Fuel Temp Sensor Issue & Problematic Water Temp Gauge?

On my way home tonight I noted that my water temp gauge didn't reach the usual 90 degrees, instead, it barely budged from the 60 minimum.. only moving a few mm off it at one point. Given the outside temperature was 26 degrees and my drive home was 22 miles I was a little suspicious.

Upon getting home I have checked the water and performed a fault scan. Apart from the obligatory climate control positioning motor errors which I cleared, the engine has listed the below fault which will not clear no matter how hard I try!

Controller: 045 906 019 AT

Component: G000SG 1532

Coding: 10002

1 Faults Found:

17571 - Fuel Temp Sensor (G81): Open or Short to Plus

P1163 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

Readiness: N/A

Now, I wouldn't have thought this would effect the water temp gauge, however, given I'm unable to clear it, I think it's a little less intermittent than the ECU is letting on. Output tests verified that my dials are all working correctly ;)

Are these two instances connected, or just random coincidences?

Thanks,

Ian

Hi Ian
I suspect the two problems are not related.
When my temp gauge started to wander between 60 and 90C, VagCom did not detect any fault codes. After wasting money on a thermostat I changed the temp sender unit and that fixed the problem.

If you have not already checked, this is what RossTech say about the fuel temp sensor
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/17571/P1163/004451

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
Temp Sensor Location

hi sorry for the daft question, but my Temp guage is reading zero well 60.

i have the part but have looked under the bonnet, but cant find the location of the temp sensor.

i have the correct part (given number from Audi) but dont wish to pay there stealership rates

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

jOHN

Back