Bose speakers. Are they better/different?

Oskar

A2OC Donor
I have upgraded my amplifier and added a subwoofer etc, and now notice my midrange and higher low range is somewhat lacking.

I wish to upgrade at least my front door speakers to try and fill this out.

I seem to recall someone saying the Bose front door speakers made a good difference. Is this the case, and is there any knowledge if this would apply also to non-Bose systems?

I am keen to keep all the tweeters and connectors etc, so am hoping a Bose speaker upgrade would be easy, but it needs to be worth it sound wise.

Any advice appreciated.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have upgraded my amplifier and added a subwoofer etc, and now notice my midrange and higher low range is somewhat lacking.

I wish to upgrade at least my front door speakers to try and fill this out.

I seem to recall someone saying the Bose front door speakers made a good difference. Is this the case, and is there any knowledge if this would apply also to non-Bose systems?

I am keen to keep all the tweeters and connectors etc, so am hoping a Bose speaker upgrade would be easy, but it needs to be worth it sound wise.

Any advice appreciated.

Matt

I was wondering about this, I was poking around on VCDS and noticed the radio was coded for Bose, yet the car doesn’t have bose as far as I know (I assume there’s some Bose branding on the speaker grilles if it does?)

This made me think maybe someone did this because they preferred the EQ on the Bose setting or something…
It’s also a TT radio rather than an original A2 one I think

My unit is off an A6 (Concert 1), but I coded the BOSE out as I don't have (or want) the BOSE amps etc. I am not sure it makes any difference (to a non-BOSE setup).

It's the Bose amp that makes the difference, not the drivers, although they may be better.
I believe the Bose drivers are lower impedance than the non Bose, so not interchangeable anyway.
Changing the radio coding is to suit the Bose amp, and bring up the Bose logo on the radio.
Again, Bose radio coding will not work without Bose amp etc.
Mac.

The BOSE drivers are 3 ohm where the standard drivers are 4 ohm I believe, or even 2 vs. 3. So no, they can't be used without the BOSE amp. I'm [very!] reliably informed that the BOSE coding actually does nothing at all, without a particular wiring configuration also being in place, that tells the headunit that the BOSE amp is physically present. So ripping a headunit out of a car with BOSE and putting it in another car without it, will just cause the headunit to revert to standard mode.

Note from the first post Matt has installed an upgraded amp of some kind. Suppose it just depends if it is compatible with Bose speakers.

Andy

The standard speakers are 3 ohm, as I remember them being a strange eating. Not sure what the Bose ones are rated at as I cannot make out the label.

I think the question boils down to, do they sound any better? Or how much better…..

Tricky to answer unless someone has done a similar upgrade (and from memory, someone here has…..).

Thanks
Matt

I have had both standard and Bose. No point with Bose, time has run out for that system. Its overhyped, spend instead money on OSS or good looking rims from A1.

Purchase a modern headunit that have all the x-over you can dream about, and add a powered subwoofer. Remove everything below 40-50hz from door speakers, let the subwoofer take care of that. It will kill Bose any day.

Back