Anyone want an easy way to lose weight without pills exercise or strange foods?

Birchall

Dick Chown Award 2016
Before anyone asks what this has to do with A2s (or any car) I have posted this in the "Relaxation room" section !!!!

What I have done is as follows

I LOVE my food (almost as much as I love A2s !!!) and that lead to me to tip the scales at 16.5 stone (that is 105 KILOS!) so I decided to lose some weight.

Firstly I had tried exercise but became bored of it very quickly and gave up, so I wanted to lose weight without exercising. Exercise is VITAL for health but not a great way to lose weight, especially if you get bored of it easily.
Secondly I LOVE my food, it is one of life's pleasures and I was not going to eat "cabbage soup" etc. (what happens when you have lost your weight, what do you eat then to keep it off!!!

So it dawned on me that, as a computer software consultant I have to analyse problems every day and so I analysed the reasons for gaining weight.

I tried it and lost over 3 stone (around 20 kilos !!) in three months, with NO PILLS, no fierce exercise regime but being active, no weird foods, no calorie counting etc.

The calorie counting is absolutely a waste of time, do you know how they calculate calories in foods etc?

THEY BURN IT !!! So for a can of coke (for example) they freeze dry it, put the solids into a glass container, set fore to it and measure the heat given off !!

Your body doesn't do that, and it will not always convert calories etc.

Using the calculation for calories, do you know what contains the most calories !!!!!

Petrol, Dynamite etc. !!!

Drink petrol and you won't put weight on !!!!

This is an example of how I applied simple common sense to view weight loss and gain in a different light.

But the MOST important thing I analysed was the sensation you feel when you feel hungry.

Basically we all see this as a sign that we need to eat something!! But no, think about it like this.

If you over eat the body stores the extra as fat (agreed?) and when you don't have any food left in your stomach, your body converts this fat to energy by "burning it off" instead of via the stomach. Also pretty much widely accepted?

So if your body is consuming itself (converting the fat) I am pretty sure that this would feel uncomfortable?

This was a turning point. Now I can use the hunger sensation as an indicator that my body is consuming my fat. Which is EXACTLY what I want it to do, if I want to lose weight.

Most diets would say, if you are feeling hungry drink some water or have a diet yoghurt etc. Does that stop the hunger sensation? Absolutely yes, so therefore it is stopping your body from doing just what you want it to.

I then went on to analyse why sugar makes you put weight on, when there is no fat in it and it is a plant extract!!!
The answer is simple, sugar is high in energy (don't use the calorie word!) so if you have sugar AND a meal, the body can store the meal and use the energy from the sugar (which it can't store anyway because it does not convert to fat) This also helps explain why kids go hyper when they have had a lot of sugar, the body can't store it so it makes then use up the energy by being hyper active!!!

I also analysed why beer / wine makes you fat (it is not the reasons that you think.
I figured out why in the last 50 years we are at a period in time where we really DON'T need meals any more.
I also figured out how you can eat whatever you want and lose weight (more to the point why you SHOULD eat what you want !!!0

and lots of other things.

I tried it out on a very pretty but overweight girl in our office who had trued to diet and failed MANY times. She lost 55lbs (over 20 kilos) and turned into a STUNNING young leady that turned heads!!!

So I wrote a book about it (I am not trying to advertise it on here, I am just finding a distraction for my current situation and I LOVE talking about my diet.

If I haven't bored everyone silly and you want me to go on I can post the odd portion of it on here, so you don't have to buy the book and so I don't get accused of trying to profit from the forum.

Steve b

One of my hobbies is gym and healthy eating courtesy of the lovely wife who is dieting.

The main things are eat healthy and exercise.

One hour of treadmill before breakfast doing HIT. A combination of running and walking repeated. The reason it is before breakfast, is to burn off body fat rather than your breakfast.

Eating healthy, veg, good fats, chicken, turkey, steak, greek yoghurt, nuts, protein powder and green tea, etc.

Give 100% dedication and it will work. :)

One of my hobbies is gym and healthy eating courtesy of the lovely wife who is dieting.

The main things are eat healthy and exercise.

One hour of treadmill before breakfast doing HIT. A combination of running and walking repeated. The reason it is before breakfast, is to burn off body fat rather than your breakfast.

Eating healthy, veg, good fats, chicken, turkey, steak, greek yoghurt, nuts, protein powder and green tea, etc.

Give 100% dedication and it will work. :)

Hi,

yes that is certainly one way, but not everyone can commit to a regime of exercise or have the time before breakfast (while cooking it and getting the kids off to school etc.) so there is a need for alternatives as well as the established diets. Everyone is different (thankfully) so it is good to have different diets.

Mine is merely based on common sense and focusses on an easy way to lose weight.
Keeping fit and eating healthily is vital of course.

My diet just helps people understand what makes them put weight on and some tips on how to lose it. That way they can manage their weight forever and not just diet then put it on again.

If there was only ONE way to lose weight then there wouldn't be millions of diets out there. If there was one that worked for everyone we would all be following it.

Steve B

Im keen to hear how i can loose weight in your way. So please endulge me and let me loose these 11kilos i got too much of.

Im keen to hear how i can loose weight in your way. So please endulge me and let me loose these 11kilos i got too much of.

Hi,

Try the following.

The next time you feel hungry don't try to mask the hunger with any diet foods etc. Instead, just allow yourself to feel hungry for a few minutes, DON'T starve yourself, that is not only bad for you but you will then tend to overeat to compensate. Just give yourself a few minutes before eating something.
Then when you do eat something, make sure that it is something that you REALLY feel like eating. Have you noticed that when you are hungry it is never just an unspecific hunger, it will be a hunger for something sweet, or something salty, or something dry, or something wet etc. This is your body indicating the type of food it needs. So if you eat something else (just because it is low calorie etc.) you are NOT giving it what it needs and it will therefore still keep you craving that food. But the secret is to just have a small portion of whatever it is you feel like.

An example of proof that the body knows what it needs is when women get pregnant they often crave weird foods, that is because their body is "building" a baby and so needs different foods and minerals than normal.

Another tip that is quite simple is don't eat if you are not hungry !!! Really basic, but it is surprising just how many people don't follow that basic rule at all.
We all have breakfast, lunch and dinner every day and more or less at the same time, but we do that whether we are hungry or not!!!! and if you eat when you are not hungry the body will store it for later. So you will be adding to your weight!

Why not wait until you are actually hungry (which means that you have used up the food that you ate earlier) and then (after only a few minutes) have something small but NICE and wholesome, but it must be something you feel like eating.

This next tip is one that others may disagree with, but weigh yourself every night and every morning. Lots of reasons for this.
Firstly it enables you to see which foods affect you and by how much. (I personally find that pasta disappears quickly and chicken and meat takes longer. You don't have to stop eating chicken or meat but it is important for you to be able understand how YOIUR body copes with different foods.
It also enables you to spot the pounds as they go on, rather than wait until you have a lot to lose.
Another benefit is as follows, lets say that you only weigh yourself once a week and Sunday to Wednesday you LOST 3lbs but by Saturday you have put on 3lbs. You would see no loss at all and you would have missed that what you had done in the early part of the week worked well.
As to why I say weigh yourself night AND morning, this is quite interesting!!. Weigh yourself before going to bed, then weigh yourself in the morning. you will have lost between ONE and TWO pounds !!! Just by sleeping. That is a great motivator, to see those scales go down!!!!
It is also a regular reminder that you are actually on a diet, it is easy to forget!!

But the key is to use the "hunger sensation" as a guide to when to eat, and because (as I said in the first post) the hunger sensation is an indication that your body is consuming your fat, you have an INSTANT indicator of exactly when you are losing weight. If you are feeling hungry YOU ARE LOSING WEIGHT (but as I say, whatever you do, don't allow yourself to be really hungry because that is dangerous and counter-productive.

If you are not sure that this is right consider this.
It MIGHT help explain why people who are seriously overweight are constantly hungry (because their body is constantly trying to consume all of the fat that has built up and this sensation is seen as hunger!)
It also could help to explain why some very skinny people find it difficult to put weight ON!!! (because they have no fat to "burn" and so they rarely feel the "hunger sensation" - there is just nothing for the body to consume)

There are plenty more "common sense" tips, but this is a start!!!

Steve B

Last edited:
Hi,

Try the following.

The next time you feel hungry don't try to mask the hunger with any diet foods etc. Instead, just allow yourself to feel hungry for a few minutes, DON'T starve yourself, that is not only bad for you but you will then tend to overeat to compensate. Just give yourself a few minutes before eating something.
Then when you do eat something, make sure that it is something that you REALLY feel like eating. Have you noticed that when you are hungry it is never just an unspecific hunger, it will be a hunger for something sweet, or something salty, or something dry, or something wet etc. This is your body indicating the food it needs. So if you eat something else (just because it is low calorie etc. you are NOT giving it what it needs and it will therefore still keep you craving that food. But the secret is to just have a small portion of whatever it is you feel like.

An example of proof that the body knows what it needs is when women get pregnant the crave weird foods, that is because their body is "building" a baby and so needs different foods and minerals than normal.

Another tip that is quite simple is Don't eat of you are not hungry !!! Really basic but it is surprising how many people don't follow that basic rule at all.
We all have breakfast, lunch and dinner every day and more or less at the same time, but we do that whether we are hungry or not!!!!

Why not wait until you are actually hungry (which means that you have used up the food you ate earlier) and then (after a few minutes) have something small but NICE and wholesome.

This next tip is one that others may disagree with, but weigh yourself every night and every morning. Lots of reasons for this.
Firstly it enables you to see which foods affect you and by how much. (I personally find that pasta disappears quickly and chicken and meat takes longer. You don't have to stop eating chicken or meat but it is important for you to be able understand how YOIUR body copes with different foods.
It also enables you to spot the pounds as they go on, rather than wait until you have a lot to lose.
Another benefit is as follows, lets say that you only weigh yourself once a week and Sunday to Wednesday you LOST 3lbs but by Saturday you have put on 3lbs. You would see no loss at all and you would have missed that what you had done in the early part of the week worked well.
As to why I say weigh yourself night AND morning, this is quite interesting!!. Weigh yourself before going to bed, then weigh yourself in the morning. you will have lost between ONE and TWO pounds !!! Just by sleeping. That is a great motivator, to see those scales go down!!!!

But the key is to use the "hunger sensation" as a guide to when to eat, and because (as I said in the first post) the hunger sensation is an indication that your body is consuming your fat, you have an INSTANT indicator of exactly when you are losing weight. If you are feeling hungry YOU ARE LOSING WEIGHT (but as I say, whatever you do, don't allow yourself to be really hungry because that is dangerous and counter-productive.

If you are not sure that this is right consider this.
It MIGHT help explain why people who are seriously overweight are constantly hungry (because the body is constantly trying to consume the fat that has built up)
It also could help to explain why some very skinny people find it difficult to put weight ON!!! (because they have no fat to "burn" and so they rarely feel the "hunger sensation" - there is just nothing for the body to consume)

There are plenty more "common sense" tips, but this is a start!!!

Steve B

It all makes sense as I did this in my younger years before I got a wife and after that kids cause with this you tend to build up routines and u eat even if u arent hungry.

Thank for this "free" tip. Will start already with. Got a craving for something sweet, ice cream it is but a small dosage :)

Got a craving for something sweet, ice cream it is but a small dosage :)

That is exactly what you should do, have a small portion of ice cream if you really feel like that, your body will then stop craving that and want something more wholesome next time!
After all just look at how "special" your body is, how your eyes work, how your body heals itself when cut, how we can produce a baby !!! etc.

So "listen" to the signals it gives you and act on them.

Steve B

That is exactly what you should do, have a small portion of ice cream if you really feel like that, your body will then stop craving that and want something more wholesome next time!
After all just look at how "special" your body is, how your eyes work, how your body heals itself when cut, how we can produce a baby !!! etc.

So "listen" to the signals it gives you and act on them.

Steve B

Many thanks. Will give this a try and monitor my weight

Steve, you do make sense, I became diabetic at the beginning of last year. I used to have food coma in the afternoon, as soon as I ate lunch my mind would fall asleep. Being honest, I have 'never' been one for regular exercise, as I suffer from other medical conditions too. For the diabetes, I started exercise I joined a gym (first time in my life), and went 3 or 4 times a week for about 4 months regularly, until I got the bloody Sciatica which stayed with me for several months and I haven't been able to return to my exercise schedule yet. I was on 3 tablets daily for diabetes, but what I did to loose weight, was to set meal times and follow them religiously, and eat sensibly. I am adamant if you follow a simple routine, it will work for you too (no cheating :)).

I eat light breakfast at 8am, have lunch at 1pm and dinner at 6pm, these times have to be strictly adhered too, 'nothing' is eaten in between these times and after a couple of weeks your body begins to 'learn' to know when to expect food and adapts to the routine. My stomach starts to growl about an hour before food times, but I stuck with waiting for the set time.
I'm no medical personnel, but I'm very sure that this is good for the body having set times of food input, and not forcing the body to eat at random and at all times, this way it knows when to release insulin on time. Stopping eating randomly all day or in between meals does help a great deal. I was within my weight bracket but sticking to the eating times, I still lost 2 stones. You will also feel less bloated and much fitter in general. I believe eating randomly makes your body fight food all day long, which can't be good for it. It does take will power to adhere to the times.

Sometimes in daily life it will become hard to stick with the times, but it can be done, and will be of benefit for you. I wrote in my diary exactly what I ate every day for a year and it helped me to see how/what I was eating was affecting me in what/which kinds of different ways, including my blood sugar levels. I presented the diary to my Doctor and she was stunned I had been so strict and with such a accurate record, she kept the diary to show others an example. Due to this control my blood sugar dropped and I was down to 1 tablet for the diabetes at the end of last year! I was her only patient who managed this, ever, sadly she's left the practice and the other Doctors don't take interest in Diabetics as she did.

Moral, Set times, stick to times, eat sensibly, control food type eaten, cut out sugary foods, and exercise :)
One other thing, I found that food began to taste better than before once I was on my schedule, perhaps this was because my taste buds appreciated it more, but it definitely tasted so much better, strange man you Sarge I hear you say ...lol

I'm interested in getting a signed copy of your book Steve, before you become too famous for the A2 club that is ;)

Cheers
Sarge

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Sarge,

The most important advice of all is that if you have a medical condition, then you must listen to the doctor's advice about your eating habits,, of course ,and especially with diabetes.
So don't follow my tips unless that matches your strict and sensible diet!!!

I am glad that you have found a routine that works for you, that can be hard to do, so well done.

My brother had type 1 diabetes and completely ignored the medical advice about food, he died at the age of 38 due directly to him deliberately ignoring the doctor's advice.

So stick with it and stay healthy.

I will buy a copy of my own book, sign it and send it to you. It is the least I can do for all of the help you contribute to this great forum.

Steve B

Last edited:
Hey Steve, im glad to report back when being a example of your advice that one otherwise wouod need to pay for or buy a book. Ill try my best but im a person of poor discipline. Ur tips sound easy and something that even i could manage. Photodumped your tips and have it easy accessed so I dont mess up.

Hey Steve, im glad to report back when being a example of your advice that one otherwise wouod need to pay for or buy a book. Ill try my best but im a person of poor discipline. Ur tips sound easy and something that even i could manage. Photodumped your tips and have it easy accessed so I dont mess up.

Please don't feel that you have to give any feedback. I am glad that the tips make sense, that was the way I wanted this to work.

Other diets tell you to do things and eat things but not WHY! I like to know why I am doing something.

Steve B

Last edited:
Sure, its just that i tried a few stuff nad got bored of them after a few weeks not seeing any results. Yours on other hand made sense as that was how i was eating some ten years ago before I started eating irregulary and gained some proper weight.

Very interesting reading Steve! I've been overweight nearly my own life but have lost weight in the past-lost 6 stone couple of years ago on a Slimming world diet but put it back on due to a problem in my life tend to eat when I'm stressed! Last year I started to just cut down and eat healthier and do more exercise and have lost 5.5 stone and kept it off, and want to loose another 2 stone at least-yes I was a fat b'stard :D and like yourself love food!! Look forward to more tips, and what is the name of your book as would love to read it as you seemed to have stumbled on an amazing secret of successful weight loss! Only downfall I can see and have felt it as it has cost me over £500 + on new clothes and shoes! :cool:
cheers Paul

Hi
don't laugh, but I was worried that I might choose a name for the diet that had already been used.
So I called it "The Birchall Diet"

On reflection I should have called it something snappy like "The hunger sensation" or "the thinking person's diet"
But they sound really Naff!!!

Steve B

Last edited:
Just ordered it off Amazon, good feedback on it
cheers

Hi
Thank you for buying the book. I was trying to give enough info on here so that you wouldn't need to. But I guess that it is easier to read the book.

And an Audi A2 forum is perhaps not an ideal place for diet info !!!

By the way, the feedback on Amazon.co.uk is all genuine.

Cheers
Steve B

Hi , I am in pretty good shape right now ,one of those who not getting really big ( lucky me) , but my mrs is going up from time to time i guess thats typical housewife think , but will share that, for her really work that Green Coffe Extract tablets , U can buy them in H&B or Boots and take like it's writen in info , loosing like a stone in a month and 2 in two months , i guess it is worth a try .
Hi
No am not wanting to be negative about other diets. So if it is working for her then fine.

But I don't like tablets of any kind. Yes, if you have a medical complaint then you have to follow the doctor's orders.

But what happens when your wife had lost the weight. Her eating habits will not have changed and so she may find that her weight goes up again.

I prefer to try and find a natural way that allows the body to control itself.
That way nit only can someone lose weight by doing this, but the weight stays off.

I lost my weight 4 years ago and still eat the foods I like and I am still in full control of my weight.

But as I say. We are all different so there will be different diet solutions for different people.

I just hope that my suggestions may help people understand how their bodies work a little better

Best wishes
Steve B

Back