Climate control doesn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

realdriver

Hello all, my girlfriend just bought an ex-demo 1.4 petrol and the climate control doesn't seem to work (no heat at all)... Is there a trick to this or is it just broken? Has anybody had any problems with this?

RealDriver,

Perhaps you are already aware, but you cannot relate the heat output from a climate control system in the same way as say putting your hand over the outlet to a old fashioned conventional heater system.

In terms of whether you CC is working or not – maybe its been switched off, so check the display window to ensure that the word “Auto” can be seen. If it cannot be seen then press the “Auto” button on the unit itself. The display panel will also indicate the current outside temperature together with the desired internal temperature that is required, so if you desire “warmth” make sure there is a big difference between these digits. Its also important to check the “fan speed” (in the display window) because without the fan the CC will not function – so do make sure that the fan is on setting 4 or 5 along the horizontal graphical scale.

As I say do not expect “hot air” to come out of the vents, because it will not happen.

Obviously the trick is to play around a bit more before concluding that you have a mechanical problem.

Regards
John Disdale

Thanks,

It seems that when we press ECON, the air is warmer. When it is on auto, the air is always cold. Sorry, but our user manual is in German..

Pressing ECON switches off the air condtioning, so the air will tend to warm up. It sounds like the air conditioning is working.
If you have Auto selected and dial in a high temperature, does the car warm up? If you then dial in 18 degress, does the car cool down?

If not, there could be a faulty sensor.

MartinW

I do believe that something is wrong, if I set the temp to "HI" and leave it in Auto, the car still blows out reletively cold air... and doesn't warm up noticeably (like, I still feel cold a minute or 2 after). The aircon certainly works, because if I set it to 18 Celsius, it become cool. It's just that it wont warm-up

Assuming the engine is warm enough when you try this out, it sounds like a faulty temperature sensor - time for a visit to your dealer.

MartinW

Can someone please put me right. If say the outside temp is 12C (54F) and the climate control is set to 20C (70F) with a midway fan speed, then I believe you will not be able to put your hand over a vent and detect “hot” air because the warming up process is very gradual. Am I right or wrong ?

Regards
John Disdale

JD - I don't have an Audi to try it on any more, but I would have thought that if you press the ECON button to turn the air conditioning off and set the temperature to HI, then you should feel warm air coming out of the vent.
I may be wrong of course!

MartinW

Just another question into the climate pot-how long does it take for your CC unit to start performing?. Let me explain:

Outside temp is 5degrees, CC temp is set to auto on 25degrees. My CC unit will stay on 1 bar for fan speed for ages. Is this right?.

Does it think that if it doesn't have heat to give off yet there is no point pumping in cold air?.

Cheers.

Steve - 2003 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior

There is a big difference in automation between a climate control system and a basic AC setup – and yes CC will calculate what fan speeds its needs to boost or reduce to achieve the desired temp settings.

1. Try putting the CC on Lo.
2. Then raise temperature again.

For some reason, this resets the CC if it has gone wild.

What I have found is that when its cold in the mornings and you set off with cc on say 24, nothing will happen until the water temp gage starts moving - as the engine warms up, the cc will speed up the fan in order to achieve cabin temp.

If you want to clear your windows, press the front screen button and it will automatically put blower on max to try and clear windows no matter what the temp.

So basically, give it a while for the car to warm up, then the CC gets going!

2003 A2 1.4 SE in Cobalt blue, black interior, Climate Control, Winter Pack

Exactly right.

My first proper exposure to CC was on an A6 1.8Tq I had as a loan car for a couple of weeks in winter whilst our Cab was being sorted out. I was deeply impressed that on cold mornings it refused to let cold air into the cabin until the engine had warmed up. You could tell this as you would hear the fan start up - always at the same roundabout after 2 miles. So much nicer than my own A6 which you had to shut off all the vents for the first part of the journey and then guess when to open them up.

So when CC works its great - just set and forget !

If you find you are always having to play with it then either its a poor system in the first place or somethings not right with it.

Dave

1.4SE -> 1.6SE 3 weeks and counting

DaveS,

quote: just set and forget
This would be the best option, however it seems that European customers want to have loads of options. Compare a German made CC control unit to any other (say Japanese) and you will see loads more options. Believe it or not, apparently we want more gadgets than the Japanese customers!!
Regarding the A6 - I was personally involved in the development of the the cc unit for the A6 (C5), and your comments are good to hear.

Kaine

A2 1.4Tdi SE | black | red leather | Concert | Open Sky | A2OC Stickers x2

I have two complaints abou Audi CC :

You can't set the temperature below 18 ( iknow you can set low, but I find 18 too high sometimes)/

You can't have cold air to the face and warm air to the feet.

BMW have both these features. The CC can be set as low as 16, and there is an air temperature control for the face vents.

How about adding these to the Audi CC wish list?

MartinW

Martin,

I have two complaints about BMW CC:
1. It can't be set below 16.
2. The CC is in BMW.

As for your problem with the face/feet issue: Set the CC on 25, open the windows, close the gratings on the dash, and here you are: cold face, hot feet. If opening the windows makes too much noise: buy yourself a fan ;)

Regards,

JanF

2001 1.4 Petrol Exclusive
Cobalt Blue Metallic

quote: You can't have cold air to the face and warm air to the feet.

Known as 'Cool Air By-pass'. This option is known in AUDI. It has been available on the A8 for many years and will be carried across to the new A8. To be honest, I dont know why AUDI didn't specify it for other models like BMW have. I guess it may besomething to do with cost??, as it requires a more complex cc layout.

Kaine

The other option to “Cool Air By-Pass” is of course “Hot Air Up-ass” but I’ve yet to make use of my electric heated seats, so I don’t know how good the effect is.

Thanks for the answers guys re my CC query-it makes sense not to push cold air at speed into an already cold cabin until engine heat has built up!.

Steve - 2003 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior

John,

You joke, however the new LS430 and I think the S-Class have an option for Climate Controlled seats (hot or cold), plus there is now a system under development that measures your body temperature all over, and then decides the best mode for the cc.

Kaine

P.S. You may have guessed by now - I am full of useless information. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back