Boot lock

A replacement as spike outlines is an easy and (relatively) cheap solution.
But isn't the default issue for the boot to lock and not open?
For example if closed with the battery disconnected the boot should lock?

You could try to see if the mechanism works by clearing out the boot, folding down the rear seats (so you can access the battery) and then disconnect the battery and then close the boot. If it does not latch then it would show the problem is in the mechanism whilst if it locks I guess the problem could be in the electronics...

It may be worth trying that before buying a new lock just in case it was a problem with the electronics?

John

The new lock mechanism is not too expensive. I paid £29.50 within the last 2 years.
The part number is:
4B9 827 505 N - Lock with microswitch
8Z0 827 520 - Plastic cover for mechanism (about another £5)

Hi, can anyone help, I've locked the car but the boot can still lift up. Thanks .

Do you mean that it shuts, but not firmly? And you also get the warning symbol in the instrument display? Well, if that is the case, then it can just be a simple matter of alignment. Forget all about new lock mechanisms, etc. You do all the re-alignment with the lower part of the set-up. (the steel loop that is struck by the boot-lid component.) Just expose it by removing the plastic boot section at the rear. Now slightly loosen and manipulate that bracket until you get the hatch to open and close perfectly. It is pretty obvious, with trial-and-error, how to go about this .... Well, it certainly worked out great for me!

David

Hi no it's not alignment problem but wife in boot and tried it and it lined up fine.when you try to open boot by pressing switch on boot no noise.so seem's to be electrical.

Hi no it's not alignment problem but wife in boot and tried it and it lined up fine.when you try to open boot by pressing switch on boot no noise.so seem's to be electrical.

But I thought it wouldn't lock?
The locking is not electrically operated, even with no battery the boot locks and just doesn't unlock.

Are you sure that the lock has not closed and stayed closed and so stopping the boot form closing.

Have a look and see if you can see the "bar" that moves across to lock the boot?

You shouldn't see anything there.

It is also worth you trying to use the "secret" unlock (look for the small plastic flap that is near the bottom of the rear screen (on the inside) lift that out with a key or similar and then pull that cable and it would release the lock manually if it has closed and won't open electrically.

Steve B

Tell me when you operate the boot to open it (as if it was locked and secure) do you hear anything cos if you dont it will be the actuator not the lock.
They are usually recoverable with some wd40.
Removing rear panel will make it all clear.
HTH

Roy

Hi guy"s thank"s for all advice.it is boot lock the metal piece that"s supposed to move is just flopping back and forth.so order"d new one.thanks

Hi guy"s thank"s for all advice.it is boot lock the metal piece that"s supposed to move is just flopping back and forth.so order"d new one.thanks

If you have not already done so, its worth ordering the plastic cover to go with the metal lock assembly. Its almost impossible to remove the cover from the old lock without damage.

Cheers Spike

Back