Hello from Northern Ireland

Alan_B

Hi i have bought an A2 for my other half for Christmas it's a 2004 1.4 TDI sport 90bhp model.

She loves it but it's definitely needs a bit of work to leave it right so thought this would the best place to find out more info on them.

Screenshot_2023-12-17-18-58-45-90_d729ab80d3e27b5d0fac359b8b5ee13d.jpg

Going by the photograph, it looks like you`ve found a fine example, I think the wheels are from an A1, but you`ve made one massive mistake, which is quite common for the newbie.

You bought it for your other half, and not yourself.

Have fun making excuses to drive your other half`s car.

John.

Thanks John it's in good shape for it's age but does need a bit of mechanical work. So far I have replaced the timing belt and water pump with a lot of help from my brother. The next job is going to be replacing the gearbox as it's making some horrible noises.

Definitely a fun little car to drive.

I own a 1.4i petrol, and although I don`t have as much get up and go as a diesel, petrols are all blessed with a lovely gearbox, it`s currently having it`s cylinder head re furbished, due to valve problems but thats another story.
From what I`ve read Diesels do seem to have more gearbox problems.

Good Luck with the car.

I own a 1.4i petrol, and although I don`t have as much get up and go as a diesel, petrols are all blessed with a lovely gearbox, it`s currently having it`s cylinder head re furbished, due to valve problems but thats another story.
From what I`ve read Diesels do seem to have more gearbox problems.

Good Luck with the car.
Probably the low down torque, and the high mileage many of them have done. Lots of stop start, particularly the starts.
Mac

Welcome Alan, looking forward to hearing about your journey in getting this one back to rude health. Once fully sorted they are a genuine low-cost alternative to a modern car in terms of reliability.

My other half is still driving it at the moment even though the gearbox isn't great and she has already said she really likes the A2 which is good as she normally couldn't care less what she is driving.

Back