Hello - I'm new here.

bluest

Hi All, just signed up to the Forum. Don't have an A2 yet, but the hunt is on, I'll stick a wanted ad in that section in case anyone is looking to sell up. I was recommended this site by a member on Pistonheads, as the place to come for A2 info. I do all my own maintenance so I might look to you guys for help with upkeep once I find a car.

I've not had an Audi before but have had tonnes of other VAG and related cars. Mk2 Golf, Mk3 Golf, Ibiza, Polo, 924 and a 944. The A2 will be for my Wife, but it appeals to me for its unusual construction and the little diesel engine. I'm a proper geek engineer :)

I've been looking round the site a lot, and have learnt tonnes already, so thanks for sharing!

Welcome, you've come to the right place! Good luck in your search for a nice TDi....

Depending on your budget it may not apply, but 2003 onward cars had a bigger fuel tank (42l against 34) which makes quiite a difference to how many miles you get to a tank. I only bought mine because it was 2003 but (Beware) still only has the small tank (very annoying) as it had been sat in a showroom before the first owner bought it for about 6 months. Wont matter if your wife only does a small mileage. Best of luck, you have certainly found the best site about A2's Cheers Colin

Depending on your budget it may not apply, but 2003 onward cars had a bigger fuel tank (42l against 34) which makes quiite a difference to how many miles you get to a tank. I only bought mine because it was 2003 but (Beware) still only has the small tank (very annoying) as it had been sat in a showroom before the first owner bought it for about 6 months. Wont matter if your wife only does a small mileage. Best of luck, you have certainly found the best site about A2's Cheers Colin

Thanks for the tip, I'm only looking at '04 and later cars at minute anyway so shouldn't be problem.

Don't go for the 90BHP version of the Diesel! Many problems with the clutch/dual-mass flywheel! Look for the open-sky versions ....super effect! Check the roof for correct operation and lubricate it regularly! Petrol engines are smoother but diesels can return 60+ mpg and are only £30 road fund! Prices are rising for these cars and can be pretty high! To end up with a good car, you will have to be prepared to "tweek" it .... the ride is definitely hard on standard wheels/tyres! The members on this A2OC are a great bunch of people and help is always so freely given! Get that car soon and join in with us all! Kind regards to you! .... David

Thanks for the warm welcome. Can't make my mind up if we want OpenSky or not. Sounds like it's great when it works, but a nightmare if it fails.

What do folks do to sort the hard ride?

OpenSky is now being replaced under a 10year good will scheme by Audi if the car has a full service history, so don't worry about that. I love my OSS.
Hard ride can be ameliorated by avoiding the 17" alloys for a start (which look nice but don't really help!). An SE on 16s or even 15s will always ride better out of the box. If you want to spend money after buying it you can upgrade the shocks to Koni FSDs which makes a big difference too.
The 75PS TDis are more common than the 90s, and they can be easily and reliably re-mapped to achieve 100-105PS without any problem.

Find your TDi first!

OpenSky is now being replaced under a 10year good will scheme by Audi if the car has a full service history, so don't worry about that. I love my OSS.

Not if you use Amersham Audi
They cocked it up big-style and left me without it being done. I was then 5 days too late when I went to the good guys at Worthing Audi

:(
J

Posted from my iPlop...

Even if the OSS is dead, it is still a very nice piece of see-through glass roof like a targa, I'd love to have even a dead OSS in my car for that open feel but without the noise

Back