Gt Harwood,

Dave G

Hi there, having previously owned an A8 space frame and needing a smaller car then I think you can see where I am going with this. Bought at the end of January, local to myself on a cold and wet day so not the best way to buy the car but it was a good price and I needed a car after my BMW was stolen. 1.4 petrol on a 2002 plate, 89,800 on the clock, new MOT but no service history. Checked over as best I could and all as far as I was concerned was worth a punt on it. Only done approx. 150 miles since purchase but starts on the button and drives really well so pleased with the car. Love the styling and the solidity of the build. Even when parked up I have seen people looking at it which I imagine is through the badge and the rarity. Bad points are, lacquer peel, not a lot but enough to annoy, alloys need a refurb, the interior light switch needs sorting, more white than black and a horrible after market stereo, will need to source an original. Not had the bonnet off as yet, I imagine it will need a new cambelt etc. (is there any way you can tell if the belt has been replaced?] Still, I am really pleased to own the car and now also completed the Audi space frame range A few pics,

Attachments

• 95df99898db14dad90766eb934c01b74.jpg
    95df99898db14dad90766eb934c01b74.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 1a0d7a441dc34482adadb0499beb62ef.jpg
    1a0d7a441dc34482adadb0499beb62ef.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1522.jpg
    IMG_1522.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 58
  • 2f008365adbf46feb5a342157d00e325.jpg
    2f008365adbf46feb5a342157d00e325.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1526.jpg
    IMG_1526.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 59
I would warmly recommend getting on to those nice people at WOM Automotive down in Stoke on Trent and arranging immediate transportation of your car down to them for a new cambelt and waterpump. Another thought would be @depronman on here, not far from from you, and massively competent.

You really shouldn't be using the car with an unknown cambelt life attached to it. The consequence of failure is too grim to contemplate.

Most responsible mechanics will place a sticker under the bonnet to indicate when the belt was last changed.

The word "most" is happily related to "could" "should" and"would"

When faced with a car with no service history, just deal accordingly for a happy avoidance of tears.

When I bought my car seller said he replaced it 8 months prior that but couldn't prove it so I took the top plastic cover off to exposed top of the cambelt which look like new and used endoscope to look inside but mostly inspect the tensioner. You will get good idea what state is it.

Thanks for the advice, the car has not been used since I got the advice. Been a bit busy recently so my first job it to see if there is a sticker under the bonnet and if not then remove the plastic cover. My main problem is I have no real access to work on the car due to living in a flat but I can get a mobile mechanic out who is quoting approx. £350, fair price for the water pump, Engine coolant/antifreeze, timing belt kit?

Back