Another New Member

DaveT

Hi there .....hope you don't mind me dropping in, just purchased my first A2 (54 plate 1.4 Tdi Sport 90) I'd been looking/lusting (!) for about two years, but hadn't had the financial opportunity to purchase anything up until now. The Mrs was quite adamant that it had to be black & diesel & with reasonable low mileage.......so that limited the search somewhat, as I'm sure you regular advert spotters will know !!
Found our example at an independent dealers in Leeds. It appears to have been well looked after & regularly serviced (plenty of FSH & book stamps) 17" wheels (v.clean) always had Pirelli's fitted, 64,000 on the clock, HPi cleared etc etc.....£6200. Ok, compare it with other '05 54 plate (hey, Mrs.T come away from that 1 Series BMW on the car lot.....yes I know it's cheaper, but you WANTED an A2 !!) cars & it's pricey BUT that's not the point with an A2 is it ?? You're buying an unusual/"rare" vehicle & therefore swallow the premium accordingly. I'm sure some of my Norman Normal workmates with their interesting silver 3 Series' won't get it, but hey, they don't get the fact that as a family we've got three classic cars & a Royal Enfield too !!
The A2 is a main car/semi-daily but will be cared for in the manner a future design classic deserves. I do like to do a lot of my own maint/servicing but I'm suprised at the lack of workshop manuals for the A2......there's a couple of independent VW/Audi dealers heren Lincoln, so if I get stuck on anything, at least I've got assistance near by.
I've not collected the car yet, but during the test drive there was an obvious light knock at the front end, spoke garage today & the knock diagnosis was anti-roll bar, which they've replaced. On collection the car has a standard 3 month warranty.......which I'm going to utilise, so any pointers I need to spot in this first three months so I can use the warranty facilities, would be gratefully appreciated !!
That's me then boys & girls......sorry for waffling on !! Cheers Dave (Lincoln)

All car traders/dealers have to offer a 3 month warranty, that's the buyer's statutory right.

The ARB link is a common problem with all A2's.

Particular to the 90TDI is the dual-mas flywheel, when this starts to fail you get a slight vibration at idle in neutral which subsides when you depress the clutch. It's a pricey job and you really ought to replace the clutch at the same time since it's all apart anyway. It's circa £1000 all-in.

Also relevant to the 90TDI is the turbo, if it starts to sound like a police siren at high volume then it'll be on it's way out - I don't know how pricey this is to repair though.

Either way, find a local friendly forum member with VCDS (diagnostic software) and they'll scan the car to check for any anomalies resident in the various ECU's.

Hope it all goes well Dave.

Welcome to the A2oc and soon to be A2 owner. It sounds like you have found yourself a lovely example:) you don't see many black 90s so well done there. I don't think what you payed is unreasonable. You have a rare model so I would have been happy to pay what you did for the condition milage ect. It sounds like it's a keeper anyway so a long term investment. But the end of the day the only important opinion is yours. If you are happy then it dose not matter what others think.

The arb is a common problem, mine is being fixed Monday so at least the garage seem happy to put things right.

As to make best use of your warranty first on the list is get a scan done and that should bring up any problems.
People have had trouble with the turbo's on 90s so I would check that out as it's a costly repair.

But just have a good look around the site there is a wealth of info on here.

Cheers

David

So...follow up report....collected the A2 from Leeds on Saturday & had a 80 mile drive back to Lincs in horrendous weather.
To sum it up quickly.....We absolutely love it, very impressed with the whole A2 experience.....I can see why you all get so passionate about this product. What were Audi thinking when they stopped production ?? I appreciate they were reputably losing money on every car, but it's quite obvious that the design & whole logistical process behind the car was way ahead of it's time.
Still would like to find a workshop manual for the car in any format (ideally printed) obviously willing to pay for it.
Also an owners manual would be useful as this is the only piece of paperwork missing from the literature package that came with the car.......here's hoping someone can help......Cheers Dave

I think you'll find Elsawin is your best source for a workshop manual. Unfortunately this is not printed, but it covers the full range of VAG cars in great detail. You can find 'copies' of Elsawin for a good price on eBay.

Cheers Rob.

Back