Gearbox oil change - bracket support?

Bri76

Sorry if it's been asked before, but I'm planning on changing the gearbox oil (1.4 TDI), and to get to the drain plug I have to move a bracket that is supporting the underside of gearbox. Do I need to use additional support while doing this, or is it still safe to work on while it's out of the way? I really don't fancy a gearbox dropping on my head or anything...
Also, if getting to the drain plug proves to be a pain, is it possible to pump the oil out via the fill plug?
Thanks in advance

You need to loosen/drop the dog mount bracket from memory undo the refill plug first, to make sure you can fill before undoing the drain plug.
once completely drained then fill with 1.9 liters of fluid.
Its straight forward, 30 minutes.

You need to loosen/drop the dog mount bracket from memory undo the refill plug first, to make sure you can fill before undoing the drain plug.
once completely drained then fill with 1.9 liters of fluid.
Its straight forward, 30 minutes.
Thanks. So swinging that bracket out of the way, the gearbox won't need any additional support?

Thank you very much, guys. I've got everything I need on order, and soon as it arrives I'll crack straight on with it (along with engine oil and filter change).

Seriously tempted to give the cam belt a go myself, but might go to a garage for that. It was changed at 75K, now at 145K, so maybe best to get it done soon...

Reactions: Ami
Always remember to slacken the fill bung before draining just incase you can't undo it after draining and draining may well be aided by then removing the full bung whilst it's draining as this prevents a vacuum same principle when doing engine oil as well remove the cap.
GL-4 oil is what you need
Might be worth changing the dog mount too but you can always do at a later date

You could chisel it potentially?

Not sure that would be ideal as its for the larger hole I think. The fill plug doesn't need to be that tight, some manufacturers use a rubber fill bung

You could chisel it potentially?

Not sure that would be ideal as its for the larger hole I think. The fill plug doesn't need to be that tight, some manufacturers use a rubber fill bung
I'll give the chisel a try. It's not imperative that it needs doing right away, but it is something I'd like done in the near future. I'll have to source the correct replacement plug first.
Cheers

I'll give the chisel a try. It's not imperative that it needs doing right away, but it is something I'd like done in the near future. I'll have to source the correct replacement plug first.
Cheers
Sure I have a spare you can foc just the postage unless you fancy a trip to Castleford, West Yorkshire lol

Afternoon, guys!
Well I've got a bit of a problem... I managed to damage the 17mm hex fill plug while trying to undo it - still haven't manage to get it to budge, so does anyone have any ideas? I don't have any welding equipment. Also, would this be a suitable replacement for the plug once I've manage to get it out? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174731926932?_trkparms=amclksrc=ITM&aid=777008&algo=PERSONAL.TOPIC&ao=1&asc=20221115143056&meid=53cdfec83dfc43a58cd0f458f2289b1e&pid=101612&rk=1&rkt=1&itm=174731926932&pmt=0&noa=1&pg=4375194&algv=RecentlyViewedItemsV2&brand=febi&_trksid=p4375194.c101612.m4236&_trkparms=parentrq:113fe5361890adba1f05db06fffef80a|pageci:e37b213b-1803-11ee-98e6-e625dc72e5ea|iid:1|vlpname:vlp_homepage
I know it isn't an exact replacement.
Thanks in advance
I don't use the fill plug, far easier and cleaner to pull the tower out. After draining and sealing I just pour two 1lt bottles of VAG gear oil down the big hole.

Those 17mm plugs are difficult to abuse, I suggest you check your tools for wear or other issues.

I don't use the fill plug, far easier and cleaner to pull the tower out. After draining and sealing I just pour two 1lt bottles of VAG gear oil down the big hole.

Those 17mm plugs are difficult to abuse, I suggest you check your tools for wear or other issues.
Cheers. I'll have a read up about doing it the tower way.
I don't think I had the hex seated in the plug properly and it slipped, chewing it a bit - it might not be as bad as I'm thinking tbh, but someone on here has kindly agreed to send me some replacements - just in case.

Cheers. I'll have a read up about doing it the tower way.
I don't think I had the hex seated in the plug properly and it slipped, chewing it a bit - it might not be as bad as I'm thinking tbh, but someone on here has kindly agreed to send me some replacements - just in case.
Try a large torq bit tapped in

I pulled the tower out of my old box and it fell in bits, had suffered water ingress thou but personally I would never remove the tower unless I really had to

I pulled the tower out of my old box and it fell in bits, had suffered water ingress thou but personally I would never remove the tower unless I really had to
If it fell to bits, then it was dangerously close to dropping bits into the box. Mine did exactly the same and I lost a number of ball bearings. Thankfully the box still works OK and I expect one day I will discover a blob of bearings stuck to a magnet.

Anyone got photos of drain and fill plugs so I can identify before I stick my head underneath?
cheers.

Back