Heated seats questions

Edwrai

I’m currently in the process of installing heated seats I have the panel, and wiring and some seat covers I bought from a member a few years ago from the market place, however using an electric external battery and testing all together I cannot get the pads to heat and only 0.3v is seen at the seat plug ends, does anyone know if their seats work when the engine js not on? Ie the voltage being lower due to the alternator not charging, as I will be swapping the pads into my current seats which is quite a lot of work and I don’t want to find out I have a problem after I do this.

I have tried multiple heatmisters as I have a couple of climate panels but it doesn’t seem like this is the issue, I have the issue on both sets of pads.

I have tested resistance on each pad and it seems fine ie each pad type has roughly the same value.

Can anyone let me know if heated on the Audi a2 work with ignition on but engine off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm as sure as I can be that the heated seats only work with the engine running.

This is interesting, as from what I can see this must be based solely on voltage as even with 12.7v can can’t get the dials to output

Afternoon Ed,

Just been out to the Project OEM A2 which has factory fitted heated seats. I can confirm that the seats warm up with the ignition switch to on, without the engine running.

The power supply for the heating elements are essentially a pre-ignition live (terminal 30) and an ignition live (terminal 15). The same can be said for the heated seats in the Project EUD A2 as I retrofitted the seat heating looms in a similar fashion to a factory solution.

Hope this helps you diagnose the issue you’re experiencing Sir.

Kind regards,

Tom

Last edited:
I'm as sure as I can be that the heated seats only work with the engine running.
Just been out to the Project OEM A2 which has factory fitted heated seats. I can confirm that the seats warm up with the ignition switch to on, without the engine running.

Well of course I had to go out and check mine after reading that. They're @timmus retrofits to factory standard, and they do indeed work without the engine being on. You learn something every day :) I obviously never had them on long enough without starting the engine to find out - it did take a good couple of minutes for the heat to start coming through.

I’m currently in the process of installing heated seats I have the panel, and wiring and some seat covers I bought from a member a few years ago from the market place, however using an electric external battery and testing all together I cannot get the pads to heat and only 0.3v is seen at the seat plug ends, does anyone know if their seats work when the engine js not on? Ie the voltage being lower due to the alternator not charging, as I will be swapping the pads into my current seats which is quite a lot of work and I don’t want to find out I have a problem after I do this.

I have tried multiple heatmisters as I have a couple of climate panels but it doesn’t seem like this is the issue, I have the issue on both sets of pads.

I have tested resistance on each pad and it seems fine ie each pad type has roughly the same value.

Can anyone let me know if heated on the Audi a2 work with ignition on but engine off?

I think, lots of research, and some resistance measuring from Tom ( @2work ) the thermistor should be 10k ntc.
I am waiting on my upholstery man, so can't be sure. .
Mac

Well of course I had to go out and check mine after reading that. They're @timmus retrofits to factory standard, and they do indeed work without the engine being on. You learn something every day :) I obviously never had them on long enough without starting the engine to find out - it did take a good couple of minutes for the heat to start coming through.
Maybe I didn’t leave it long enough
Hi both,

The permanent/pre-ignition supply to the seat heating regulators is always there but doesn’t draw anything from the battery, the ignition live feed is provided soon as the ignition is switched on, no relay involved that is triggered by an engine on type feed. Terminal 30 and Terminal 15 for the positive side only.

Point to note if you’re leaving your ignition on for any length of time whilst tinkering into ensure the regulators are set to 0 or you’ll possibly run into starting issues the next time you need to use the vehicle.

Kind regards,

Tom

Last edited:
Afternoon Ed,

The power supply for the heating elements are essentially a pre-ignition live (terminal 30) and an ignition live (terminal 15). The same can be said for the heated seats in the a project EUD A2 as I retrofitted them seat heating looms in a similar fashion to a factory solution.

Hope this helps you diagnose the issue you’re experiencing Sir.

Kind regards,

Tom

The heated seat loom I have only had an ignition live as far as I can see. To terminal 30

Also this matches these instructions from a few years ago.

Post in thread 'Adding heated and lumber support seats?' https://www.a2oc.net/community/inde...ed-and-lumber-support-seats.39676/post-356109

Hi Ed,

That guide is quite helpful and a great find Sir. If you look at the text above the picture:

IMG_8809.jpeg

Specifically bullet 4 where it mention black lead, this is the ignition live which is also required for a factory type retrofit.

Kind regards,

Tom

Hi Ed,

That guide is quite helpful and a great find Sir. If you look at the text above the picture:

View attachment 118822

Specifically bullet 4 where it mention black lead, this is the ignition live which is also required for a factory type retrofit.

Kind regards,

Tom

Interesting but this goes to the light switch unit?

Interesting but this goes to the light switch unit?

Hi Ed,

Yes it does look to do that as per the aftermarket installation document you found. Having retrofitted seat heating a few times now I can confirm that there is only 4 feed/supplies required.

Not in pin order:
1. Pre-ignition live - terminal 30
2. Ignition live - terminal 15
3. Ground - terminal 31
4. Button illumination - 58b

I can only assume the picture guide is using Pin #2 at the light switch connector as a source for a terminal 15 feed. I’d have to check the EWD to confirm though.

Mac’s helpful screenshots above has all the answers too.

Kind regards,

Tom

Hi Ed,

Yes it does look to do that as per the aftermarket installation document you found. Having retrofitted seat heating a few times now I can confirm that there is only 4 feed/supplies required.

Not in pin order:
1. Pre-ignition live - terminal 30
2. Ignition live - terminal 15
3. Ground - terminal 31
4. Button illumination - 58b

I can only assume the picture guide is using Pin #2 at the light switch connector as a source for a terminal 15 feed. I’d have to check the EWD to confirm though.

Mac’s helpful screenshots above has all the answers too.

Kind regards,

Tom

I can only see 58b and 15a in those wiring diagrams I can’t see terminal 30

Back