Engine mount 2005 1,4TDI

Bluesim

Hi! I have a 2005 1,4TDI with 260000 km. Recently it has developed a knocking/rattling sound when swinging around corners at low revs (1800 or lower). I changed the whole front suspension and running gear including the (outer) CV joints last summer so am pretty sure it is not related to the final drive. I suspected a worn upper right-hand engine mount so I checked for play there and was able to easily rock the engine back and forth with several mm visible movement at the mount. Also, the lower part of the support arm going to the mount is almost touching the metal part of the mount, so it seems this might be the suspect. The problem is, I can't find this part (OPTIMAL F8-6947, see pic below) available anywhere. The online stores have pics of the part but it is out of stock everywhere I have tried so far. What is the way to solve this ? Can the old mount be refurbished with a new rubber insert that is common to e.g. a Polo ? Can a Polo mount, which looks quite similar apart from the base, be modified to fit the A2 somehow ?
1645209879622.png

If its an atl engine then I'm afraid it's very uncommon as it's unique. I think @CreweAudi has one left although don't expect much change from £400 last time I checked in for one. I gave up looking myself but left a plea with the breakers on here and eventually one turned up. Took about 10 months and it's the only one I've seen. If you're absolutely sure it's that mount and not dog bone gearbox or the other side mount then I say good luck! This one been on ebay a year and refused my offer but represents decent value I guess?

Thanks! It is the BHC engine. I thought about second-hand parts, but was not sure how it would be with a second hand wear-item. I mean, won't a second-hand part of that age be just as worn-out ? (I know beggars can't be choosers, haha!)

8Z0199212J is fitted to both the ATL and BHC engines.

78Z0 199 851 AAsupportlower rear1

108Z0 199 212 Jengine mountingright upper1

178Z0 199 543 Abonded rubber bushleft1

1645218556245.png

Check the other mounts, as they might be the main problem...not this mount.

CrispyEdd said on this previous thread that 90% of the rocking on his car was caused by a dogbone mount.

"DogBone mount from polo solved 90% of rocking, a new side top mount now sourced via this forum and A2Steve."

Is the dogbone mount labelled number 7 in the above diagram?

Last edited:
It looks like this dogbone with OEM part number 6Q0199851AR from the Polo MK4 will fit. Available new for about £30 on ebay.

The AMF engine was the first Audi A2 1.4TDI 75HP engine. The BAY engine wasn't used on the Audi A2 but is also a 1.4TDI 75HP engine.

(22)6Q0 199 851 ARsupportrear1manual gearbox
BAY,AMF

1645222091495.png

6Q0199851AR

Last edited:
Here's a previous thread that discusses the dog bone mount.

CreweAudi confirms in post #36 that the 6Q0199851AR dog bone mount from the Polo MK4 is ideal for the Audi A2 1.4TDI with any engine code.

A2Steve has a photo that I've copied below that shows the difference between a 1.6FSI and 1.4TDI dog bone mount. There are two versions, 8Z0199851R and 8Z0199851S, of the 1.6FSI dog bone mount. I don't know which one is shown in the photo, but I expect they are almost identical and interchangeable. The important thing to note between the 1.6FSI and 1.4TDI dog bone mounts is the thickness/strength.
With the turbo diesel engine having a lot more torque than the non-turbo petrol, it needs to be a lot thicker/stronger. But the very useful information that A2Steve provides from this photo, is that they are the same dimensions apart from the thickness/strength issue.

The 1.6FSI petrol engine has engine code BAD. The 1.4 petrol engines have engine codes AUA and BBY.
(7)8Z0 199 851 Rsupport
F >> 8Z-3-034 000
lower rear1BAD
2004.02 - 2004.03
(7)8Z0 199 851 Ssupport
F 8Z-3-034 001>>
lower rear1BAD,AUA,BBY
2004.03 - 2008.05

1645225289842.png

1645224809992.png

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks for the extra info guys! So am I right in thinking that it would be worth changing out the dog-bone mount first as that might have a greater impact ? I did take that thing out last year and had a look at it. Couldn't see any actual damage/cracks in the rubber, but can it go bad without any obvious signs ?

Hi! I have a 2005 1,4TDI with 260000 km. Recently it has developed a knocking/rattling sound when swinging around corners at low revs (1800 or lower). I changed the whole front suspension and running gear including the (outer) CV joints last summer so am pretty sure it is not related to the final drive.
Before moving your focus from the final drive, are you aware that sounds similar to those from a defect outer CV joint can actually be caused by tiny movements in the spline connection CV joint-hub.
Could be the case if you did not loctite per Audis instructions.
If you try and retighten the big CV nut, does the sound disappear?

Hi. Now that is a good point. I did Loctite the splines, but I recall having to temporarily pull them out again at some point shortly afterwards (the loctite was not set hard at that point). Not 100% I re-loctited them though. I checked the 12-point hub nut and that is tight.

Update: I changed the dog-bone mount after reading the advice here and found the original rubber bushing there had disintegrated so much that it just fell out of the casting. However, this still didn't solve the rattling problem, which I was certain was coming from the un-available upper right-hand engine mount. Had about given up when a failed MOT last week finally diagnosed the problem for me. It turned out the knocking noise that I thought was coming from the upper engine mount was actually a worn lower ball joint that had developed play. I had ruled this out as the source as I had changed both lower ball joints just two years ago and didn't feel any obvious play, but maybe didn't try hard enough :). However, I think I know why it failed prematurely. When installing the ball joint I remember placing the jack under it in order to push the cone up into the hole in the hub to prevent it rotating while tightening the nut. My guess now is that the jack pressed too hard on the back of the joint and deformed the cup somehow. The upper RH motor mount still feels very loose though and now I am wondering if it would be possible to pour in some kind of flexible rubber to shore-up the bushing in there which must be in pretty bad shape if the dog-bone mount is anything to go by.

If you still need the RH motormount try these: audi-zentrum-goettingen.de

Purchased 8Z0199212K myself from these; about €200. They ship to Norway at least

Was happens to the mount is that it collapses by time. The new one sits about 10mm higher than a collapsed one.

If you still need the RH motormount try these: audi-zentrum-goettingen.de

Purchased 8Z0199212K myself from these; about €200. They ship to Norway at least

Was happens to the mount is that it collapses by time. The new one sits about 10mm higher than a collapsed one.

8Z0199212J is listed for the 1.4TDI ATL and 1.4TDI BHC engines. 8Z0199212K is listed for the 1.2TDI ANY engine.

8Z0199212J ATL BHC
108Z0199212Jengine mountingright upper1ATL, BHC

8Z0199212K ANY
108Z0199212Kengine mounting
F 8Z-3-028 908>>*

right upper

ANY

8Z0199212J is listed for the 1.4TDI ATL and 1.4TDI BHC engines. 8Z0199212K is listed for the 1.2TDI ANY engine.

8Z0199212J ATL BHC
108Z0199212Jengine mountingright upper1ATL, BHC

8Z0199212K ANY
108Z0199212Kengine mounting
F 8Z-3-028 908>>*

right upper

ANY

There seems little point you linking to the LLL parts website. It used to be that they carried their own stock of parts, but no longer. What happens is that you order (and pay for) an item, then they put in an order for the part to VAG. Eventually, you get told that the part is no longer available, and finally you get refunded.

You might as well speak to your local Audi dealer.

There seems little point you linking to the LLL parts website. It used to be that they carried their own stock of parts, but no longer. What happens is that you order (and pay for) an item, then they put in an order for the part to VAG. Eventually, you get told that the part is no longer available, and finally you get refunded.

You might as well speak to your local Audi dealer.

I only use the LLL website for the parts diagrams and finding OEM part numbers. I've never ordered parts from LLL and have no plans to do so.

Last edited:
Although I don't have an A2 anymore (do have a Toyota iQ now..... Don't ask, it's a raincoat during the day's I do not like to bike to work (but secretly I love the iQ)), I got a question about this (Polo) motor mount R/H side. If I fancied to alter it....... Sure, I gave it a go!

Piccie's of difference between the original and Polo and the welded on bit.
IMG_20220918_145457.jpg

IMG_20220918_145539.jpg

IMG_20220925_142639.jpg

IMG_20220925_171909.jpg

The welding is TIG welding, and I was a little bit scared because I didn't want to heat up the material too much (melt the rubber to be precise...). In the end the attaching point is sturdy enough (I hope..... ;)), but a road test will tell.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Back