Audi A2 - day 24!

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kslevi

Well, I've had my A2 for 24 days now, and still like looking out the window to see it on the drive (and to check its still there!) and I really enjoy driving it.

I have been to the dealer once for them to fix the service module because it wasn't opening. When I got there I was told that they couldn't look at it because I was late, but they had the wrong time down, and so took the car round the back to check it. A few minutes later the lady came back and said there was nothing wrong with it, and that I have to pull it quite firmly! This started to wind me up a bit more and so I asked her to show me, and to make me look stupid the thing opened first time, and I had ago and it worked then too!

Then the lady proceeded to tell me that the boot was open when she got in the car (she said the door open warning light came on) so she shut it for me, but told me to look after my car!

Well, the boot was definately not open cos I had benn driving for 20 mins to get there with my mum in the car, showing her the display etc, anf the lights flashed when I locked the car!

I'm not sure if it is because I am young (21) that she felt that I wouldn't look after the car, and don't know how it works? but I was a bit anoyed.

So left the dealer (St. Albans) got home, and tried to open the service mod, and guess what? It didn't work!!!:(

What I then worked out was, to leave the car for 10 mins or so, come back to it and try again, and then it did open. So I tought it must be something to do with heat, and expansion? Give it time to cool down, and then it opens.

But yestaerday I tried (and its a lot colder now) and it wouldn't budge.

Also, having done around 800 miles, I think I can hear a few rattles squeaks?

There is something in boot/back area of car that bumps on bad roads, and a small noise somewhere on drivers door/window area. And something makes a noise when I bring clutch pedal back, either pedal itself of drivers seat.

The rear drivers side door squeks when you open it as well!

Apart from these things, I am very happy with the car. The fuel economy seems good already, I put £27 of premium last weekend, and zeroed the trip recorder (I havent got DIS) and i got about 280 miles before the beep and petrol sign! (I make this about 39mpg)

I really enjoy the driving position, being up high and it feels like a much bigger car but is still very easy to nip around in. The stereo is very good, and all the gadgets (Climate Control, remote key, cup holders, lights etc) are all very cool.

The black interior does seem to mark easily, but a damp cloth soon sorts that out! and the wiper blade doesn't seem very good at the moment (finally got to use it in the rain today) but tends to start off very blurry and then clears up.

I think I'm gonna phone my dealer and book the car in to check over the list above.

Just wanted to let you know how I was getting on, and also to see how others are finding their new cars.

2003 A2 1.4 SE in Cobalt blue, black interior, Climate Control, Winter Pack

kslevi
The bumping in the back could well be the false boot floor bumping on the side supports-try sticking something like felt along the plastic supports and this will dampen the bumping a bit.

Any squeeks from the rear seats and I would check the rear uprights where they lock into the two positions-I found this was chirping away the other day.

When the garage said your boot was open-did they mean open, or the display said it was open (and it really wasn't)-my boot sensor was playing up and had to be adjusted as the display was falsly saying the boot was open. Maybe worth a check.

Steve - 2003 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior

Noise from the back i my A2 (aprat from the kids) is the rear parcel shelf when it's not extended. i.e. it is rilled up - it knocks on a bumpy road. Extend it and the noise goes away.

MartinW - Dolphin Grey 1.4SE

My service module won't open either. The dealer said I should get someone to press against it while pulling the release handle. This didn't work. Just how hard do you have to pull/press to get the thing to operate? Should I give up and take it back to the dealer?

JR

A2 1.6 FSI, Cobalt blue, OpenSky, etc.

YES, and tell the dealer what he can do with his advice-a two person job?!?. Some dealers really do take the biscuit.

You should be able to open the service module easily. Maybe some oil will do the trick?

JR,

Perhaps you misunderstood your dealer. Maybe you have the “special model” which requires 3 people to push on the flap at the front, and 4 people to pull the lever internally.

Don’t forget to ask your dealer to contact Audi UK in order that they can revise the owners manual. Perhaps some Audi photographs of exactly where to push would be helpful.

Regards
John Disdale

John,

you're just being silly now... if what you say were true, Audi would obviously have made the A2 a 7 seater for just such situations.

JR

A2 1.6 FSI, Cobalt blue, OpenSky, etc.

We picked our car up in mid August, and three days later I couldn't open the 'service module' to check how the oil was doing, no matter how hard I pulled the handle (and I pulled it as hard as I possibly could) - we were in the middle of Yorkshire at the time and couldn't get to a dealer, so I phoned the Audi Dedicated Technician line.

They came out to the car straight away (within the hour or so), and he made a temporary repair and said it needed looking at properly. In the end the car went into the dealer and had to have a new release cable and mechanism. Both the dealer and the ADT said they hadn't seen the problem before, so I don't think it's common. The next time you can't open it, I'd phone the Audi customer service line, and say you need to check your oil, but can't open the module, and they'll send someone out to you - it they can't repair it on the spot, then the delear will have to take notice.

I also had a problem with the handbrake, when we got the car it was pretty much at the top of its travel, and over the first few weeks of use it slackened off. I phoned the dealership to have it altered, and they said 'we can't fit you in, phone the dedicated technician line', which I did and they came and fixed it on our drive within the hour.

Off all the things that has impressed ne the most, the ADT service is pretty much at the top of the list - a brilliant service.

Neil - Aug 02 1.4SE Petrol. Brilliant Blue. Yellow/Black Interior, Symphony, Open Sky, Climate, DIS, Multi-function wheel

I too had the problem with the service console. The dealer couldn't open it during the handover - and got one of the mechanics to do it. Obviously got home and couldn't open it again. Went back to the dealer who said it needed a strong yank (so I got myself an bonehead wrestler from Texas - who will probably shortly become the next president).

Anyway, the third time I went to the dealer (in 3 weeks since taking delivery, one of the senior salesmen decided that he had seen me there too often and asked one of the mechanics what was going on. They decided that my car needed a new cable mechanism - it took them about 20-25 minutes to fit - which they did immediately. No problems since - do not take any rubbish from your dealer saying that it needs a firm pull. The new mechanism releases using a slight pull from a single finger.

Now what's this ADT thing - I don't remember my dealer mentioning it - do I have to read my manual?

The ADT's are a team of mobile Audi engineers based all over the country (I think the last guy said there were 50 of them with plans for another 50 very shortly). The telephone number is in the business card pocket of our folder (the one the manual and other guides came in) - unfortunately my wife has the car today so I can't pass on the number (although from memory it's an 0800 number). All you have to do is give your car registration number, and they have all the details on file - I'm not sure if it's a new service they have on new cars, but I was told about it on handover.

Neil - Aug 02 1.4SE Petrol. Brilliant Blue. Yellow/Black Interior, Symphony, Open Sky, Climate, DIS, Multi-function wheel

I might try that then for my problems-saves the constant trips to the dealer for this and that. They might start to take notice of the por quality Audi are churning out these days.

I had a look for this card last night - I found my dealers business card, a card listing the numbers of emergency services across Europe and my RAC breakdown cover card. Should the number be on one of these? Or has my dealer not given me the appropriate card? I bought my var 3 months ago - I assume the service applied then as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back