An Auto- Biography

YorkshireHill

A2OC Donor

A big landmark for me in July 2020 as I waved goodbye to my cherished A2.
And so now I'll reflect on my Seventeen year association with these wonderful cars and an amazing Owners Club.

Owned my silver FSI Sport from new in July 2003. Moved from London to Yorkshire. Actually it was many years later that I discovered A2OC whilst researching the reason for the engine management light. Sadly, the car had a traumatic end when the handbrake failed causing it to go on an unpiloted 200 metre drive where it crashed into a telegraph pole. Thankfully, nobody was injured or even involved.

We decided to buy the car back from the insurance company and it was broken for spares. Ever grateful to Conrad (chb) who worked on the car every Sunday morning for months. Parts were sent all over the country as well as to owners in Norway and Finland. Great to know that this car has provided donor parts to save and improve more than sixty A2s. Eventually the rolling chassis was purchased which I believe went on to be rebuilt.

My next A2 was Grey2. In quite a state at the beginning. Took it for an inaugural service and the mechanic pulled two dead rats from under the bonnet. I’m not proud of the fact I didn’t find out anything about the car when buying. In fact, I think I was swayed only by the colour! Anyway, the next weekend, timmus arrived offering to swap all the soft-touch buttons from the FSI into Grey2 as well as the cruise control, DIS, steering wheel… the list was endless.

When I finally sold Grey2, it was in great condition with a new turbo and heated leather seats.

But selling Grey2 to buy the next A2 has an almost unbelievable story…

Merlin was an immaculate Cherry red 1.4 TDI 90. Owned by Dave (Special edition) who had devoted time and effort in bringing it into a beautiful condition. Once I had mentioned to Dave that if he ever sold Merlin, then I would be certainly keen to buy. He decided to sell and I reacted quickly. Merlin was mine. Then…three weeks later he called me to say his plans had changed and ‘would I feel it in my heart to sell Merlin back?’ I sold him back. Then I can’t remember the exact sequence of events but we transferred that car between owners another time. Or was it twice?

Two years on, I’ve now made the decision to part with this lovely car. The reason is simply that I hardly drive him. I work from home and Ian works in Switzerland during the week. I’ve loved owning Merlin but eventually the time seemed right to make that difficult decision.

Life with A2s has not been the only big life change for me this year. After thirty years as a neuro-physio, I’ve embarked on my new dream job as a Biography writer. Appropriate then, that I’ll continue with this A2 ‘Auto’ – Biography!

The Silver FSI crash was undeniably a low point however the event did enable me to meet many Club members. I learnt plenty about the A2 from very interesting people, all so dedicated in passing on their knowledge. A2OC has been a great deal of fun and we’ve made some wonderful friends.

After getting to know many Yorkshire members, a few of us decided to organise an A2 social in the North.

In 2016 ‘Aye2 Up’ was planned in Saltaire. A great turnout with A2s arriving from all parts of the country.

The next year we organised the A2 Northern meet at Temple Newsam in Leeds and then ‘Aye2 Up Again’ in 2018 at the York Air Museum.

Somewhere between these events was ‘Bonnet across Britain’. Who remembers that?

A2Steve came up with the idea after finding out about something that had taken place with the German A2 Owners Club. The idea seemed fun and querky and initially there was plenty of interest.

An A2 Bonnet was supplied and began its tour of the country. The idea was to sign the Bonnet, make a charity donation and pass the Bonnet on to another member somewhere in the country.

I took on the co-ordination task and most of my posts for the next year or so relate to reporting on the Bonnet’s travels and persuading members to drive it on to another location. We thought it would be more interesting and fun if the Bonnet criss-crossed the country instead of a more planned itinerary. Well…it almost worked.

Some members were left with the Bonnet for many weeks (Teresa will vouch for it taking up space in her dining room for months) before it moved on.

Ian & I constructed some packaging for it so that it would have some chance of surviving. The A2 Bonnet in its ‘Bonvelope’ only just fitted into the back of an A2 with the seats down!

When the Bonnet arrived in Yorkshire, we decided to organise a local event. Eight members arrived on our street for ‘Bonnets, Bacon & Banter’.

After fifteen months the Bonnet had travelled 6481 miles. The photos were great with the Bonnet on the different A2s in so many places and I’m grateful to everyone for getting involved. As well as the fun of it, the Club raised funds for the chosen charity of the Air Ambulance Association.

Well that’s just about most of the stories I can think of for now. It has truly been a great experience being part of this friendly Club.

Best wishes to everyone

Hilary

Attachments

• Two A2s near.jpg
    Two A2s near.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 288
Hilary there are clearly many, many happy memories behind your words. How interesting that you came on here originally to find an answer to an issue you we’re having, only to end up being such an integral part of the club and making solid friends for life!

Merlin will miss you, I will print the above to put in his history file just in case, heaven forbid, something happens to this forum.

Interestingly, Grey2 has also ended up in the south-west, so perhaps there will one day be a reunion of your two A2s!

Finally, best of luck with the new chapter of your life and change of direction - I’m a firm believer in change being almost always for the better in the long-term.

“Goodbye A2” (name of this area of the forum) maybe, but please stick around / check in on us occasionally - Merlin’s blog will be updated as much as I can!

Last edited:
Thankyou for this write up Hilary....ive greatly appreciated your friendship and help over the years which has been part and parcel of my love for the club and A2,s in general . I wish you all the very best with your writing endeavours and hope you will stay with us with an occasional post.

Stay safe and don,t be a stranger

Dave ?

Back