A2 to VW UP Defection

ijedgar

A2OC Donor
After twelve years of ownership and three TDi`s it is time to move on and yes I know that I most certainly will miss the A2.
They have had the odd annoying little niggle like misty headlights and ineffective wipers but over all what a brilliant little car.
I am on the hunt for the replacement which will be a VW UP TSI 90 hopefully.
I drove a 75 and enjoyed the drive apart from the lack of power so maybe the 90 will be more to my liking.
I would like to say a massive thank you to all of the people on here that have enhanced owning an A2 by their generosity in sharing vast amounts of knowledge to assist in the day to day running and repairs,a very special resource and one to be cherished.
The owners manuals and wallet and the hard touch buttons pictured below I would like to donate.
I will cover the postage to anyone who wants them and is prepared to make a donation to the running of the club.
Farewell to all and I wish you all the best in keeping this marque running long into the future before the dreaded electricity gets us all.

IMG_1775.JPG

IMG_1774.JPG

Sorry to see you go, though you are more than welcome to stay around and contribute. You might even be an owner again one day. I was in this position and bought again.

We have had 3 up!s over the past few years. Currently Mrs C has a 90 TSI and I have the GTI. Good little cars for what they are and fairly rapid for 1 litre engines. The A2 build quality cannot be replicated mind. ?

Enjoy your new car.

Evening,

Sorry to see a long time owner leaving. Very interested in the hard touch buttons.

PM about to be sent.

Kind regards,

Tom

@ijedgar we have the Seat Mii 1.0 2012 plate 60PS, 3 dr, SE spec

It is a great “city car”, and compliments my A2 TDI 90.

Better than that though: we rented it to our then 23 year old son in early 2018 when he started a sales role. He drove over 30,000 miles in 12 months. Apart from more frequent oil services, and greater tyre wear, the car has coped splendidly. Prior to that, the average had been 4,000 miles a year: now it has 68,000 on the clock.

Ours has been serviced annually, with oil changes every 10,000 when it was being used by my son. In seven years, it has had all four tyres changed; has had new front discs and pads; and the cam belt changed. That’s about it.

Thankfully his new job comes with a company A3, so the Mii has gone back to averaging 4,000 per annum.

There have been no unscheduled days off the road. There is some confusion about when the cam belt should be changed: I was quoted at 60,000 miles or 5 years. Many used cars won’t have had it done.

The only design issue, which may have been addressed in later models, is air conditioning. It seems to collect and retain moisture, so on a cold, damp morning, it can take an age for the screen to clear. Towards the end of a day’s driving, I tend to turn up the heat, turn off the air con, and open the windows slightly to try to drive out any moisture which may be retained ¿somewhere? In the system.

The earlier cars go through DRL bulbs: you often see them running a single bulb. A change to LED is effective.

Hope you find the Up! you want and are pleased with it.

Andrew

PS I think Dave @Special edition has, or had, an Up!

Last edited:
The only design issue, which may have been addressed in later models, is air conditioning. It seems to collect and retain moisture, so on a cold, damp morning, it can take an age for the screen to clear. Towards the end of a day’s driving, I tend to turn up the heat, turn off the air con, and open the windows slightly to try to drive out any moisture which may be retained ¿somewhere? In the system.
Might be an idea to check that the evaporator drain is not blocked. That would certainly produce such an effect.

RAB

Might be an idea to check that the evaporator drain is not blocked. That would certainly produce such an effect.

RAB
Thank you: I will ask the next time it goes into the garage (I wouldn’t know what the evaporator drain looks like.
It appears common across the model; there an active Facebook group (or two)

Andrew

Thanks for that and good to know that they are sturdy.
Just bought a 2017 High Up 90 TSI and looking forward to its arrival.
The UP Tsi prices are very close to the Gti prices but the Tsi lends itself to a comfier ride with a similar feel on performace. There are around 2,500 Up Gti,s registered now in the UK and production has stopped so they may become a rare wee beastie in future. Here is my daily runaround and i love it. I am lucky enough to have my A2 wrapped up behind it for winter.

Attachments

• 15733834337761137750651.jpg
    15733834337761137750651.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 342
That looks a little cracker.
The GTi`s were a couple of grand more than my TSi and strictly speaking I should not have spent what I did.

VW make very little money on small cars, especially RHD. That's why they list only four Up! variants now (no E-Up, GTi or TSi). The current Ups are probably the last small petrol cars that VW will make.

RAB

Thank you: I will ask the next time it goes into the garage (I wouldn’t know what the evaporator drain looks like.
It appears common across the model; there an active Facebook group (or two)
I believe that it is to the left (from the front) of the heater pipes from the engine compartment on the bulkhead/firewall and slightly above. It is also behind a heat shield. You wont find it underneath!

RAB

Last edited by a moderator:
VW make very little money on small cars, especially RHD. That's why they list only four Up! variants now (no E-Up, GTi or TSi). The current Ups are probably the last small petrol cars that VW will make.

RAB
The last time I looked the 60bhp base model Up was the only one you could order new now RAB.

The TSi is still shown on the volkswagen.fr website:

Maybe VW think that we won't be able to afford such exotica after B*****!

RAB

Back