Help, need the alarm permanently turned off

OldSchool

A2OC Donor
Ages ago someone said they could switch off the A2’s alarm? Desperately need mine turned off as it is randomly sounding alarm. Just need it off.

Completely understand it is probably a symptom of another issue but at this point that doesn’t matter just need alarm off.

Any advice?

It blinks the lights and makes the noise…
Thanks. That’s a useful clue.
Either the alarm is still enabled and is being triggered by something, or the CCCU is faulty and is just merrily sounding the alarm for fun.

I’d be happy to do whatever’s necessary, but there are a few miles between us.

Cheers,

Tom

"if" its the same as an A4 of the same age ish, (2003 i removed one from) you can locate it and remove it without causing any problems

"if" its the same as an A4 of the same age ish, (2003 i removed one from) you can locate it and remove it without causing any problems
I don't think the actual alarm is a separate controller. The sounder can be removed, but not the "alarm controller" itself, which seems to be causing the problem.
Mac.

Thanks. That’s a useful clue.
Either the alarm is still enabled and is being triggered by something, or the CCCU is faulty and is just merrily sounding the alarm for fun.

I’d be happy to do whatever’s necessary, but there are a few miles between us.

Cheers,

Tom
Hi Tom,
Hope you’re well and recovering from your operation.
Couldn’t he just remove the siren for now.
This you did for me a couple of years ago,as I had a similar problem.
Regards
Colin

Hi guys, I am in Lymington but would be willing to drive to location for procedure...

alternatively, I could try removing the speaker for the alarm... the neighbours would very grateful ha ha...

also, the battery drained over the easter bank holiday so had to put it on charge...

Started up perfectly and drives great but on way back home from the shops the speedometer stopped working - the needle just dropped down to zero whilst I was driving...

then I little further down the road the power steering died and the light came on display for power steering fail too...

then a little further down the road another light came on the display saying sensor fail with the oil icon I think on it...

MOT is due on the 12th so not sure what I should do...

Hi Tom,
Hope you’re well and recovering from your operation.
Couldn’t he just remove the siren for now.
This you did for me a couple of years ago,as I had a similar problem.
Regards
Colin
Thanks Colin,

I'm getting there ...slowly.

In your case, the siren was faulty and was triggering itself.
In this case, the siren is being triggered by the alarm system. Unplugging the siren will stop it from making noise - for which the neighbours may be grateful - but the underlying problem of the alarm being triggered would remain. This would mean flashing lights, battery drain, etc.

the speedometer stopped working
the power steering died
another light came on the display saying sensor fail with the oil icon
In addition to the issue with the alarm, it seems that a number of sensors are also beginning to fail.
If the car otherwise drives well, I'd say that these issues are worth fixing.

Under normal circumstances, I'd be happy to resolve all of these issues. However, having recently had a knee operation, I'm currently limited to 20 minutes of standing up, and I certainly couldn't change an oil level sensor right now. Furthermore, I'm a long way from the south coast, but if you're happy to visit me, I'll gladly resolve whatever I can.

All the best,

Tom

Last edited:
Thanks Tom for your advice…

Just had the AA chap over and he says there is a fault on the power steering booster - it will most likely need changing…

As far as the speedometer he didn’t get anything directly associated with it but that the yaw sensor was bad and that it was possible this was impacting the speedometer

I think He mentioned power steering was in realm of 500 or 600 quid to replace the motor…

I have AA breakdown cover that would most likely cover that but the other issue - speedometer is not clear what problem is - possibly connected to yaw sensor not working

Local mechanic can probably investigate Monday or Tuesday but not sure I can Really spend money on big repairs.

I can Walk to work and local shops and I have A train station 1 minute from my flat so could go car-less but have always had a car… argh…

Any investigation should start with a VAG specific scan.
I can't see an obvious link between the alarm, which should only be active when the car is locked, and the power steering, which is only active when the ignition is on.
A power steering fault would usually trigger a power steering warning on the dash, is there one?
Without a VAG specific scan, you'll be into the parts lottery.
Mac.

To my mind I wonder if there are two things going on

The alarm firing is one thing, but for me the likely battery drain issues may account for random other issues that are occurring. A2s do seem to be sensitive to voltage related false positives. It is possible to charge the battery to a level sufficient to start the car and for all to seem well. Agree a scan will be very useful in this case

Justin

Back