Engine & Gearbox weights and rambling thoughts

Richard_3L

United-Kingdom
Hi,
Was pleasantly surprised how balanced my 1.4 aua petrol felt, which prompted me to look at weight balance front-rear, which turned out pretty much 50:50 (sorry can't remember exact now). Also looked at 1.6fsi, 1.4 diesel 90 and 75 and all much heavier on the nose (can't remember #s as just in general browsing a while back).

Fast forward to now and I've managed to find weights of petrol 1.4 aua, diesel 1.4 BHC and 1.2 ANY and gearboxes.

1.4 petrol: AUA engine 90kg, gearbox 02t mq200 35kg (total 125kg)
1.4 diesel: BHC engine 130kg, gearbox 02j 40kg (total 170kg)
1.2 diesel: ANY engine 100kg, gearbox 02j lightened but then robotics added 39kg (total 139kg)

Having also got a 1.2 ANY (61bhp) which is 855kg with power steering and aircon- 825kg without- it got me thinking the art of the possible. So I also looked at other VW engines and boxes.

VW UP! Has a 12v petrol 1.0 (75bhp) which is 71kg and the gearbox 26kg! (MQ100), total 97kg! So 42kg lighter than ANY. On manual rack sans aircon ANY that makes it 783kg!

Now my 1.4 petrol AUA sans OSS is 895kg, and the ANY suspension 80kg lighter as all aluminium... wouldn't it be a great project (Project FLyweight?) To take non OSS AUA, with manual rack, ANY suspension (shocks changed), VW UP engine and gearbox... sub 780kg and 75bhp at my school maths... stiff & ultra light that would be great to drive!

Last edited:
Hi,
Was pleasantly surprised how balanced my 1.4 aua petrol felt, which prompted me to look at weight balance front-rear, which turned out pretty much 50:50 (sorry can't remember exact now). Also looked at 1.6fsi, 1.4 diesel 90 and 75 and all much heavier on the nose (can't remember #s as just in general browsing a while back).

Fast forward to now and I've managed to find weights of petrol 1.4 aua, diesel 1.4 BHC and 1.2 ANY and gearboxes.

1.2 diesel: ANY engine 100kg, gearbox 02j lightened but then robotics added 39kg (total 139kg)

Having also got a 1.2 ANY (61bhp) which is 855kg with power steering and aircon- 825kg without- it got me thinking the art of the possible. So I also looked at other VW engines and boxes.

VW UP! Has a 12v petrol 1.0 (75bhp) which is 71kg and the gearbox 26kg! (MQ100), total 97kg! So 42kg lighter than ANY. On manual rack sans aircon ANY that makes it 783kg!

Now my 1.4 petrol AUA sans OSS is 895kg, and the ANY suspension 80kg lighter as all aluminium... wouldn't it be a great project (Project FLyweight?) To take non OSS AUA, with manual rack, ANY suspension (shocks changed), VW UP engine and gearbox... sub 780kg and 75bhp at my school maths... stiff & ultra light that would be great to drive!
Hi Richard,
I was curious if the power steering was really necessary on my A2 (Tdi 75 ) as I remember my old Mk2 Golf Gti (< 1000kg) was ok with just a manual rack and had a much better steering feel.

However meddling with the steering system is not to be recommended...but is there a manual rack available that bolts straight in ?
Regards,
Raymie

Hi,

As a fantasy car build transplanting the peppy 3cyl Up engine (Gti ?) into the A2 aluminium body does seem to be an attractive combination.

Obviously it would be more pragmatic to just go buy an Up and save yourself the effort of weeks in the workshop !

Still there is something to be said for the "Built not bought" adage and there are worse projects that could take up our precious time in the cave😜 ....

Hi Richard,
I was curious if the power steering was really necessary on my A2 (Tdi 75 ) as I remember my old Mk2 Golf Gti (< 1000kg) was ok with just a manual rack and had a much better steering feel.

However meddling with the steering system is not to be recommended...but is there a manual rack available that bolts straight in ?
Regards,
Raymie
Hi Raymie,

My A2 1.2tdi came in two flavours. One with power steering and aircon, the other without both. Mechanically I'm not sure of the steering rack difference, but I'd imagine it could be swapped out on the 1.2 in theory.

I wouldn't say it would actually needs ps being only 855/825kg and with 145 width tires!

As to whether the same manual steering rack could be fitted to another A2 with ease I'm not sure, but would love to see someone try! Would give a nice weight saving :😀

Back