Engine failure

esson

Hello guys, maybe you know what this means.. Sometimes, when the engine is on, but the car is not in gear (like when I am waiting at a red light) the engine just dies, it goes to 0rpm and dies. I have to start it again. This also happens when I am driving with the clutch down. What could this mean? I am really sad about this.. Thanks.

Ehm.. Don't really know, I just bought it like 2 months ago, it does say "SERVICE!" on the computer when I start it up, but I thought that was just it's thing of measuring revisions. Do I need to take it to the service?

Also, how can I get rid of the darn "EPC" and the yellow pipe symbol from the dashboard? They are pissing me off.

I think you would be best having car scanned for problems and looking at the log book to see if it has had a service if not booking in for one

Ehm.. Don't really know, I just bought it like 2 months ago, it does say "SERVICE!" on the computer when I start it up, but I thought that was just it's thing of measuring revisions. Do I need to take it to the service?

Did your car come with a service book or service receipts?

If there is no record of when the last service was, PLEASE, PLEASE GET YOUR CAR SERVICED! Failing to get your oil and oil filter changed will result in a seized engine - very expensive. Your car could already be showing the signs of nearing seizure!

You would be bonkers if you continue to ignore the service indicator. Give your car some TLC!

John.

I just changed the oil 1 week ago, it's not that, the car does give me the "OK!" after saying "SERVICE!". Anyway, I'm confused, I'll probably take it to the service. Thanks.

Hi Esson,

I see from your other posts that you are not based in the UK.

In the UK owners manual, the procedure for resetting the service indicator is on page 84.

If you need the instructions, please post here.

What type of engine has your A2? If it is a diesel, did you change the fuel filter?

John.

hey guys ive got this exact same problem

Engine faliure when the clutch is down (only seem to happen on the same roundabout every morning)

got an engine management light on

but the read out says 'ok' everyday after it says service (but the car was only serviced 8,000 miles ago i thought the service schedule on these cars was like every 15,000 miles or something)

i really hope its not something too expensive :eek: :(

hey guys ive got this exact same problem

Engine faliure when the clutch is down (only seem to happen on the same roundabout every morning)

got an engine management light on

but the read out says 'ok' everyday after it says service (but the car was only serviced 8,000 miles ago i thought the service schedule on these cars was like every 15,000 miles or something)

i really hope its not something too expensive :eek: :(

Sounds like we're in the same boat ReVo. I hope it's something small too. Good luck!

Hi Esson,

I see from your other posts that you are not based in the UK.

In the UK owners manual, the procedure for resetting the service indicator is on page 84.

If you need the instructions, please post here.

What type of engine has your A2? If it is a diesel, did you change the fuel filter?

John.

Could you please post the instructions to resetting the service indicator? Thanks :)

How to reset the service indicator.

BUTTON 1 is the same button that sets the clock / date beside rev counter.
BUTTON 2 is the same button that resets the trip recorder beside speedometer.

PROCEDURE

1. Switch off ignition.

2. Press button 2 and hold while switching on the ignition. The display should now read SERVICE!

3. Press and hold button 1 until the word SERVICE! is cleared from the display.

Notes
Do not clear the service indicator in between services - otherwise the display will be incorrect.

The information in the service indicator remains intact if the battery is disconnected.

John.

Thanks, did that today.
About this engine problem, I paid a visit to the service today, they said it's something about air admission, and a vacuum sensor or something, they told me it's nothing to worry about, I have an appointment next week to fix it. Thanks guys!

Problem solved. Engine is now running really smooth, doesn't die anymore. Runs perfect.

1. Replaced a Magnetti-Marelli air pressure intake sensor, T-PRT04, picture attached.
16809.jpg

2. Some adjustments to the acceleration control unit.

I changed the petrol filter as well, it was never changed before.
The sensor costs about 50 pounds, and the petrol filter costs 10 pounds. I got off cheap.
Hope this post update helps. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
The car runs fine now, absolutely no problem! But the f**king yellow pipe symbol thing keeps coming back! I've had enough of that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's getting annoying...... Is there any way to reset that darned thing except VAGCOM ? I'm getting sick of paying 10 pounds to get it reset..... Really, this is getting on my nerves....

Hi I bought a reset thing from ebay for 35 pounds clears it vag scanner I think This will save you in the long run I do all my own serviceing and mechanics
l

Back