Drivers doorlock jammed/blocked

MichaelDeichmann

I "played" with the drivers doors lock by "closing" the locking mechanism while the door was open using a screwdriver. When I turned the key, it opened just fine. Same applied if I "opened" the door with the internal handle.

So far so good! Then I locked the door lock mechanism again using the screwdriver and closed the door and since I have not been able to open the door. Even if I open it with the key or use the internal handle, where the first movement unlock and the next shoukd open the door.

But nothing happens!

It's virtually imposible to see what happens with the lock in situ, so I went to a scrapyeard and bought a spare door lock and I managed to replicate the situation, where the door mechanism is in closed position (position 2), and nether the lever to the external handle or the inter handle release the mechanism.

i have tried various kombinations of moving the various levers, but it stays locked/closed.

i think it is a mechanical problem within the lock, since I did operate the various components in an unusual/unexpected way, which may have left some internals in a bad position.

As I cant take the lock out of a closed door, I need to find "something" I can do to release that lock.Alternative I grap a sledgehammer and smashed the door and put in a replacement door, but of obvious reason I want to avoid that route. :)

Any hints welcomed!

Evening Michael,

If I’m reading this right, you used a screwdriver to act as the door locking mechanism hitting the striker so that the door locking mechanism appears to be closed then actually closed the door whilst the hook was dropped down in the closed position.

Should I be correct in my assumption then you have probably damaged the door lock itself as it was already in the closed position. It’s hard to understand what has happened as it shouldn’t have closed due to the hook being in the dropped down/closed position.

I can only assume that you closed it hard enough for it to look like it’s closed but as the hook had already dropped down from the screwdriver action into the door closed position, the locking mechanism is damaged.

I have no idea on how to open the door unfortunately as I think you’ve caused serious damage to the lock mechanism. If I was in the same situation I would be pushing very hard from the inside but only if my understanding of your situation is correct.

Please do let us know if I’m correct in my assumption from what you typed.

Kind regards,

Tom

Reactions: Ami
I also fail to understand how a lock that is in the closed position will allow the door to physically close.

Second question what were you trying to achieve?

Why even mess with something if you do not understand what you are doing.

With Tom in the guess that the door has not locked but somehow jammed up against the door frame.

Best thing to do is sit in the passenger seat and close the door. Place you back against the passenger door and your feet against the rear of the drivers door and push with your legs. If that does not work kick with your legs while someone on the outside tries to also open the door.

Be aware more damage may occur to the door or interior trim.

Actually it is probably a year ago I did it, but now I need to fix it since it's going to MOT.

But regardless - I have this extra lock where I have obtained the same situation.

At closer thought, here is what I did, also when I reconstructed the situation in my spare lock:

I opened the door,
Then I locked the door with the key
And then I closed the door - expecting it to unlock as that I have seeen other cars do, but the A2 stayed locked, but now the key nor the inner handle unlocks the door.

Have you not got keyfob ?
have you tried to put key in ignition & turn if you can get in via passenger door

I am going to my work shop in the morning, I will have a play on my breaker to see any possibilities, I could post you a drivers door handle with a key, only issue is your car is probably Left Hand Drive,

Go inside put your feet up. Look at this challenge tomorrow with a rested mind.

Good Evening Michael,

Something to consider, it is only a suggestion by a member that will only cause minor non-cosmetic damage rather than resorting to savage means. It is only the hindsight musing of a member in a similar situation, I have little knowledge of door locks and cannot offer an opinion on viability but it would be good to hear opinion from others.

":.:............. I discovered (after i had fixed it all and by playing with the mangled bits) that by undoing a single screw you can remove the locking function from the lock mechanism. I'm 99% certain removing this screw will let you open the door without additional hacking about, but you need to drill a small hole in the inner door frame to do it.

The attatched photos show the lock with the red bit attach (lock works) and unattached (no locking). I think this is deffo worth a try, but you'll have to work out where to drill the hole to remove the screw. The screw you need is in the middle of the steel plate over the red bit.

Hope this helps,
Chris
20180827_112530.jpeg

20180827_112636.jpeg

"

Personally I would drill a larger hole, say 20mm so you can see inside and seal it afterwards with a blind 20mm grommet.

You may wish to read the rest of the thread from which the above is extracted.

Andy

Hi,
The self study guide has diagrams of the door lock and internal electrical microswitch mechanism.
Self Study Guide 240
From this thread.
It gives background detail on how the mechanism was designed .
1000000108.jpg

1000000107.jpg

Back