Concert 2 and CAN-BUS

ndavid

A2OC Donor
I have managed to fit my newly bought headunit (after I pulled up the volume button successfully), now I have this infamous illumination issue. But my car is a 2003 model with CAN-BUS.

Originally I had a Chorus 2 (8Z0 035 152 A), my new radio is a Concert 2 (8Z0 035 186 F). I though that changing it will be just a plug-and-play job but now the buttons are always dark.

Around 10 years ago I dropped the Chorus out and fitted a Blaupunkt unit (mistake 1) by an Audi dealer (mistake 2). I have just noticed that they did not use any ISO adapter but changed the wiring directly. The Blaupunkt unit requires the +12V in another PIN but everything else seems to be unchanged. That PIN is not used by the OEM unit.

I do not know if someone could help me remotely but my question is: are there any differences between the Chorus and Concert unit's PIN layout? If the wires are scrambled in my car, I have to change them back. Do anyone of you have a picture about the original layout?

Norbert

According to the wiring schematics, the generation 2 radios are the same, power wise. There's only 3 connections listed for the power plug (T8a) - pin 3 is the diagnostic wire (CAN) and is grey/white, pin 7 is the main power feed and contains a thick red/white wire and lastly pin 8 is the earth - thick brown wire.

Your car is listed as being a 2002 registration model so could be right on the change-over to CAN.

Cheers,

Michael

Thank you for the response. I will then check all the wires you mentioned.
(My car is a 11/2002 model, model year 2003 according to the VIN)

Norbert

Also check pins 7 & 12 on the 20 pin connector - these carry the CAN high and CAN low signals and will have thin orange/purple and orange/brown wires respectively (orange and green in pin 7 if you've not got driver info system on your car).

Cheers,

Michael.

I got it to work! Both CAN wires were cut and taped back to the bunch for some very unknown reason. Now lights are working and radio switches off when I turn the ignition off...

Yes, it was really quick and fruitful.
Still I have one thin brown wire that leads nowhere. Do you know what it could be? The only unused PIN now is DWA-GND...

Yes, it was a leftover from the anti-theft system used on early cars. It's fine to leave it disconnected, but do secure it and insulate it electrically.

Cheers

Michael.

Yes, it was a leftover from the anti-theft system used on early cars. It's fine to leave it disconnected, but do secure it and insulate it electrically.

Cheers

Michael.

Michael,

Am I right in thinking that this wire was connected to a chassis spade on Generation 1 head units and then to a pin in the 8-pin black connector (T8a) on Generation 2 head units? Although it doesn't feature on the wiring diagrams, I do know where it leads to ...but I don't know how it works. Do you know? What information is carried along this wire?

Audi are, for obvious reasons, very secretive about this wire. It's disguised in brown so as to appear to be an earth connection. All very cloak and dagger! :p

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
OK, thanks. It was already insulated but a bit differently. It might be like this since my car was new...

Michael,

Am I right in thinking that this wire was connected to a chassis spade on Generation 1 head units and then to a pin in the 8-pin black connector (T8a) on Generation 2 head units? Although it doesn't feature on the wiring diagrams, I do know where it leads to ...but I don't know how it works. Do you know? What information is carried along this wire?

Audi are, for obvious reasons, very secretive about this wire. It's disguised in brown so as to appear to be an earth connection. All very cloak and dagger! :p

Cheers,

Tom

I've never really investigated this wire Tom - you're right as to the connection position though.

Glad the OP is now fully functional again.

Cheers,

Michael

After a lot of searching this is the most similar situation with the one that I have:

My car is a 2003 model with CAN-BUS (I mean car is 2003, so it should have CAN-BUS, but sadly enough I have no idea how this CAN-BUS looks like).

Car was purchased with aftermarket radio that I will replace with Concert 2 (8E0 035 186 AA), yes this is from A4, I know, but after reading posts from timmus I am aware unit is the same only fascia is different (no issue there, will have it replaced or trimmed). There is some coding needed, but if only because of EQ settings I think of even skipping that.

I have Concert 2 unit installed, connected black connector, brown connector (speakers) and antenna.

Radio works but this are the issues:

- if there is no key/contact it does not turn on via pushing on button
- when key/contact in; buttons illuminate for few seconds, radio is off and when manually turned on, it works but no illumination of buttons when headlight on
- gets in safe mode after each turning on

Is there any connector other then black and brown that I should find and connect?

I assume not and that issue is with black connector meaning wires connected to it but I don't know how to proceed.

KR Peter

Attachments

• c2.png
    c2.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 430
Hi Peter,

There should be a third connector going into the back of the Concert II unit ...the black 20-pin connector, adjacent to the brown 8-pin brown connector. Is that missing from the car?

Cheers,

Tom

More information:

- there are 2 yellow and 2 blue cables not connected anywhere, what are those for?
- cables from car to black connector are three: brown, grey and red/white (from car) which goes to connector as blue
- from black connector there goes fourth cable as red/white which then goes as brown cable to climatronic

Wierd stuff :)

Attachments

• c2plus.png
    c2plus.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 693
timmus, thanks for quick reply, I was checking for this third 20pin black connector but it is nowhere to be found

Oh dear. Someone really has made a mess.
The two orange cables are the CAN system. They need to go into the missing 20-pin connector.

Am I right in thinking that your car is in Slovenia?

Cheers,

Tom

Tom, you are right, me and the car is in Slovenia. Do tell more :)

This is my third A2, black FSI is top notch, silver gasoline 1.4 almost there but has it all to be top notch (one glass panel of OSS cracked) and this diesel which is in bad shape, but could not resist to buy. Do not ask me why I have three as I don't know but I do know that my wife is really happy about it (not).

So, back to the issue, fun times ahead I would say :)

I’m about to head out for some exercise in the morning sunshine, but can return my attention to your car’s issues later. I’m also happy to post a few things to Slovenia to help you to get this repaired.

Unfortunately, I’m not in Slovenia. Otherwise I would help you with your A2 before going for a good hike in the Kamnik-Savinja massif. ?

In your black connector is red/white = constant plus, brown is earth and grey/white is K-line for diagnose. The 20-pin connector should house the canbus. Orange/green and orange/ brown or purple. Tom will know which is can-high and can-low. I believe orange- green will be can-high. Your radio will go on and off with the key in and out contact. Illumination lit through canbus when the lights are on.
But I doubt if this will work in an A2 . I have retrofitted 2 concert2 radios from A4 in an A2 but it did everything except on and off through key in and out of contact.

I hope Tom can shed some light onto this.

Cheers

Back