CCCU with No Letters

mlowther

Hi, I need to replace the CCCU on my 2001 Audi. There is no "letter" after the 8Z0 959 433. I haven't seen any for sale with no "letter". Can someone recommend where I can find one? Thank you :)

Have a full VCDS scan done on the car.

Under address 46 Central Convenience you will find the part number of the CCCU and its crucial letter version. Once you know the full part number then the path to direct replacement or upgraded version is there.

At the age of your car ( it is an A2 isn't it ) I am certain it will be one of the earlier single letter CCCUs but would not like to guess as to which.

Morning,

Inclined to agree with Graham here that the part number without a letter suffix at the end will be the earlier generation of the module, as backed up by the information found on the CCCU Wiki:

If you’re unable to confirm what VCDS thinks the part number is as Graham also suggests, then look at the remote half of the key for for its part number. the part number will most definitely be 8Z0837231 with no letter at the end of it. If this is the case then a single lettered suffix CCCU will be required.

If your remote half of the fobs part number has a D at the end (8Z0837231D) then you’ll need you’ll require a double lettered suffix CCCU. Due the the age of your A2 I would put money on it leaving the factory with with a CCCU that has a part number with no letter or a single lettered suffix but it could easily have been changed in the last 23 years by a previous owner.

I’ll go back to what Graham suggest, check to see what part number comes up in VCDS within channel 46 or simply look at the remote half of the key fob for its part number. Hope that all makes sense.

Kind regards,

Tom

Have a full VCDS scan done on the car.

Under address 46 Central Convenience you will find the part number of the CCCU and its crucial letter version. Once you know the full part number then the path to direct replacement or upgraded version is there.

At the age of your car ( it is an A2 isn't it ) I am certain it will be one of the earlier single letter CCCUs but would not like to guess as to which.

Morning,

Inclined to agree with Graham here that the part number without a letter suffix at the end will be the earlier generation of the module, as backed up by the information found on the CCCU Wiki:

If you’re unable to confirm what VCDS thinks the part number is as Graham also suggests, then look at the remote half of the key for for its part number. the part number will most definitely be 8Z0837231 with no letter at the end of it. If this is the case then a single lettered suffix CCCU will be required.

If your remote half of the fobs part number has a D at the end (8Z0837231D) then you’ll need you’ll require a double lettered suffix CCCU. Due the the age of your A2 I would put money on it leaving the factory with with a CCCU that has a part number with no letter or a single lettered suffix but it could easily have been changed in the last 23 years by a previous owner.

I’ll go back to what Graham suggest, check to see what part number comes up in VCDS within channel 46 or simply look at the remote half of the key fob for its part number. Hope that all makes sense.

Kind regards,

Tom
Thanks Tom. The key fob doesn't have the part number at all. I don't have access to VCDS. My reader is not compatible with VCDS software.

Best you find an old laptop with a usb port, buy a KKL lead from ebay and download the free Lite version of VCDS from the Ross Tech web site.

The saga continues......I'm going to sell the Audi A2 so I'm not wanting to put a lot of money in it. We live in Portugal and I couldn't find a KKL that was reasonably priced from within the EU.We just got a new Peugeot so we don't need the older car. I asked our Peugeot salesman about a getting a new CCCU part. He recommended one from ebay.

I tried to start the car and the battery was dead....brand new battery. So I jumped it and the car started. I watched a video on how to replace the CCU. I was able to get the connectors off of the old one. I tried to connect the new one, but noticed something different. The current CCU only has 3 connectors. I'm attaching pictures. Shouldn't there be 4? So I connected the new one the way the old one was connected and same issue, no door locks/electric windows, etc....and the battery is dead again. Is it because the new CCCU is not compatible? Or something else.

I really appreciate your help, as you can tell my mechanic skills are limited :)

First pic is connectors in the car right now, second image is the original CCCU and the last is the new CCCU.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-02-17 at 10.30.22 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-02-17 at 10.30.22 (1).jpeg
    194.5 KB · Views: 35
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-02-17 at 10.30.22 (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-02-17 at 10.30.22 (2).jpeg
    265.1 KB · Views: 30
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-02-17 at 10.30.22.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-02-17 at 10.30.22.jpeg
    264.8 KB · Views: 33
Looks like the replacement CCCU is a different part number to your original. Does the original have four sockets for the wiring or only three to match the loom. My gut feeling is there was wiring changes contained in the four plug CCCU that does not match the three plug loom on your car. The red plug is not fitted to your car loom. Do not know what runs through the red plug.

Still suggest you have the car scanned with VCDS and the old CCCU to see what the car thinks is wrong.. CCCU is not a straight swap anyway and even less so when the part number is changed. Some things are only supported by certain part numbers i.e. rear electric windows.

As you are selling it put the old CCCU back in and explain the issues when you sell the car.

Not sure if @timmus could enlighten us with his superior knowledge of electrics and CCCUs.

I should be able to provide a replacement CCCU for this car, and am happy to post internationally.

All the best,

Tom

To add to the excellent information already posted.

- Your original CCCU without a suffix has remote central locking and I would guess only supports car with rear electric windows.
- The H suffix on your new CCCU means it doesn’t have remote central locking. So, assuming everything else is okay, it will work with the key in the door, but not remotely. It also has hardware to support rear door locks on cars without rear windows
- The 3 plugs in your car is because it has rear electric windows. If it had manual rear windows, it would have 4 plugs.

Apologies if I’m wrong with any of this, this is information from the wiring diagram and the Wiki, not my own experience, feel free to correct! :)

Back