo and running the engine and giving it a good rev

Yes it was just starting to rain when I took the photo and it is definitely engine oil

I'll check the filler cap gasket

I had just cleaned it shortly before taking the photo and running the engine and giving it a good rev

Yes it was just starting to rain when I took the photo and it is definitely engine oil

I'll check the filler cap gasket
Try unbolting the cable carrier that is visible just above the heat shield and lift it out briefly - if the oil is coming from under the rocker cover edge and running under the heat shield it may help to see that that is the case - or exclude it as a source.

Back