Help - My TDi has developed a coolant leak !

Raymie

My 1.4TDi has sprung a leak .

Coolant can be seen on the LHS of the engine dropping onto the gearbox

I have traced this to the coolant pipe which loops from the rail down to the oil cooler (I think that's what it is) .

Has anyone got a recommendation of where to get new replacement pipes from ? It's 11 in the image below.

1712488664102.png

Thanks,

Raymie

I've literally had this experience yesterday, although in my case it appears to have been the seal between the sensor housing (that the left hand pipe of number 11 is plumbed into) and the engine block.

Are you absolutely certain that it is pipe 11 and not the sensor housing? - if the housing seal is leaking it will dribble onto pipe 11 as well as cascading down onto the gearbox.

see this thread :

https://a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/coolant-leak-at-coolant-temp-sensor-again.45398/

Incidentally, if it does turn out to be one of the pipes in part 11, the sleeve that wraps around them can be cut and removed, then reasonably standard coolant pipe could be substituted as the corners the pipe has to run through from coolant rail to oil heat exchanger aren't too punitive.

Last edited:
I bought one of those last year for project mambo, can confirm a joy to fit!

Hopefully breakers are stock piling these as and when as its the classic tandem pump degradation of the rubber ends

I've literally had this experience yesterday, although in my case it appears to have been the seal between the sensor housing (that the left hand pipe of number 11 is plumbed into) and the engine block.

Are you absolutely certain that it is pipe 11 and not the sensor housing? - if the housing seal is leaking it will dribble onto pipe 11 as well as cascading down onto the gearbox.

see this thread :

https://a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/coolant-leak-at-coolant-temp-sensor-again.45398/

Incidentally, if it does turn out to be one of the pipes in part 11, the sleeve that wraps around them can be cut and removed, then reasonably standard coolant pipe could be substituted as the corners the pipe has to run through from coolant rail to oil heat exchanger aren't too punitive.
Yeah , the rubber is 'dozed' and gone all squishy so it appears to be consistent the classic diesel leaking from the tandem pump !

Thanks for the link to the new part from Audi tradition...

I bought one of those last year for project mambo, can confirm a joy to fit!

Hopefully breakers are stock piling these as and when as its the classic tandem pump degradation of the rubber ends
I'd like to say that I am stockpiling them, but they sell as soon as I get a tdi breaker in! Some folk are buying them for the shelf and to make sure they have one when they inevitably need one!

I recently had to replace the pipes that run from the oil cooler to end of the block area (under the tandem pump) on my TDI 90 (ATL engine). I believe this is the same pipe you are looking to replace. I am aware there are a few different variants for this pipe. The coolant inlet / outlet ports my oil cooler face upwards, and on the block, one outlet faced down while the other outlet faced horizontally away from the engine. I include this as my mums TDI 75 has a similar pipe which has different end orientations. I would advise trying to find the part number on your existing coolant pipe as there are many similar looking options for other cars. If its of any use, I ordered the pipe linked here: https://www.oemvwshop.com/8z0121086d-coolant-hose-audi-a2-8z-p1232676/ It was about £90 delivered and took about 2 weeks to arrive.
attached here are some pictures of the old part vs the new:
thumbnail_IMG_4362.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_4361.jpg

Just to be clear, the pipe i received was a genuine VW/Audi brand new replacement.
hopefully this is of some help, any questions feel free to ask!
cheers,
Joe

I recently had to replace the pipes that run from the oil cooler to end of the block area (under the tandem pump) on my TDI 90 (ATL engine). I believe this is the same pipe you are looking to replace. I am aware there are a few different variants for this pipe. The coolant inlet / outlet ports my oil cooler face upwards, and on the block, one outlet faced down while the other outlet faced horizontally away from the engine. I include this as my mums TDI 75 has a similar pipe which has different end orientations. I would advise trying to find the part number on your existing coolant pipe as there are many similar looking options for other cars. If its of any use, I ordered the pipe linked here: https://www.oemvwshop.com/8z0121086d-coolant-hose-audi-a2-8z-p1232676/ It was about £90 delivered and took about 2 weeks to arrive.
attached here are some pictures of the old part vs the new:
View attachment 122090View attachment 122089
Just to be clear, the pipe i received was a genuine VW/Audi brand new replacement.
hopefully this is of some help, any questions feel free to ask!
cheers,
Joe
Hi Joe,
Yes that image shows a near identical bulge at the same place where the pipe fails just after the spring clip but before the 90° bend.

I've managed to make an interim repair by cutting out the old bend and cobbling together a replacement 90° section and connecting into the original pipe along the straight section with an in-line adaptor !

Hopefully that will keep me going until I can get the new pipe.

Cheers,

Raymie

Back