An answer to chilli morns for UK A2 users

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecoangel

All the chat about Webasto heaters from our European friends got me to dig out info for UK A2 users - especially TDI ones as diesel engines are so damn thermodynamically efficient (up to 30 percent better than petrol)they leave owners cold in winter.

visit www.vehvac.com or read Jan 2003 issue of Diesel Car page 72.

else call0845 345 8005

The Webasto comfort heater can be activated by mobile phone or remote (700m reange) and heats the water in the engine coolant system - circulates it and pumps hot air thro' the air vents -so nice and toasty - if it ever gets to -20 deg C outside then interior warmed to + 14 deg C in 24 mins. Uses about 1 ltr diesel from your fuel tank per hour.

Another plus is that it reduces engine wear on start up and a warm engine will use less fuel than from cold start....

:)

Lukas

First A2 1.2 TDI in UK
Style pack + Chorus + Advance pack + winter wheels + iRiver MP3CD

Do you have the fuel powered additional heater in your car?

I've assumed that my 1.2 TDI only has the electrical one, but I've neved checked it out.

Martin

Lukas,

Yes, you're right, however this is a very expensive option since the heater needs a phone to receive your call and an GSM antennae for the signal.

The heater itself is installed in the 1.4 Tdi's and can be extended with a timer and optionally a remote or phone.

Mine has the timer and the remote and this works quite nice. The remote has a range of 600 meters. Normally I use the timer for the morning and the transmitter for the afternoons.

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

Dennis,
Who supplied the 'extension'. i.e. the timer etc. I would dearly like to upgrade mine.
Is it a thermo top E in the 1.4?
Is it Webasto?
Thanks. Please give all info if possible.

icon_smile_cool.gif

Timer available from vehvac -see above. Also they do repair work on all air con systems at a much lower rate than Audi UK

Lukas

First A2 1.2 TDI in UK
Style pack + Chorus + Advance pack + winter wheels + iRiver MP3CD

quote:Originally posted by maersk

Dennis,
Who supplied the 'extension'. i.e. the timer etc. I would dearly like to upgrade mine.
Is it a thermo top E in the 1.4?
Is it Webasto?
Thanks. Please give all info if possible.

The standard heater is from Webasto and I think it's a thermotop Z.
The extra stuff can be fitted by any webasto dealer but since the A2 is 'a complicated little car' as they told me :) they need a manual from Audi. The heater is operated by the cc computer and in turn the additional timers needs to switch on the cc to get the air flowing.
Connecting the timer involves adding a water and a fuel pump (the engine's pumps aren't working) and some electrics (heater needs it own power from the battery).
To connect al this they have to remove the cc panel (and the radio) and attach a cable to the battery, which is in the back.
My dealer was quite experienced since they only install heating and cooling equipment in cars. And it took them nearly three days to do the job.

The good part is that they don't know that yet since they've never worked on an A2 before. And the expensive heater itself is already in the car, nicely builtin and all.
Maybe you can locate a webasto dealer through webasto UK and get a price quote.

The heater switches on automatically below 5 degrees celsius and you can hear it starting up, it sounds like a big electrical fan blowing under the hood. After parking the car and stopping the eninge, the heater (which is TUV certified) starts it's cleaning cycle, you can hear this as a high pitched noise under the hood somewhere around the right front wheel (european car). The exhaust is located in the front bumper around the right head light and when the heater is on you can feel it blowing hot air. Sometimes it produces some white smoke.
When the cc is on econ mode the heater doesn't start.

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back