Dbv 5w-30

I'm fairly sure Audi do not test or monitor lubricants so any oil company can claim they meet the VW specs. I have not heard of DBV and can't believe they could sell a compliant product for approx one third of the normal retail price. With oil, you only know wether it was up to the job or not after it wrecks your engine.
You would save a few pounds each year but I don't think it is worth the risk.

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
hi spike.
Your logic can't be faulted!put castrol edge 5-30 at my next service(standard).
my a2 have a little oil consumption(1lt every 5000 km)...putting oil 5-40 or 10-40(on castrol website for 1.4 petrol standard service is suggested5-30 and 5-40 edge).It could minimize this consumption??all that in consideration of the sicily summer is very hot!

cheers
antonio

Hi Antonio
For standard service intervals on petrol cars you need oil to the VW 504.00 or 502.00 specs. Although Castrol Edge 5w30 is the first choice, Edge 5w40 also complies - as you spotted. In very hot summers you could try the 5w40 grade but ideally you should revert to 5w30 in autumn. This could be more expensive than adding a litre every 5000 km.
I worked for a diesel engine company and ran many oil test programmes. We often found that heavier grade oils made oil consumption worse. The theory was the piston rings had a harder time scraping the thicker oil off the cylinder bores so more ended up in the combustion chamber and was burnt.

Cheers Spike

Back