Audi A2, Project ULEZ

LexFire

Hey one and all!!

I'm a relatively new member to the club, but have been as involved as I can since I've joined. So, to keep in the spirit of the forum(s) I have decided to list the areas that need attention on my beloved chariot and post before and after results (where possible), when I can.

History...

Reason to go back to the A2 world is as the title suggests, need a car that can take me to work which is inside the new proposed ULEZ zone (ready for August '23). I've always been happy to work on cars, mechanically, electrically. Generally carry out my own sevicing and maintenance, with a few medium jobs along the way, however im not a fan of bodywork repair (I'm rubbish)!

Names and responses added, are with thanks πŸ™πŸΌπŸ™ŒπŸΌ

The Beginning List:

Buy petrol A2 βœ…
(Decided to get 1.4 SE Petrol 89k miles)

Run a scan to see historic/current faults βœ…
(VCDS showed a few historic faults, has since been cleared and in the process of 'seeing' what pops up again).

Document things im not happy about and try to rectify βœ…
(See further on!).

Now, the car runs 'fine', but us A2 owners are never happy, so...

Exterior:

Passenger Front door, massive scratch touched up with wrong colour. To Replace. βœ… @Fallan & delivery by @V666col

Rear bumper, same as above. To Replace. βœ… @Fallan & delivery by @ @V666col

Front Bumper, looks worn under the O/S headlight. First will try and clean, buff and polish. Otherwise possible replacement.

Boot lid, another mark... Im starting to think I was blind when I bought this!

Boot lid, has evidence the glass has been caught on the roof and has rubbed paint off. Has glass been replaced previously? Will keep a watchful eye πŸ‘€
There are a few adjustment points on the tailgate, x2 on the hinge and x1 rubber grommet either side. worth trying to adjust @A2Steve

Wheels, will need a refurb at some point, and would like to source an extra 2 centre caps.

Petrol cap tether strap. To replace

Potential Votex upgrade? Im 50/50...

Winter wheels & tyres. To purchase.

Interior:

Headlight Switch, faded soft touch. βœ… @Ami

Petrol Flap Switch, No button bit! βœ… @Ami

Alarm Switch, Falling apart! βœ… @Weigh6

Electric window switches, wearing out. To replace

Electric window switch housing, tatty. To remove soft touch crap!

Rear manual window winders, wrong colour. To replace.

Glove box light mod, burnt out light. βœ… @depronman

Drivers side door seal, wear and tear. To replace.

Drivers side door stay, mash up! βœ… @depronman, @Proghound

Number plates could do with being replaced.

Electrics:

2nd key obtain and reprogram. @timmus

Identify why EPC and engine light comes on at ignition (disappears once started). It's supposed to! βœ… @A2Steve

Fit Cruise Control. βœ… @timmus

Fit USB cable for charging. βœ… @timmus

Fit Bluetooth for music streaming. βœ… @timmus

Change DIS from half screen to something better. To replace.

Day time running lights mod. βœ… @timmus

Komfortblinkers indicator mod. Wait for next year @timmus!

Engine:

Investigate the A2's thirst for oil. Quite common on the 1.4. Usually wear on the piston rings. If you are doing decent mileage every day try using a thicker oil. βœ… @A2Steve

Complete service.

Check main earthing cable, and retrofit a second for good luck.

Clean engine bay (get the toothbrush out!).

Have a look at the EGR valve, check its condition.

Suspension and brakes:

Check condition of all 4 corners. I reckon this job will expand...

Rear drum brakes, look for ways to look a bit less rusty!

Miscellaneous:

Replace car manual and leather wallet. βœ… @Ami

Missing boot tools. βœ… @Ami

Audi pen for glove box! βœ… fleabay

Heated wing mirrors... Not actually sure if I have or not!

Stainless steel exhaust system. Just sounds like such a cool upgrade!

So, not much 🀣

Looking forward to sharing what I can and spyhoning knowledge off the wonderful people from this club!!

Wish me luck 🀞🏽

Alex

Last edited:
Boot lid, has evidence the glass has been caught on the roof and has rubbed paint off. Has glass been replaced previously? Will keep a watchful eye πŸ‘€
- There are a few adjustment points on the tailgate, x2 on the hinge and x1 rubber grommet either side. worth trying to adjust

Identify why EPC and engine light comes on at ignition (disappears once started).
- It's supposed to

Investigate the A2's thirst for oil.
- quite common on the 1.4. Usually wear on the piston rings. If you are doing decent mileage every day try using a thicker oil.

- I have a nearly new one here on the shelf.

Hey one and all!!

I'm a relatively new member to the club, but have been as involved as I can since I've joined. So, to keep in the spirit of the forum(s) I have decided to list the areas that need attention on my beloved chariot and post before and after results (where possible), when I can.

History...

Reason to go back to the A2 world is as the title suggests, need a car that can take me to work which is inside the new proposed ULEZ zone (ready for August '23). I've always been happy to work on cars, mechanically, electrically. Generally carry out my own sevicing and maintenance, with a few medium jobs along the way, however im not a fan of bodywork repair (I'm rubbish)!

Names of those added, are with thanks πŸ™πŸΌπŸ™ŒπŸΌ

The Beginning List:

Buy petrol A2 βœ…
(Decided to get 1.4 SE Petrol 89k miles)

Run a scan to see historic/current faults βœ…
(VCDS showed a few historic faults, has since been cleared and in the process of 'seeing' what pops up again).

Document things im not happy about and try to rectify βœ…
(See further on!).

Now, the car runs 'fine', but us A2 owners are never happy, so...

Exterior:

Passenger Front door, masive scratch touched up with wrong colour. To Replace. @Fallan

Rear bumper, same as above. To Replace. @Fallan

Front Bumper, looks worn under the O/S headlight. First will try and clean, buff and polish. Otherwise possible replacement.

Boot lid, another mark... Im starting to think I was blind when I bought this!

Wheels, will need a refurb at some point, and would like to source an extra 2 centre caps.

Petrol cap tether strap. To replace

Potential Votex upgrade? Im 50/50...

Winter wheels & tyres. To purchase.

Interior:

Headlight Switch, faded soft touch. βœ… @Ami

Petrol Flap Switch, No button bit! βœ… @Ami

Alarm Switch, Falling apart! βœ… @Weigh6

Electric window switches, wearing out. To replace

Electric window switch housing, tatty. To remove soft touch crap!

Rear manual window winders, wrong colour. To replace.

Glove box light mod, burnt out light. βœ… @depronman

Drivers side door seal, wear and tear. To replace.

Drivers side door stay, mash up! βœ… @depronman, @Proghound

Number plates could do with being replaced.

Electrics:

2nd key obtain and reprogram. @timmus

Identify why EPC and engine light comes on at ignition (disappears once started).

Fit Cruise Control. βœ… @timmus

Fit USB cable for charging. βœ… @timmus

Fit Bluetooth for music streaming. βœ… @timmus

Change DIS from half screen to something better. To replace.

Day time running lights mod. βœ… @timmus

Komfortblinkers indicator mod. Wait for next year @timmus!

Engine:

Complete service.

Check main earthing cable, and retrofit a second for good luck.

Clean engine bay (get the toothbrush out!).

Suspension and brakes:

Check condition of all 4 corners. I reckon this job will expand...

Rear drum brakes, look for ways to look a bit less rusty!

Miscellaneous:

Replace car manual and leather wallet. βœ… @Ami

Missing boot tools. βœ… @Ami

Audi pen for glove box! βœ… fleabay

Heated wing mirrors... Not actually sure if I have or not!

So, not much 🀣

Looking forward to sharing what I can and spyhoning knowledge off the wonderful people from this club!!

Wish me luck 🀞🏽

Alex
You are always welcome Alex,

- There are a few adjustment points on the tailgate, x2 on the hinge and x1 rubber grommet either side. worth trying to adjust

- It's supposed to

- quite common on the 1.4. Usually wear on the piston rings. If you are doing decent mileage every day try using a thicker oil.

- I have a nearly new one here on the shelf.
Thanks so much for the info.

Ian @Proghound and I had a little brainstorm about the boot whilst I was in his company at Leighton Buzzard. Although it doesn't touch now (but my is it close!), It certainly looks like it had previously. There has definitely been an adjustment at some point, I'll look at the rubber grommet....

EPC and engine light, thought so, but I'm so happy you confirmed 😁

I've already done circa 1000 miles in it. I've topped up using Castrol Edge 5W 30 LL but in all honesty I think it needs a change before I start to worry about it's consumption.

EGR valve, I was told it's been recently replaced, but I would like to have a look and see the condition anyway! I'll get in contact if it needs replacing.

Thanks so much for the info.

Ian @Proghound and I had a little brainstorm about the boot whilst I was in his company at Leighton Buzzard. Although it doesn't touch now (but my is it close!), It certainly looks like it had previously. There has definitely been an adjustment at some point, I'll look at the rubber grommet....

EPC and engine light, thought so, but I'm so happy you confirmed 😁

I've already done circa 1000 miles in it. I've topped up using Castrol Edge 5W 30 LL but in all honesty I think it needs a change before I start to worry about it's consumption.

EGR valve, I was told it's been recently replaced, but I would like to have a look and see the condition anyway! I'll get in contact if it needs replacing.
If the oil has been in there a while, or was cheapo/poor quality, then that could be the cause of high consumption. So, yes, drain, replace oil filter, then fill with good quality oil. Using higher viscosity oils is not always a good idea, as thicker oil will circulate more slowly, and put strain on the oil pump. Try good stuff first.
Mac.

One thing I did forget to mention (no added to list) is my interest in a stainless steel exhaust system.
After reading the write up by @steve_c, I was smitten...
Maybe a call to infinity exhausts (if they are still about) may come at some point.

Last edited:
Depending on whether or not they've been done consider looking at replacement oil filler cap (on top of rocker cover), coolant expansion tank lid, and the fuel cap itself - all of them have rubber seals that need to be fully functional for the lid to do what it is supposed to do. On our AUA the original cap was surrounded by a fine misting of oil with grime trapped in it - a telltale that it may not be fully sealed. This can contribute to periodic error codes regarding air leaks / manifold air pressure issues, as can the fuel lid. Coil pack and cables / plugs as well as injectors and throttle body / EGR all needed doing on ours (approaching 200k at the time), and it is only with these and a new genuine NGK/NTK lambda that I got it running really sweetly around Christmas time (after 4 years incremental restoration of the fuelling and ignition parts) resulting in genuine tank to tank average going well into mid 40s mpg with a run up to @George Hogg 's place and back as well as normal driving, and 15% better than previously on pure daily commuting (~38-9mpg instead of 32-33 week in week out)

I replaced all window switches on my daughters A2, the main drivers door switch was a cheap one from Amazon and it’s still going strong two years later, I think it was 15 quid. Worth a try at that price.

Ian

Back