Drivers door sensor

TCareless

Hi,
My petrol cap won't unlock from the button inside the door (am using the lever in the boot at the mo). I've worked out that the car isn't recognising that the drivers door is open, dash shows other doors are open so it definitely just the drivers door. What do I do first to fix this? Fuse? Sensor?
Thanks in advance for any advise.

Door open microswitch is not working. The switch itself may be damaged, gunged up or the plastic on the cam that operates it flaking off. As most of these require full access to the drivers door lock you are better just replacing the drivers door lock assembly. You will need the part number from the installed one to find a replacement as there have been issues with early cars not working with later locks.
Not a quick or easy job especially if you have never worked inside the doors before. The inner door card and metal shield have to come off, the exterior handle disconnected, electrics disconnected and the upper door frame with the glass removed all just to get access to the lock.

You could try flushing out the area under the door latch pawl with a big can of WD40 to see if it is just gunk that has stopped the microswitch from operating, sometimes that is the problem but not always. At least you can do this without taking anything apart.

Back