Early wiper arm plastic cover

RantA2

Finland
Hello,

I’m asking for help for a small annoyance of mine. I restored my year 2000 A2’s wiper arm last summer by drilling and replacing the rivets at the end of the arms with new bigger rivets.

My car came without the plastic covering the rivets. I have tried to source the cover without success and I could need some help.

The best pictures I have found were somewhere on this site with part numbers 80005337 (top) and 80005357 (bottom). I’m looking for proper (as close to orthopedic as possible) pictures of both parts from above, from both sides and from below with dimensions (W/H/D) so I could model them myself in modeling software.

I would be really greatful with the pictures and can offer the STL-file here in return. Of course if someone has LHD version of the cover as extra and is willing to send it to Finland let me know 😅

Last edited:
Sorry unable to provide what you need. Why not try to find a breaker near you and obtain from that - if fitted. You could then take all the dimensions from that.
Germany may be a better choice for source parts.

Thanks, I have looked for it from breakers here in Finland and neighbouring countries and searched internet from EU breakers and resellers. It’s either out of stock or fitted in neglected wiper arms selling stupidly expensive given that a new arm costs about 100€.

I bet I could find one somewhere in Germany with even more searching but as it’s only a small plastic cover, I could model and print it with less effort as I’m modeling stuff daily anyway.

I’m asking for help because this seemed like the most practical solution. If someone knows better where to find one without having to buy a new wiper arm, I listen to suggestions.

Thanks, I have looked for it from breakers here in Finland and neighbouring countries and searched internet from EU breakers and resellers. It’s either out of stock or fitted in neglected wiper arms selling stupidly expensive given that a new arm costs about 100€.

I bet I could find one somewhere in Germany with even more searching but as it’s only a small plastic cover, I could model and print it with less effort as I’m modeling stuff daily anyway.

I’m asking for help because this seemed like the most practical solution. If someone knows better where to find one without having to buy a new wiper arm, I listen to suggestions.
Audi tradition possibly?

Hello,

I’m asking for help for a small annoyance of mine. I restored my year 2000 A2’s wiper arm last summer by drilling and replacing the rivets at the end of the arms with new bigger rivets.

My car came without the plastic covering the rivets. I have tried to source the cover without success and I could need some help.

The best pictures I have found were somewhere on this site with part numbers 80005337 (top) and 80005357 (bottom). I’m looking for proper (as close to orthopedic as possible) pictures of both parts from above, from both sides and from below with dimensions (W/H/D) so I could model them myself in modeling software.

I would be really greatful with the pictures and can offer the STL-file here in return. Of course if someone has LHD version of the cover as extra and is willing to send it to Finland let me know 😅
I think dapronman prints aero covers? Is this possibly the same part.

Thanks, Audi Tradition has only the RHD version of the newer arm currently. I refurbished my older style arm already and it’s like a new so I prefer not to buy a new arm just for this.

I have asked Depronman last year and as I understood he has his own printed covers for the newer arm and enough RHD covers for older arms so he has no intention to offer printed older covers anytime soon.

I think the cover isn’t its own part as the part number hints and it has originally only come as a part of the wiper arm, which makes finding one separately harder. I have made my research and that’s why I came to the conlusion that I should just make my own. Only thing I need to do that are the proper pictures.

Is this the bit you mean?

8BE52449-FD4D-47E3-A58D-2C320A3C2A34.jpeg

Yes, that. Pictures from both top and bottom parts would be perfect from either LHD or RHD as they seem to be exact mirrors from each other.

I don’t know if these will help then

Top Half

7B02CD1F-17C2-4D10-AB1F-89BA741ADEE3.jpegAFAC2423-FE2A-4CBF-BACC-9479B48E6CE1.jpeg

Bottom Half

602E69C6-9BF7-413C-8C5F-29E0B3095251.jpeg9135CD12-0F41-4FB5-B7B4-E41283C4D3AB.jpegED89F39D-8326-48BF-B8E4-40FCB4C4EF8D.jpegD345B432-B87D-43D6-B74F-DEDCB258F829.jpeg3F18A43C-D200-4119-90C0-C59141FDA307.jpeg

I sadly don’t have a vernier gauge to take accurate measurements but I’ll see if I can get some rough ones with a ruler. Maybe there’s an app that can do that, I’ll have a look

Thank you! These help a lot and I think I can work with them. Rough dimensions are fine, the scale is what I’m after. The pictures are good enough so at least one side lenght helps me to scale it correctly.

Thank you! These help a lot and I think I can work with them. Rough dimensions are fine, the scale is what I’m after. The pictures are good enough so at least one side lenght helps me to scale it correctly.
Quite a complex shape as it turns out, no parallel sides, but here are some approximate measurements

5035B926-87DD-48FC-8D91-DA776F806F04.jpeg
These are for the top part. The height is ~5mm but then there is a lip that is a further ~3mm

The bottom piece is 20mm at its deepest and 5mm at the lowest depth.

Hope this makes sense. Get in touch if you need any more ham fisted measuring or photos

best of luck

J

Thank you very much! These are really helpful. I already modeled a rough model yesterday, these help me to modify it to correct proportions.

Cool, that's the kind of workshop activity what I'm really into. High quality scan would be ideal, but I'm okay with similar enough model as long as it looks quite the same and fits in place covering the joint in the arm.

I got the wiper arm cover modeled and the first rough prints are in place. The parts fit nicely and are looking quite right. The first test was printed with PLA filament, but the final one will be printed with ASA and probably sanded and painted to match the arm. I uploaded the STL-files to Thingiverse, you can find both RHD and LHD parts ready for printing. I would recommend ASA or ABS filament and it should be printed with 0.4mm or smaller nozzle.

Huge thanks to birtyA2 for providing the pictures and dimensions, I'm really thankful for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_1020.jpg
    IMG_1020.jpg
    349.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1019.jpg
    IMG_1019.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 78
I got the wiper arm cover modeled and the first rough prints are in place. The parts fit nicely and are looking quite right. The first test was printed with PLA filament, but the final one will be printed with ASA and probably sanded and painted to match the arm. I uploaded the STL-files to Thingiverse, you can find both RHD and LHD parts ready for printing. I would recommend ASA or ABS filament and it should be printed with 0.4mm or smaller nozzle.

Huge thanks to birtyA2 for providing the pictures and dimensions, I'm really thankful for the help.
Evening,

As Edd @CrispyEdd says above, well done on persevering to conclusion; looks brilliant. The linked Thingiverse website is brilliant. Already some Audi A2 files available for home printing. Notice another idea for armrest installation along with some other useful items. Great share, thank you.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thank you, it will look much better when I get my hands on ASA filament, find the ideal setup and finish it properly.

I’m glad if I could help and happy if I brought Thingiverse to wider awareness. There are lots of other 3D printing libraries but I think Thingiverse has the best variety of useful models. The situation for A2 parts could be better though.

I think it’s important to share the modeled files for rarer parts, especially as more original A2 parts are starting to be harder to find.

Thank you, it will look much better when I get my hands on ASA filament, find the ideal setup and finish it properly.

I’m glad if I could help and happy if I brought Thingiverse to wider awareness. There are lots of other 3D printing libraries but I think Thingiverse has the best variety of useful models. The situation for A2 parts could be better though.

I think it’s important to share the modeled files for rarer parts, especially as more original A2 parts are starting to be harder to find.
Excellent, I think we can call that a sucess!

Back