Air intake stuck to throttle body

BearMcPear

Hello everyone. The car idles a bit low, and from looking around this commonly seems to be caused by a dirty throttle body.
Following this playlist
I got to the point where the air intake's spring clamp (left side when looking at engine) and torx screw (in front of air intake) were removed and the hose clamp on the right loosened, however there was still no movement in the air intake where it connects to the throttle body.
Am I missing something?
I hope this explanation of the problem is clear, thank you for your time.

Hi, if I recall correctly there's another clamp needs undoing on the bottom as well, also much easier if you remove the air duct, held by 3 screws, but to be sure check out this link with very detailed info on how-to, number 24.
My A2 idles at 650, cleaned/changed everything's could, yet no change. It's been stable for years and causes no issues, so I just left as it is. Not sure what's your idle speed, might not be anything wrong with it, but TB clean usually a good idea either way, especially if hasn't been done a long time, but make sure to have new seals/gaskets, as refitting the old ones can cause vacuum leak, happened to me before. Also try working when doesn't rain or under a roof, you don't want water in the air intake system.
You'll need those 3 items circled, the bottom rubber ring on TB might be reuseable, but probably better to have a spare one in case it's damaged. I think Autodoc got them in stock.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-09-15-11-52-11.png
    Screenshot_2021-09-15-11-52-11.png
    274.9 KB · Views: 82
  • Screenshot_2021-09-15-11-51-39.png
    Screenshot_2021-09-15-11-51-39.png
    273.6 KB · Views: 94
Thank you very much for the links. That truly is a treasure trove.
Do you mean on the bottom at the back of the air box as seen from the front of the car?
My idle speed is a bit higher than yours, 700 or so. Surprised to see that yours idles so low without any other issues, but that is good to hear.
Mine had a 'dirty EGR' code per the garage, which I also thought was indication of the throttle body being dirty. The CEL hasn't returned though.

Tried it again today. As it turns out, the air intake is stuck to two little rubber connectors at the back. I've looked at a lot of videos, manuals etc. but they do not cover these. Does anyone know how to disconnect them? Can't push down on them, neither do they have an indent for an allen key or some such.
Also broke the tab off the throttle body's connector, so a little bummed out. It doesn't connect so solidly anymore. :(

That doesn't sound good, are you sure all the nuts been removed? If I recall there's 2 on the back as well. Can you take a few pics to show what's the issues? Some of the parts on the A2 are obviously rather old, TB on my A2 was the original one, so was like 20 years old, hence you gotta be careful when moving things around.
You probably need another TB so broken clip might not be issue, but take few pics and highlight those bits. For the time being, try to use tape or ziptie to make sure the TB connector stays in place, if that disconnects during driving, it will throw EML.

I don't remember undoing that part either, if all the screws/nuts been removed, it should come out, but the rubber bits might've stuck togetherl over time, so lubricating should separate them.

Have tried some more wrestling and jostling, but there is no movement to them. Strangely the hole in the centre goes all the way through.
Any new ideas on how to solve this mystery?

Managed to get them loose! The solution was to liberally apply silicon spray, and slowly but quite forcefully pull them upwards.
If anyone else gets stuck with them, hope this helps.

Managed to get them loose! The solution was to liberally apply silicon spray, and slowly but quite forcefully pull them upwards.
If anyone else gets stuck with them, hope this helps.
That's good mate, sometimes it's gets stuck together, hence we've recommended lubricating the parts. Now you can check the TB and the other bits.

Back