Diesel Problem

Evil Sid

Hi,

My Audi A2 1.4 TDI (y reg so early engine I guess) has developed a fault whereby it feels like it is firing on only 2 cylinders. I was about 200 miles from home when it happened and it got no worse as I drove home. There is no rattle like it is the bottom end or something like that and I believe it may have started when I was very low on diesel. Therefore I am guessing it is an injector problem.
Can anyone give me any ideas as to firstly how feasible it is for me to remove the injectors on a diesel car (have done it on a petrol car numerous times) assuming that is the problem, and secondly any ideas for repair/cleaning, or am I better off getting a new one (if I can figure out which one is at fault).

If anyone thinks it is anything else then pls let me know. Symptoms are that it feels like it is firing on 2 cyls and the turbo spools up suitably later to corroborate that

Cheers
sid

Last edited:
When you say it feels like it's missing a cylinder, how do you describe that symptom? Is it running roughly? Making any wierd noises or vibrations? If it's just a lack of performance it could be any manner of things, for example fuel filter, fuel pump, boost leak, injector fault, dodgy tank of diesel even... Have you got an opportunity to get the engine diagnostics scanned/ VAGCOM, see if it's logged any fault codes?

Hi Sid
Its always wise to have a diagnostic scan done first as there could be many reasons for the low power. Failed engine management sensor, aftercooler core or pipework leaks etc are some examples. If its not just low power and definitely running on 2 cylinders then the injector wiring harness could be faulty (a known problem but not too common)
If it turns out to be an injector, they are not too easy to change. Unlike most petrol engines they are an extremely tight fit and a slide hammer with a special adaptor which engages in a slot in the injector body is required. The injectors also cost a few hundred pounds each.

Cheers Spike

When you say it feels like it's missing a cylinder, how do you describe that symptom? Is it running roughly? Making any wierd noises or vibrations? If it's just a lack of performance it could be any manner of things, for example fuel filter, fuel pump, boost leak, injector fault, dodgy tank of diesel even... Have you got an opportunity to get the engine diagnostics scanned/ VAGCOM, see if it's logged any fault codes?

to me before you go ripping injectors out i would have put what Dan b has posted, go down them roads first

Chers Phil

Hi

Thanks for the ideas I know you all love your diagnostic tool, but I don't have one! Anyway result of an old fashioned diagnostic test showed there was no compression on one cylinder and on further investigation the injector has broken to pieces.
:mad:

Don't really understand how that has happened but have a replacement on order (Not from Audi who wanted over £450 for one!!). thought about a 2nd hand one but decided I would prefer to go new

Ouch - glad you got a diagnosis, sorry to hear the cause, hope you can solve it swiftly and not too expensively!

Back