Any FSIs in Ireland? What are you filling up with?

jetboy

A2OC Donor
On holiday in Eire with the FSI and didn't predict the lack of higher octane fuel. The options have been E10 95 Ron (obviously not) or E5 95 Ron (not what I'd choose at home, but usable) at Apple and Circle K stations. Is this the same across Ireland, or haven't I looked hard enough?

Just had a quick look a what Google had to say. Seems a bit of a 99 desert the result of government 'insistence' on 95 driven by green policy.

The way round it apparently is to use an octane booster additive from a good forecourt shop.

Enjoy your holiday.

Andy

Or I would try THIS - I use the diesel equivalent religiously whenever I fill up at supermarkets to bring up the cetane and level of additives to decent branded super fuel (which at 10p/litre cheaper - even considering the cost of the additive - makes it a real winner by my reckoning).

EDIT: in the light of @PlasticMac ‘s post below, I should have stated that I meant use this to up the octane and additive levels of E5 95 RON petrol, don’t use E10.

Last edited:
Just had a quick look a what Google had to say. Seems a bit of a 99 desert the result of government 'insistence' on 95 driven by green policy.

The way round it apparently is to use an octane booster additive from a good forecourt shop.

Enjoy your holiday.

Andy
I can't see how an additive can neutralise the ethanol. It's the ethanol that does the damage, not the low octane. I'd go with 95 E5.
Mac.

Back