Fitting a GPS Tracker.

PlasticMac

United-Kingdom
Having read about the theft of an A2OC Members car recently, I decided to fit a tracker to The FSI.
I bought one of these:
GPS Tracker 4G TK905, Real-time GPS Tracker, No need Subscription https://amzn.eu/d/cBxmnwe
It arrived yesterday, and it's now working. All it requires is a registered SIM card.
Edit: It takes a Standard SIM, not the more common Nano. A SIM card adaptor, is included in the pack.
At it's simplest, you send it a text, and it sends you a Google Maps link to it's position. Click on the link, (you'll need Google Maps on your phone, of course), and Bob's your Mothers Brother.
There is also an app, which gives you access to the tracker, as a web page, where all manner of clever stuff is available, route history, speed, Geo fencing etc. There is no subscription, but the app uses the Chinese maker's server, which could disappear of course. Amazon reviews are good, and they seem to have been around a while. If that happened, you'd still have the text for Google Maps link, so it's never, (unless it packs up), going to go N/A.
Battery life is excellent, and the tracker itself looks robust. It has a strong magnet to mount it on the car body, (but this feature may have limited appeal to us A2 Owners).
Cost was £62.69.
Mac.

There's an informative YouTube here:

Last edited:
I used a GiffGaff PAYG SIM that had been used in a phone. It was plug and play. No setup, (APN etc), required.
Plugged SIM in, tracker led shows SIM present, sent Google Maps link text, received the link. Registered on the "WINNES GPS" app, as the YouTube vid, and that was ii.
Amazon recommend Giffgaff, O2, Vodafone, & Tesco networks, so their APNs are probably held by the tracker. Other networks may need manual APN inputs.
Mac.

I that never lock my car.. with the immobiliser disabled.. and insured without theft coverage hehe..

Who would steal an A2 I wonder

Morning Mac,

Good call which is something I may also consider in the coming days. I know it’ll not stop the act but would be nice to be able to quickly locate the fleet should something unscrupulous were to happen.

Kind regards,

Tom

Received and fitted today my Vigitech 2G tracker.

Quite happy with it so far. The purchase price of about £22, and an annual subscription of about £40 (I will move to 3 years £119 next year), makes it quite reasonable I think.

Tracker arrived via RM a few days after ordering.

It is small and light (sorry, forgot to put a scale in the photo, but you can see the size from the photo showing the mounting).

It is designed to be 'stuck' onto the actual battery, under the bonnet, so is designed to work from within the car.
However, I live in a very poor coverage area, and want it to work in all areas, so I wanted to mount it with as much coverage as possible, and also as hidden as possible to at least try and stop it being discarded (it will work for a while, even if the disconnected from the main battery).

Thus, I mounted it in the rear bumper, so it only has a plastic cover to reduce the signal. I just had to remove the top cover, and feed the wiring. Much easier than taking the bumper off, especially at this time of year......

I already had a conduit into the PDC area of the rear bumper, so could easily put the cables in. This is the thin ribbed conduit as shown in the battery photo. Not sure what it is for, but mine was empty and did not look it had ever been used. Obviously the PDC cabling has it's own grommet.

This made for a neat and tidy connection directly to the battery. I initially just had the positive wire, but could not find a decent earth (as always in the A2!), so added the negative cable and connected both to the battery.

I think it will be okay mounted there moisture wise. It is quite sealed, and it will not get really wet that high up.

I have set up the geofencing etc, and it all works well. A lot of info is in the website, but I have not looked at the app yet. I might get one each for my kids cars, as it measures speed etc, and can show all the route history. I will then know where they are!!!!

Note, this is a 2G tracker, and all mobile companies are de-installing 2G and 3G, however 2G is not scheduled to have that start until 2030. A lot runs on 2G.
A 4G may be a better long term purchase.

I hope I never have to use it in anger, as that would mean some ***** has nicked my A2.........

I can certainly recommend it.

Matt

Attachments

• tracker1.jpeg
    tracker1.jpeg
    328.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Tracker3.jpeg
    Tracker3.jpeg
    309.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Tracker2.jpeg
    Tracker2.jpeg
    282.2 KB · Views: 55
Received and fitted today my Vigitech 2G tracker.

Quite happy with it so far. The purchase price of about £22, and an annual subscription of about £40 (I will move to 3 years £119 next year), makes it quite reasonable I think.

Tracker arrived via RM a few days after ordering.

It is small and light (sorry, forgot to put a scale in the photo, but you can see the size from the photo showing the mounting).

It is designed to be 'stuck' onto the actual battery, under the bonnet, so is designed to work from within the car.
However, I live in a very poor coverage area, and want it to work in all areas, so I wanted to mount it with as much coverage as possible, and also as hidden as possible to at least try and stop it being discarded (it will work for a while, even if the disconnected from the main battery).

Thus, I mounted it in the rear bumper, so it only has a plastic cover to reduce the signal. I just had to remove the top cover, and feed the wiring. Much easier than taking the bumper off, especially at this time of year......

I already had a conduit into the PDC area of the rear bumper, so could easily put the cables in. This is the thin ribbed conduit as shown in the battery photo. Not sure what it is for, but mine was empty and did not look it had ever been used. Obviously the PDC cabling has it's own grommet.

This made for a neat and tidy connection directly to the battery. I initially just had the positive wire, but could not find a decent earth (as always in the A2!), so added the negative cable and connected both to the battery.

I think it will be okay mounted there moisture wise. It is quite sealed, and it will not get really wet that high up.

I have set up the geofencing etc, and it all works well. A lot of info is in the website, but I have not looked at the app yet. I might get one each for my kids cars, as it measures speed etc, and can show all the route history. I will then know where they are!!!!

Note, this is a 2G tracker, and all mobile companies are de-installing 2G and 3G, however 2G is not scheduled to have that start until 2030. A lot runs on 2G.
A 4G may be a better long term purchase.

I hope I never have to use it in anger, as that would mean some ***** has nicked my A2.........

I can certainly recommend it.

Matt
Hi Matt ,
That corrugated tube is the vent line for the Hydrogen gas discharged when the battery is charged !!
Highly recommend that this is connected to the connector tube on the end of the battery there should be a point on both ends of the battery one is visible where the
platinum - - - is
Hopefully that helps
Keith.

I used a GiffGaff PAYG SIM that had been used in a phone. It was plug and play. No setup, (APN etc), required.
Plugged SIM in, tracker led shows SIM present, sent Google Maps link text, received the link. Registered on the "WINNES GPS" app, as the YouTube vid, and that was ii.
Amazon recommend Giffgaff, O2, Vodafone, & Tesco networks, so their APNs are probably held by the tracker. Other networks may need manual APN inputs.
Mac.
An update, it's a couple of months ago that I fitted the tracker. It's working fine. I've logged in quite a few times now, and all the data is there. I charged it up before I installed it, and it's still got around 60% battery capacity left.
Very happy and satisfied with the tracker and the App. The only sim data I use is from my own GiffGaff Goody Bag, for calling the tracker, well within the included data.
Mac.

Back