Emissions Control System Warning Light?

S

spkirby

Hi, I have a A2 Tdi 90 that I havent used for a couple of months due to running a company car recently. Today I took the A2 for a spin and while on a dual carriageway I noticed it wasnt accelerating and was pretty much maxed out at 55-60mph. The emmissions control system light came on. Only half a mile earlier it seemed to pull well off of a roundabout, although did seem a little smokey but this could have been because it was cold...

I then stopped the car, restarted and the car seemed to drive absolutely fine but the light was still on. Later in the day I noticed the light was off and thought that was that but then it reappeared during a final test run...

Any ideas? To reiterate it was stored outside and not used for 2 months, this may be a factor.

Also of note was some condensation inside the cabin (inside of windows), I guess it depends where the engine management system is located but maybe this is a cause?

Any suggestions greatfully received.

Simon

Hi Simon, welcome to the A2oc
The only sure way to find the cause of the problem is to do a diagnostic scan. If you let us know which part of the country you are from, there may be a local club member who could help.
A wild guess would be the variable geometry mechanism in the turbo sticking. This can affect the turbo boost pressure, causing the engine to go into 'limp home' mode with much reduced power. See link for more info on VG turbos
http://www.technologie-entwicklung.de/Gasturbines/VNT15-Turbo/vnt15-turbo.html

Cheers Spike

Back