Chat Bye Bye A2

Johann

I bought my A2 brand new on 10.10.01 and as many of you know I love this little beast. But since you lot (pointing at Chris and Mike!) got me into camping, the bug has bitten and the camping turned to glamping and the kitchen sink now comes with. A roof box was bought but can only take so much. So if I take everything there is no space left for a third person in the back.

But until now there has been absolutely NOTHING I had wanted to change the A2 for. I had a few basic requirements:

1. Rear seats that can adjust in many ways AND can be taken out.
2. A panoramic sunroof that can open (So no Peugeot or Nissan Cashcow fishbowls for me thanks).
3. It has to be compacious (Nissan Micra speak for Compact yet Spacious)
4. Has to be scarce and unique.
5. Has to be frugal with diesel.

A tall order yes, but then the A2 has all of those things in spades.

Now... From those requirements who can guess what I've just paid a deposit on and will be parked outside my house in 16 weeks?

Last edited:
I bought my A2 brand new on 10.10.01 and as many of you know I love this little beast. But since you lot (pointing at Chris and Mike!) got me into camping, the bug has bitten and the camping turned to glamping and the kitchen sink now comes with. A roof box was bought but can only take so much. So if I take everything there is no space left for a third person in the back.

But until now there has been absolutely NOTHING I had wanted to change the A2 for. I had a few basic requirements:

1. Rear seats that can adjust in many ways AND can be taken out.
2. A panoramic sunroof that can open (So no Peugeot or Nissan Cashcow fishbowls for me thanks).
3. It has to be compacious (Nissan Micra speak for Compact yet Spacious)
4. Has to be scarce and unique.
5. Has to be frugal with diesel.

A tall order yes, but then the A2 has all of those things in spades.

Now... From those requirements who can guess what I've just paid a deposit on and will be parked outside my house in 16 weeks?

I would go for a Skoda Roomster. Or maybe a Yeti?

You know your cars well! Yep. Just ordered this:

Skoda Yeti 140 CR TDI Elegance 4x4
Aqua Blue (yes nearly exactly the same colour as the A2)
Sunroof
Park Assist
Tyre Pressure Monitor
Upgraded Sound
Spare wheel
Variable floor

I used www.drivethedeal.co.uk which gave over £2500 discount vs the Skoda dealer's meagre £500.

I love the Roomster and it has been my favourite for some time especially in Scout guise, BUT it is a gold fish bowl since the sunroof can't open.

You know your cars well! Yep. Just ordered this:

Skoda Yeti 140 CR TDI Elegance 4x4
Aqua Blue (yes nearly exactly the same colour as the A2)
Sunroof
Park Assist
Tyre Pressure Monitor
Upgraded Sound
Spare wheel
Variable floor

I used www.drivethedeal.co.uk which gave over £2500 discount vs the Skoda dealer's meagre £500.

I love the Roomster and it has been my favourite for some time especially in Scout guise, BUT it is a gold fish bowl since the sunroof can't open.

I was very seriously considering one myself but in the middle of a house purchase we thought it better to get something second-hand till the dust settles and there were very few second-hand Yetis.

They seem like a great car and a lot of the switchgear and the feel of the car has that VAG similarity to the Audis.

Good luck with it!

It is amazing how quickly one feels at home in any VAG product these days. The light switch, the cruise control, the trip computer, the way the doors lock when you move off, all that is just so familiar.

But things have moved on thankfully. You can now set all these things yourself in what is called the DIS on an A2. You can decide if you want the cornerning fog lamps on, if the day time running lights should be on or off automatically, if you want the wiper to park in different spots after every five uses, if you want the windows and sunroof to close if the rain sensor detects rain (and the car is parked and locked), if the doors should auto lock, etc, etc... You can even stop the Xenon lights from swivelling and set them for Continental driving from the driver's seat. So no need to put little stickers on the lights.

Many new toys to play with that I have never had in a car before.

Congratulations on the new car, it's just a shame it's the end of the A2.

I've been camping for 2 in a Smart ForTwo. Sounds like you need to go back to basics and remove that kitchen sink :)

Johann, I'm really gutted you are selling your A2...really gutted...especially as you have owned it since new.

You'll love it though - I think they are a great looking car although the boot is considerably smaller than the A2 with a spare wheel fitted (something like 260L).

Thinking of selling your A2 on here...?

Still, there is at least one Johan(n) with an A2 around here!

Yes I know! There will be a Johan with an A2 for some time yet!

The boot is not huge no. BUT it is a lot bigger than the A2's even with the spare since the rear seats can slide forward by 150mm or so. I've not gone out to measure the A2's boot and have the Yeti's measurements from the Yeti forum (sorry, yes, had to join that too... hanging head in shame).

These pics are without the spare and false floor I realise:

Yeti_56.jpg

Yeti_61.jpg

More pics here: http://new.skoda-auto.com/com/model/yeti/gallery/pictures/Pages/pictures.aspx

I would have loved to keep the A2 as a classic forever. But alas it does not make sense. We are picking up a Mazda MX-5 convertible this weekend as well and three cars in London just won't work. Especially since I only have on street parking and the first two are CO2 based prices but the third is a flat rediculous parking rate to stop people from having three cars! So I will sell the A2. And if it is via the A2OC even better. Though I will only let it go in 16 weeks. So plenty more camping to do before then!

Last edited:
Dealer just phoned! 10:00am tomorrow morning the MX-5 is ready for collection! AND the sun will be out!

oh no.. are you going to come camping to the warwick castle this year johann?

How much camping stuff have you got now?

oh no.. are you going to come camping to the warwick castle this year johann?

How much camping stuff have you got now?

Richard I have to be honest in saying I have not been following the A2OC's camping things... What dates?

I have 3 softball tournaments this year that involves camping, plus a few other group trips already booked so the summer is getting full. And you know our summer is only, what, 3 days long!

Never mind the kitchen sink, it's the fire pit you need to leave behind

although the A2 will be absent from future socials, I trust you'll not be Johann.

Cheers

mike

ps don't go blaming me for getting you camping - Ive always been pretty reluctant myself!!!

You'll love it though - I think they are a great looking car although the boot is considerably smaller than the A2 with a spare wheel fitted (something like 260L).

And Chris the Yeti's boot is 416 litres sans spare wheel and 322 litres with the spare wheel fitted and the seats in their rearmost position. The A2's boot is 390 litres and I don't know how much after you fit the false floor... (say 310 litres?) So the Yeti's is slightly bigger without pushing the seats forward.

The Yeti's is 740mm deep (http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/156711-boot-floor-size/) and 890mm when you move the seats forward. So say 15% bigger when you move the seats, making the "with spare" size about 370 litres. (478 litres sans spare).

So by no means an Octavia Combi cavern, but at least bigger than my A2 and you can certainly fit taller things in as the back is so square.

Last edited:
Never mind the kitchen sink, it's the fire pit you need to leave behind

although the A2 will be absent from future socials, I trust you'll not be Johann.

Cheers

mike

ps don't go blaming me for getting you camping - Ive always been pretty reluctant myself!!!

hehehe... I really enjoy camping with you guys and if a Yeti will be allowed to hide behind a bush somewhere (as Yetis do) I'd certainly still come camping with the A2OC.

Now Mike can I just say we need someone like you on the Yeti forum! I see all these questions being asked and no one yet to answer them! Like how does one fit electrically closing mirrors to a Yeti and such like... things only YOU will be able to answer. So PLEASE order a Yeti yourself. They look pretty mean in black.

Darn as luck would have have it, I am busy that weekend so can't come camping alas.

Dealer is now saying 20 weeks wait! The Yeti is just too darn popular with huge waiting list. Grrr.

Well I have finally been given a Build Week by Skoda. It is week 41! Grrr. So the Yeti will be born on 11-10-10. So still in keeping with the A2's buying date. BUT I won't be able to pick him up on 10-10-10 as I had hoped. But he might be ready come 10-11-10 or 11-11-10. So binary the car will still be. But a SEVEN MONTH wait for a Skoda?!!? Gosh.

Here is something I found on the French Yeti forum about the boot size (which Chris was on about and I was guessing the figures with the spare wheel).

img007.jpg

Back