I love my A2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaine

Past Member
In light of the current problem posts just wanted to post a few thoughts.

I have just completed 1 years trouble free motoring in my fantastic A2 1.4 Tdi SE. Even after one year I still glance back at it when walking away, and still feel good about buying it.
My dealer has been excellent throughout the whole owning experience. Since I haven't had any key issues, I actually can't say how they would then have faired, however so far os good.
From a quality point of view, the only real problems/queries I have had have been that one of the rear seats wouldn't lock down (dealer fixed it perfectly), plus it was a little unclear what oil I should be using (cleared up with a litle help from some forum members and my dealer). These very small issues have not even come close to denting my owning experience.

I think we can all agree, that in many cases the frustration level experienced from having a problem with your car is directly proportional to the level of responsibility taken by your dealer. All car makers have their bad dealers, who will protect their own interests before their customers, however I dont believe for one minute that the car maker itself understands what goes on.
Even when a dissatisfied customer contacts the carmaker directly, the dealers story will always come into play.

Maybe I am a little strange, however personally I go into buying a car expecting the worst (previous Fiat owner). In case of the A2, I have been very satisfied and would recommend it to anyone. (Of course advising them to keep well away from any used '01/'02 models - :D) Cars are made by, quality checked by, sold by and supported by people. People make mistakes.
This is of course an excuse, and not a reason for all the problems, however finally we should always take this into account with any car. From my relatively little experience in owning cars, I think that AUDI are one of the better manufacturers making very few mistakes, however from this forum you would never have guessed it.

Cheers

Kaine

Kaine

I've owned SEATs for a number of years now (4 in total) and was very impressed with quality versus price (you can't say a SEAT is all "quality feel" stuff, but for the price it is!) and the dealer service has been very good. So when I wanted a change I thought that by moving up to a premium brand in the VAG would be a step in the right direction. And when we had the initial contact with the Audi dealership, this was confirmed-great service.

However, the subsequent quality of the product and service by the dealership has left a sour taste. But with all things in life there are good and bad experiences. I can praise SEAT until the cows come home-others wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. But they complain and tell the world, just like I'm doing now.

So if anyone asks me what my SEAT experience is-I can only tell of great things. If anyone asks me about my Audi experience, I can only tell them my experience of the poor quality of an A2, and the very poor post-sales service of the dealer. I thought things would get better with the replacement A2, which, to give the dealer credit, they did authorise in a short space of time from my meeting them. But still your given the run around when it comes to fault rectification (and the fact it shouldn't really happen in the first place). What would you do if your 28 inch widescreen TV went wrong 10 times in two months-would you keep it or demand another TV by another manufacturer?.

If they had agreed to a small gesture of goodwill to smooth over the time, money and effort I've spent in trying to achieve the perfect A2 then I would still be happy, but to say that I should be happy with a replacement A2 just rubs salt into the wound. Oh well, there you go, you live and learn.

I'm still pursuing getting shot of the A2-whether I achieve it or not is another matter!.

We all suffer good and bad-and I know there are happy owners of A2's-I was once, and still love the A2 itself, just not the examples I've owned or the service.

Steve - 2003 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior

Also, people with problems will no doubt hunt out a forum like this for advice so it could well be more disproportionate than usual.

I'm sure there are good A2's and if I had had one I would be a mere 10 months from paying it off.

Kaine,

You are not alone, and I bet my bottom dollar that 99% of A2 owners have loved their cars – at least at one time or another. I am very aware that those on this forum (like my brilliant self) might often come across as being somewhat negative, however its always worthy of thought in terms of how and why I or others might be like this. For certain on my part it’s hardly as though I have fallen out the wrong side of the bed in a bad mood.

Its not constructed as a detrimental comment, but I do remember the likes of Steve (Runboy) in the past giving individuals like myself the odd mild knock for my tone of criticism, however take a peek at his attitude now that he has endured the true Audi experience. Of course no one is more sympathetic to his plight than myself, but the punch is that I figure one must experience the misery before ever being truly sympathetic to it.

As a slight deviation in topic I spent much time writing to Whitehouse Audi & Audi UK stressing that they should be more open and honest in the claims being made on the A2. Today I note on the WA site that the best in fuel consumption is no longer expressed as 80mpg, but a more honest 60mpg. This to me is the right direction, and I genuinely believe such moves will be a bonus especially when some owners will be very happy at acquiring more than 60mpg – all of which surely is better than 99% of owners feeling cheated that they cannot get 80mpg.

Regards
John Disdale

It's true JD-when you were suffering your problems mine hadn't started, so I found it hard to believe you were being treated in such a way.

I am now a believer......

It's something like "a person will tell 10 other something has gone well, but 100 if it goes wrong", we don't want to as you don't want to admit sometimes you've been had over, but there comes a point where it goes over the line and you come out fighting....I'm putting on the gloves!!

Steve - 2003 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior

18 months - Cracking car - cracking dealer.[8D][8D]:)[8D][^]

icon_smile_cool.gif

2 months + 3500 miles down the road and still enjoying the A2 experience. My A2 is an Oct 51 plate with 11500 miles on the clock and except for the exhaust recirculation valve having to be replaced it has been trouble free motoring, (touch wood).

Kaine, I too share your 'go into buying a car expecting the worst' attitude. This is the result from my experiences with previous car manufactures and dealers. Firstly they shaft you with the trade in value for your old car, then they are incompetent in rectifying faults - words of comfort like 'we think we have got it this time, give it a go and let us know how it is', - and finally when you have had enough of it all, offer you Jack ***t to take it off your hands.

My accountant summed it up - the best two ways of getting rid of a hard earned wedge of cash are,

1. Set fire to it
2. Buy a car with it
Some would say No 3 is employing an accountant.

It is a sad state of affairs when the customer has to go head to head with dealers and even manufacturers to fight for fair service. The worrying trend seems that generally unless you go for a Japanese manufacturer it could happen to you. Does the law need to be changed?

So far my Audi dealer has been helpful, but I know that if it all went pear shaped and I wanted to trade the car in, they would offer me approx £4000 less than I paid for it. This may explain their attitude towards customer service / satisfaction - ‘we have you over a barrel so stuff you'.

That’s all, I'm off to find a four leaf clover, cross my fingers, touch wood, buy some lavender off a gypsy lady etc.

Harvey.

TDI SE AMULET RED, OPEN SKY,1/2 LEATHER, BOSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back