Cam belt Gone

A2B

A2OC Donor
Just had the cam belt go on my 51 reg. Audi A2 1.4 Petrol.

Garage says there's internal damage (valves at least).

It seems a shame but it looks like the cost to fix will be greater than its market value, so may need to scrap.

Anyone know what sort of cost I would be looking at?

Paul.

It cost me over £800 in parts and labour and that was only valve damage, if your pistons are damaged the cost would be higher.

An engine swap is normally recommended if you can find one cheap enough.

It is sad to hear of another A2 cam-belt failure.

They deteriorate over time, even if a low mileage has passed since replacement.

Fingers crossed for you, I hope you find an affordable solution.

Steve B

Last edited:
Value as a non running 1.4 petrol will be around £300 depending on spec so will be well worth putting a replacement engine in. They can be had from around £150.

Thanks guys, but it feels like I will need to spend as much if not more than it worth. A shame really as all was good to this point.

Not sure if anyone would be interested in buying the car as is?

Thanks guys, but it feels like I will need to spend as much if not more than it worth. A shame really as all was good to this point.

Not sure if anyone would be interested in buying the car as is?

Sorry to here about your misfortune, why not give Tony a call at A2 cars before you let it go, he may be able to save it for you or at least give you a ball park figure to fix, I notice on your profile it lowish mileage so if body reflects this too it may be worth the extra cost and you get to keep a great car!
If you need a vehicle ASAP Tony may have a courtesy car to use!
If you've had enough of the whole thing maybe post a few pics up of your car for potential buyers, good luck on you're decision!
Cheers Jeff

Back