Aftermarket Radio with Diversity.

PlasticMac

United-Kingdom
I'm pondering replacing the Concert II with a Blaupunkt Madrid. I've been trying to fix an FM reception problem for a while, and it's looking like it's the actual head unit. The Blaupunkt Madrid looks quite "period" no red display option though.

The car has the Diversity antenna controller, which relies on a feedback link from the Concert to work as intended.
I'd like to know how/if the Diversity functions when an aftermarket radio is fitted, which doesn't have the feedback link to it.
Is FM reception OK, or should I seek out a replacement Concert?

Screenshot 2023-09-19 09.31.14.png
Mac.

@PlasticMac How did you get on with this? what HU did you end up with any pictures installed?
I didn't fit it in the A2 in the end. My problem was poor FM reception, which turned out, after a very long search, to be caused by interference from a 12V to 5V USB converter, in the interior light recess, which runs the dash cam. Replaced the converter, and all's well, so original Concert is back.
I did fit the Blaupunkt Madrid in the TT though, and it does look "period correct" and is a good piece of kit, so far. I believe @Cenick had a problem with his ...
I think that if the Diversity loses the feedback link from the Concert, it defaults to the single AM/FM antenna and amp, (similar to the non Diversity setup with the Chorus. Power for the antenna amp comes from the Diversity, but I'm pretty sure the Diversity unit needs 12 volts via the coax, to bring it out of standby.
So, if you go aftermarket, you must include the gizmo that "injects" 12 volts into the coax.
Hope this helps.
Mac.

I didn't fit it in the A2 in the end. My problem was poor FM reception, which turned out, after a very long search, to be caused by interference from a 12V to 5V USB converter, in the interior light recess, which runs the dash cam. Replaced the converter, and all's well, so original Concert is back.
I did fit the Blaupunkt Madrid in the TT though, and it does look "period correct" and is a good piece of kit, so far. I believe @Cenick had a problem with his ...
I think that if the Diversity loses the feedback link from the Concert, it defaults to the single AM/FM antenna and amp, (similar to the non Diversity setup with the Chorus. Power for the antenna amp comes from the Diversity, but I'm pretty sure the Diversity unit needs 12 volts via the coax, to bring it out of standby.
So, if you go aftermarket, you must include the gizmo that "injects" 12 volts into the coax.
Hope this helps.
Mac.
Has this something to do with the Can bus system? Am I right in saying earlier models are non can bus?

Has this something to do with the Can bus system? Am I right in saying earlier models are non can bus?
You're right about early radio not being canbus, but I don't think the Diversity is related, as there is no canbus connection to the Diversity unit.
Mac.

You're right about early radio not being canbus, but I don't think the Diversity is related, as there is no canbus connection to the Diversity unit.
Mac.
Ah right no wonder I haven’t seen much on anyone changing their radio to aftermarket. Mine is a chorus cassette radio and has the classic black buttons rubbing off so I thought I’d kill two birds with one stone.

:) 👍

:) 👍
NICE guide that! had a quick read looks like i would need a donor unit for cheap. also was looking at a Audi CD unit I believe they don't play MP3's

Ah right no wonder I haven’t seen much on anyone changing their radio to aftermarket. Mine is a chorus cassette radio and has the classic black buttons rubbing off so I thought I’d kill two birds with one stone.
That's an easy'ish swap, as there's no Diversity to worry about, but you'll need the 12 volts to the coax gizmo, as there an antenna amp at the point where the coax meets the antenna element in the rear screen, which needs 12 volts to work.
Mac

That's an easy'ish swap, as there's no Diversity to worry about, but you'll need the 12 volts to the coax gizmo, as there an antenna amp at the point where the coax meets the antenna element in the rear screen, which needs 12 volts to work.
Mac
Cheers not a major issue right now as its not my main car ill have to look into what this gizmo is called at some point

NICE guide that! had a quick read looks like i would need a donor unit for cheap. also was looking at a Audi CD unit I believe they don't play MP3's
You can get transfers for the buttons, and if you follow the instructions carefully, (cleaning with acetone, curing with hair dryer etc), the results are really good.
Mac.

Cheers not a major issue right now as its not my main car ill have to look into what this gizmo is called at some point
Mac.

Back