handbrake cables

guys, my cables are shot both sides, looking on auto doc etc there are different length ones left and right side, some say both are the same, anyone have part numbers, also seen the list on here for group orders but what or when or how guys on these, cheers

also do you have to drop the tank to remove the old cables or is that not necessary as one of the brackets to the body the drivers side rear cable is under the tank a bit, any help mucho appreciated

Hi
The exhaust and heat sheilds are in the way, you'll see when you take a look under the car.

Tank can stay.
If you have a rusty tank strap and enough free time it's another job to consider when your in that area.
Even if you loosen the two bolts and cover the strap in grease it will give it a few extra years.
👍

I was lucky when I replaced the cables on mine as I had the full exhsust plus the shields removed.

Petrol BBY
20240219_201909.jpg

I did replaced all 3 cables couple months ago and you don't need to drop the tank the key is to soak that bracket which holds the cable with some penetrative lubricant so you can dislodge the cable out. My was stuck pretty badly so I cut the cable with the angle grinder then pull the cable out to expose the other end of cable metal housing and use small hammer and thick metal pin which I hold on the front of the metal cable housing to knock the cable out. Luckily there is enough space to put the pin in and small welding hammer to do that. After couple proper hits it just popped out. Other side was very fidly because all the fuel lines are in the way but you can easily take the bracket out the bolt is easily accessible.

Easiest part was removing and installing middle lever cable by bending the heat shield to get the access and attaching a wire on the one end when you pull it out of the cabin then reattached the wire on new cable and pull it back inside the cabin.

Cables can be used the same lenght on both side the only difference is they won't align properly into the securing bracket on the rear axle. I ended up using zip ties. It's very easy and straight forward job when the cables are not rusted into the brackets. A bit of a nightmare if you can't easily pull them out.

Back