Building race car

A2racecar

Hi.

We are building are race car from a a2 to fit the Norwegian racing GT5 class. There is as limit to 2076cc and a max original 180hp, max 160 whp, no diesel, weight to horsepower ratio 7,3, minimum weight 800kg with driver. Only natural aspired engines. Everythig else is free. Engine Management System, throttlebody, exhaust and so on….

We have a 1,6 fsi now but are thinking about a bigger engine to get more torque. Gessing our weight with driver will be around 870kg race ready and will need around 120+ whp.
Nobody has ever built a race car from a2 around here, so I am asking for advice from you on this forum to what engine and gearbox
would you choose and why. We are limeted to VAG engine by the way :)

1e603ce63d9c5ced207a17679c22d6e1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The year before last I fitted an Audi A1 TFSI turbo to an FSI. This give it a significant boost in power but the high compression engine didn’t agree with the forced induction and went bang.

I think the 1.8t from the 9n3 would be the best engine you could get in there to be honest. They have the k03s turbo.

I think we both missed the point that it has to be an N/A engine.

Hmm that’s a tough one, because I can’t think of any engine from the VAG range that going to be small enough to fit but at the same time produce significantly more power than the FSI’s 110hp.

@Edwrai has fitted the Lupo GTI engine to the FSI and that can be modified to decent power levels without forced induction I believe.

Any particular reason for using an A2 rather than something with a lower centre of gravity like a polo?

1.6 Lupo GTI engine or even 1.8 from an Audi TT would fit and the more torque you could get the better. I don’t think a 150bhp MK2 Golf GTI engine would fit???

Any particular reason for using an A2 rather than something with a lower centre of gravity like a polo?

1.6 Lupo GTI engine or even 1.8 from an Audi TT would fit and the more torque you could get the better. I don’t think a 150bhp MK2 Golf GTI engine would fit???
Weight?

Being aluminium this is a given but I race karts and cars and the lower the centre of gravity the better the car/kart corners, weight reduction helps acceleration/braking but there was a min weight of 800kg inc driver. I’d be interested to see lap times on differently configured cars but I think a stripped out polo with a 2.0 engine and overall lower centre of gravity will be faster.

Cheap!

Hi.

We are building are race car from a a2 to fit the Norwegian racing GT5 class. There is as limit to 2076cc and a max original 180hp, max 160 whp, no diesel, weight to horsepower ratio 7,3, minimum weight 800kg with driver. Only natural aspired engines. Everythig else is free. Engine Management System, throttlebody, exhaust and so on….

We have a 1,6 fsi now but are thinking about a bigger engine to get more torque. Gessing our weight with driver will be around 870kg race ready and will need around 120+ whp.
Nobody has ever built a race car from a2 around here, so I am asking for advice from you on this forum to what engine and gearbox

The 7.3 weight to horse power ratio? Does this mean if the car weights 800kg it can only have 109.5hp?

Hi.

Are you allowed to modify the bore, and/or the stroke?
That's the traditional route to increase power/torque?
Mac.

Back