Dashboard Removal

BigG76

Afternoon all, really struggling to get my dashboard out. Done the right side (RH drive) but can get the passenger side out. No real guidance on how to remove airbag and can’t see any bolts/screws.

Left side is still quite solid. Please tell me I don’t have to remove heater etc.. help!

Use the search feature at the top, right of the home page. There's lots of posts on this. I've removed the dash a few times. It's quite a task. There are hidden fastners behind and under the dash. Two are high and difficult to access. You have to lay on your back and on some good foam padding to access them. A flexi screwdriver is a must. I'll not repeat all that you'll be reading if you use the search feature. Anyway, if the dash is still firmly fixed then it will be obvious that you've missed fastenings. so you investigate where they must be ..... finally, the dash will come loose.

David

Use the search feature at the top, right of the home page. There's lots of posts on this. I've removed the dash a few times. It's quite a task. There are hidden fastners behind and under the dash. Two are high and difficult to access. You have to lay on your back and on some good foam padding to access them. A flexi screwdriver is a must. I'll not repeat all that you'll be reading if you use the search feature. Anyway, if the dash is still firmly fixed then it will be obvious that you've missed fastenings. so you investigate where they must be ..... finally, the dash will come loose.

David
Hey David, thank you, I did try to check and no guides exist.

Evening,

Have you first studied the online manual for assistance. Although it’s not the best guide, it does show where all the fixings are and of course what needs to be removed prior to starting:

I’ve done this whole process quite a few times now and only basic tool are required. No need for a flexible screwdriver, just 3/8 ratchet with extensions get into the deep areas perfectly.

Study as much I formation as possible and some 2 hours later you’ll have it removed feeling quite good about yourself.

Are you upgrading to a Double DIN dashboard or removing for a colour swap?

If you was closer I’d give you a hand as well rehearsed in this task these days. All free of charge of course as I enjoy these kind of tasks.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thank you. Link doesn’t appear to work which is kinda typical of my day. I’ve managed to remove the four bolts for the airbag but that appears stuck on the right side so not sure what’s going wrong. I can’t see anymore fixings which is frustrating as hell. Yeah unfortunately I’m in Swanley, Kent but could really use the help 😂

Good Evening,

The online manual can be a pig to use, you would be much better off buying your own (illegal) copy of the workshop guide. To help some screenshots of some junk copy I bought years ago..

1689785754917.png

1689785882803.png

As you can see it is for LHD but just keep remembering to mirror it.

Andy

As you mention the airbag...

View attachment 110779

Andy
Thanks Andy. Managed to get it out with your help and being a contortionist certainly helped! I don’t know if you can help but I had smoke coming from the stereo/speedo area. I’ve a wire that appears to have melted its entire casing off. I’ve got to here.. (picture) but still can’t get to wiring harness to repair the wire. Can I remove the ‘shiny’ metal?

Attachments

• IMG_7503.jpeg
    IMG_7503.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 105
Sorry not an electrics man but this smoke is highly disturbing. Did it occur before you removed the dash or after?

The bare wire I can see looks odd, it does not look multi stranded, more like the bare earth wire you find in household wiring cable, too clean and shiny. If its insulation has melted surely you would see some sign of residue and this makes me think someone had no proper auto cable and used what they had, which makes me think it is an earth.

You need to find the source of the smoke.

I assume the battery is disconnected.

Andy

Sorry not an electrics man but this smoke is highly disturbing. Did it occur before you removed the dash or after?

The bare wire I can see looks odd, it does not look multi stranded, more like the bare earth wire you find in household wiring cable, too clean and shiny. If its insulation has melted surely you would see some sign of residue and this makes me think someone had no proper auto cable and used what they had, which makes me think it is an earth.

You need to find the source of the smoke.

I assume the battery is disconnected.

Andy
First, yes battery disconnected.

The wire (I think) has arced on another wire causing the smoke. I was replacing a radio. Radio worked, when I came back to the car and turned it on smoke started. In answer to your question, the wire is yellow at the multi plug (the hexagonal one on left side of steering column but about 1cm it turns into a bare wire seen here (picture) you’ll see some yellow residue on red wire. However, the bare wire couldn’t have melted as far as I can now see with the dash out. It may be an earth, I’m worried I’m wasting my time chasing the wire through the loom when maybe it’s supposed to be like it 🫠

Attachments

• IMG_7505.jpeg
    IMG_7505.jpeg
    59 KB · Views: 86
I would be astounded if Audi used a bare wire, I am confident you are not wasting your time. I know nothing about the connectors to the steering column and cannot comment further.

Some questions, the answers might help others to assist.

Where does the bare wire terminate at the other end (radio?)?
Is the bare wire stranded and look like a household cable earth cable?
Where does that single connector with the bare wire on you knee connect?
Is the replacement radio Audi?

This smacks of some previous dodgy wiring.

Andy

I would be astounded if Audi used a bare wire, I am confident you are not wasting your time. I know nothing about the connectors to the steering column and cannot comment further.

Some questions, the answers might help others to assist.

Where does the bare wire terminate at the other end (radio?)?
Is the bare wire stranded and look like a household cable earth cable?
Where does that single connector with the bare wire on you knee connect?
Is the replacement radio Audi?

This smacks of some previous dodgy wiring.

Andy
Hi Andy thanks for your time.

Can’t really answer at minute because I don’t know. What I do know is the bare wire goes up towards bulk head not towards the radio. The car already had an aftermarket stereo so essentially I was just replacing it. I know it’s not down to me wiring radio
Incorrectly as the radio
Worked. Not too sure, it’s a pig to get to the wires as the taping is rigid hence me wondering if I can remove the metal to get better access. Certainly not a job for faint hearted!

Please answer all the questions when you can.

Some more pictures annotated with arrows would help. I use Paint.

A picture of the hexagonal connector at each end might help, the idea being to establish the pin numbers of each wire, the pin number is embossed in the plastic. A wiring diagram will reveal where they all go and what they do from someone knowledgeable with wiring diagrams.

Andy

Thank you. It’s number 8. I’ve looked back and took pictures as I went. As I say, not sure on other end as haven’t reached it yet. You can see on the picture the colour of the wire..

Attachments

• IMG_7470.jpeg
    IMG_7470.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 68
So looks like the wire was yellow and red at some point in its life !

Attachments

• IMG_7472.jpeg
    IMG_7472.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_7471.jpeg
    IMG_7471.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_7470.jpeg
    IMG_7470.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
Can I remove the ‘shiny’ metal?
If you are referring to the triangular item with 3 bolts then I don't see why that cannot be removed so long as you put it back afterwards.

If not that item, then annotate the photo with an arrow or circle. I think all Windows versions come with Paint / Paint 3D. I've not used it for decades (prefer IrfanView) but I just opened Paint 3D, opened an image and had drawn a circle in a few seconds. Not difficult.

Back