Best modern classics 2023 UK: retro heroes on a budget

sailesh

A2OC Donor
Spot-on piece in CAR Magazine today:

“Not all modern classic cars are over-endowed with power, or capable of ripping around the Nordschleife in less than eight minutes. Sometimes they are clever, visionary or just plain nice to own. The featherweight aluminium spaceframe Audi A2 falls into this group, with a trio of versions that range from unerringly economical (the diesel) to near hot-hatch quick (the 110bhp 1.6 FSI). Yes, it looks a little odd, but it oozes build quality, has great interior room for its size and you’ll find a good one for less than £2000.

This is a car with a lot of urban myths attached to it. So let’s put these straight right now. You can open the bonnet, they’re not particularly difficult to work on, and putting the wipers on won’t make the car wobble. Being a product of the Ferdinand Piëch era of the Volkswagen Group, it’s pleasantly over-engineered, so the A2 is packed with bespoke parts, which makes keeping one in fine fettle expensive at times. Otherwise, enjoy this clever, economcal and ruthlessly efficient small car that looks like it was launched in 2019, not 1999.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My first A2, 2002 TDi did wobble from side to side at the lights when the wipers were on. It’s not a myth, it’s true.
My 2003 A2 doesn’t do it, must be different wiper arms?

My first A2, 2002 TDi did wobble from side to side at the lights when the wipers were on. It’s not a myth, it’s true.
My 2003 A2 doesn’t do it, must be different wiper arms?

Yep, I had an early 1.4 that did it. A quirk :)

Possibly something in the suspension setup? OSS might make a difference too.
No, my suspension on the 02 car was standard. I’m fairly certain at the end of each wiper stroke the car moved in the direction of the stroke just before it reversed.
It was all a bit silly wobbling from side to side in tune with the wiper. I think the wiper was a big heavy standard thing. The 03 car came with a lighter aero blade. I also think the later arm is the only one supplied by Audi since. Wobbly A2 will be a rarity these days.
Both cars bought new with factory wiper arms and blades.

It was best felt when driving at cca. 100km/h and wiper on highest speed.
You could feel the car moving left/right :).

My first A2 (2000 manufactured 2001 registered) X reg 1.4 petrol SE certainly does and my 2003 FSI does, though less pronounced.
I was out driving in the rain yesterday with my 2001 1.2TDI and it didnt do it. It has the newer type of arm though.

Back