Aux belt / tensioner problem

IvanTang

I have got a 04 plate BHC, since I bought the car in Nov, I noticed the belt squeaking noise and tensioner vibrating heavily. After removing the belt, the tensioner is bad so I replaced it couple of months ago.
Just did some other work under the bonnet and noticed the new aux belt edge is rubbing against the AC Compressor, and quite a lot of belt dust accumulated around the area. Tensioner is still heavily vibrating whenever engine is on. Anyone can enlighten me the reason of this happening? The tensioner and belt was bought at Autodoc, Gates set for AC equipped vehicle.

Is alternator pulley OK? Should turn free in one direction, locked in other - with alternator shaft held in position

Last edited:
Yes, sounds like the freewheel pulley on the alternator is seizing up. Do you get a slight squeaking at low revs? That’s what mine did along with the symptoms you have

I had the same issue 2 years ago. You will need to buy alternator pulley tool and new pulley If you want I can send you the links for the pulley and tool which fits your engine. I got the same 1.4 tdi BHC engine as you. The job itself takes 10 minutes all in. Tool cost around 30 quid pulley cost around 20 to 30 depends on the brand. Dont drive with it because the bearing could snap any time and it will destroy the alternator shaft. New alternator cost around 250 quid so change it ASAP.

I had the same issue 2 years ago. You will need to buy alternator pulley tool and new pulley If you want I can send you the links for the pulley and tool which fits your engine. I got the same 1.4 tdi BHC engine as you. The job itself takes 10 minutes all in. Tool cost around 30 quid pulley cost around 20 to 30 depends on the brand. Dont drive with it because the bearing could snap any time and it will destroy the alternator shaft. New alternator cost around 250 quid so change it ASAP.
If you don't mind sending me the link it will be lovely! Thanks a lot.

I needed the tool rather quick so I got it from Amazon with next day delivery.

Mekanik Alternator Freewheel... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07943W5FY?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Same with pulley I got German made febi which is as good as genuine audi they both came next day from Amazon

febi bilstein 15262 Alternator... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CD1K8KG?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

If you need help with the tool let me know it's very easy to replace. Don't drive the car if you can because your old pulley can literally seize any time and worst case you will need another alternator.

So, bad news, got all the right tool but I rounded off the bolt to take off the pulley, so, I will need an alternator. Any recommendation for getting an alternator?

Check forums shop someone should have good used one for decent price. If not there should be some on ebay

This one is from A2 and should fit it's 36 quid. If you buy it I would replaced that old pulley for new one because you can be in the same situation again when that old soon or later fail.

So, bad news, got all the right tool but I rounded off the bolt to take off the pulley, so, I will need an alternator. Any recommendation for getting an alternator?
Best bet is to remove the alternator and take it to be reconditioned.

It will be like new, internals tested and renewed, fully painted and fitted with a new pulley ready to simply bolt straight back on.

Ask them to fit a genuine pulley for a few £'s more (which I believe from memory was made by INA) for 20 years trouble free use again rather than a cheap one that won't last 5 minutes.

I did exactly this and used a place called Rotating Electrics in Birmingham who turned it around in about an hour but I'm sure there will be similar places more local to you.

You also then know it's definitely the correct one for the car and original quality and if you're anything like me are happy that it's still the original one factory fitted from new, just performing and looking like new again too 👍

Last edited:
I have the tool but I had to cut the pulley off the alternator as it was so tight, i used a thin cutting disc on a angle grinder.

This one is from A2 and should fit it's 36 quid. If you buy it I would replaced that old pulley for new one because you can be in the same situation again when that old soon or later fail.

Unfortunately it’s a 90A, the one on the far right now should be a 140A

So, after two belts and two alternator later, the inevitable happened, Aux belt melted and snapped, and the cause is AC compressor seized. So I need a AC compressor, hopefully bolts are not going to snapped like the alternator bolt. And take out the crank pulley to clean off melted rubber. Yay

Attachments

• 94DA7574-F5E5-45CD-963A-84756C9FB801.jpeg
    94DA7574-F5E5-45CD-963A-84756C9FB801.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 8
Back