Engine cut out

M

mccomb1

HI everyone. First time I have posted a website so please be patient. I Think I am in the right section to post this. I hope so anyway!!

I recently purchased a 2002 A2 1.4 petrol with only 20000miles on the clock.

I have been having a problem where for no apparent reason the engine cut outs. I only purchased the car on Wednesday and took it back to the garage straight away where it was plugged into the computer and no fault was found. This happens normally at slower speeds and today it happened when I changed from 4th to 5th gear doing about 45mph.

This same problem has happened again today.

The autoexpress website says there is a problem with this and you have to remove the key and lock the doors?? This didn't make much sense to me.

Thought I would ask for some expert advice before contacting the garage again.

Many Thanks

Kevin McComb

mccomb1 said:
The autoexpress website says there is a problem with this and you have to remove the key and lock the doors?? This didn't make much sense to me.
Hello Kevin and welcome.

Cutting out between 4th and 5th at that speed is potentially a lethal fault and certainly very dangerous indeed.

I don't know of the Autoexpress comments, but I'd get back to the garage and make them rectify the fault. If they won't, reject the car.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks for the prompt response Mike, its really appreciated. My brother and I had the car out tonight and it done it a further 3 times. Always different. It can be at slow speeds during a gear change or just when you accelerate and most recently just when you are drawing the car to a standstill at a junction it just died. It's a weird one!! My previous car was a VW Beetle which I had a bit of a nightmare with so finger crossed this gets rectified. :)

I contacted the garage this evening. They are 50 miles from where i stay so they are going to arrange a local garage for me to take the car in the morning so I will let you know.

Your right when you say it could be dangerous one.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Ta very much

Kevin

Back