De-chroming exercise complete (kinda)

Hey all,
Following from the replacing of the rear badges with black versions, I previously posted about, I went the next step; front grille and rear strip.
The pictures tell the story, basically I used a strip of 50mm 3M gloss black vinyl wrap.
My hands are not good at subtle craft projects so my partner gamely wrapped the grille chrome with one continuous run of wrap, She did an awesome job.

I chose to replace the whole grille, taking of the late model slatted version and use the earlier solid service flap one. The fitting is mostly the same except the newer version has integrated threads in the bar that attaches to the bonnet whereas the older version (at least the one I got from eBay) would have used nut/bolt pairs. Also the chrome strip surround has slightly different fixing tabs so my initial plan of using the chrome from the newer grille on the older one due to it being in better condition was not possible.

I think the front grille de-chrome looks really good. Definitely feels more modern.
The rear strip under the boot I am less sure about and am considering removing the vinyl wrap. We’ll see as it is slowly growing on me. Would love to hear your opinions on both.
I went with gloss black rather than Matt as that was the finish of the rear badges and I wanted to match.

Attachments

• PNG image 2.jpg
    PNG image 2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 116
  • PNG image 3.jpg
    PNG image 3.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 110
  • PNG image 4.jpg
    PNG image 4.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 114
  • PNG image.jpg
    PNG image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 113
Sorry but the rear bumper strip definitely doesn't work for me. I see where you were coming from but in black it just jumps out and upsets the whole look of the rear, to my eye. Maybe if the whole number plate panel were black it would work better? (and the A2 badge back in chrome as per the Audi rings on the service flap).

That said, this is one photo from one angle. Maybe it'll look better in the real when I get see it at Brooklands. Looking forward to that :)

Hi

Well I think the black logos work against crystal blue, as does the de chroming of the grill, but for me the trim on the rear bumper makes too much of a statement

best wishes

J

Sorry but the rear bumper strip definitely doesn't work for me. I see where you were coming from but in black it just jumps out and upsets the whole look of the rear, to my eye. Maybe if the whole number plate panel were black it would work better? (and the A2 badge back in chrome as per the Audi rings on the service flap).

That said, this is one photo from one angle. Maybe it'll look better in the real when I get see it at Brooklands. Looking forward to that :)
Here's something to think about (note the strip is still in original alu but the Audi rings are black)

Back